“Nice resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Nice resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Ocean Pointe Suites for a week. It is a good central location for excursions to the Miami area and Key West. This was our second time staying at the resort and it is still a very nice place to stay. The units are fully equipped. I did feel like the unit we stayed in this time could have used a bit more furniture and cooking utensils. The pool, beach, cafe and gazebo are all excellent. It would be nice to have free wireless or at least free wireless in the pool/cafe area. I would recommend the Ocean Pointe Suites as a good central spot for touring the keys and Miami.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Last weekend, my husband and I traveled to Key Largo with several friends for a dive trip. We all stayed at the Ocean Pointe Suites, which was recommended by one of the members of our dive club. As a good club member, I made my reservation online without conducting my normal TripAdvisor research. As the travel date got closer, I then started reading some reviews and got a bit concerned. One of the reviews recommended that we specifically request a newly renovated room upon check-in. This condo complex has been there for some time, and all units are individually owned. Some owners have updated their condos while others haven't.

We rented a two bedroom, two bath for three nights, and upon check-in, I learned about the "star system". The 3 and 4 star condos have been recently renovated and highly rated, while the two and one star units have not. Trust me, ask for a 3 or 4 star unit...you won't be disappointed. We stayed in unit 2207 in building 2, and it was just lovely. The unit was very clean, comfortable, and we slept like babies. x

While there is a full kitchen, you may want to bring your own full-sized coffee maker, coffee and filters, creamer, dish towels, and dishwasher detergent. Of course, this depends on how longer you stay and how much cooking you intent to do. Also, there is no daily maid service included like you would expect at a full service hotel. I personally have no issue with this, but others might.

The condo complex is close to supermarkets, so you can do your shopping when you get there. There were also several good restaurants close by...I would recommend Tasters Grill which is only about 5 minutes away. As this was a dive trip, it was great that the dive shop, Conch Republic Divers, was only about 5-10 minutes away as well. I have to say that we can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a 3-4 star condo when checking in. These rooms have been recently renovat...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa H
On behalf of our staff we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo appreciates your genuinely positive comments in reference to your most recent stay. We look forward to serving you as our loyal guest again in the near future.
Lutz, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Our Scuba Club from Tampa just returned from our 4 day and 3 night stay at the Ocean Point Suites at Tavernier and we had a wonderful stay. The resort was great !! The staff was friendly and very helpful and worked with us when we had to adjust some of our dates of arrival. The suites were well furnished with everything needed and all you needed was your food. The pool was huge and some of our folks spent their days there while the rest of us went scuba diving. There was a total of 11 of us in this group and all were very pleased with the accomodations. This was our second stay here and we will return !!!

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom ocean view and loved it...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hudsondivers
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Beautiful resort and on first impressions room was very nice and spacious....However on turning down bedsheets to retire at night...stains and hairs were not what we were expecting to see..We had to strip and change all the bedding before going to bed...A simple check or at least a change of sheets between guest visits should be a minimum housekeeping requirement...It took a shine of what should have been a great stay....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lawees
Franklin, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Ocean Pointe Suites in Tavernier Florida is wonderful. We checked in Sept. 7 for a one week dive trip and had requested the top floor for a good view. They advised that they didn't have a top floor 1 bedroom unit as we'd requested but then they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom unit 1 floor down. We were in 3307 and everything was perfect!

To start the resort has everything a couple or family or group could want and we saw lots of all of these. There is a large outdoor pool with some b-b-q grills, a playground area next to that and some lovely picnic tables and grills scattered throughout.

The check-in area is by the water and the marina. For an extra charge you can bring your boat and keep it there during your stay. Checkin is friendly, fast and thorough. In the checkin building there is a full bar and snack bar manned by some of the nicest folks I've met in a long time. Dee, the afternoon bartender was delightful! Happy hour is from 4pm - 6pm daily. Under the check in building is a covered area with nice wooden tables and chairs. Perfect for a bite to eat or just a great shady place to watch the water.

Next to the check-in building is the beach. This is one of the few sandy beaches in the Keys and it is clean and filled with beach chairs. There is a roped area for swimming and it is very calm. A long wooden walkway wanders thru the mangroves out to a pavillion with seats for watching the boats go by. You can actually see both sunrise and sunset from here.

The rooms are fully equipped with a full kitchen (ours included a blender), plates, glasses, all items you could need. The living room included a large flat-screen LG TV with cable that had a great HD picture. The sliding glass door in the living room led out to the balcony that overlooks the mangroves and the water. Be sure to bring the best mosquito repellant you have - this is the Keys! The balcony is the only negative I have about this entire place and it is minor. The balcony is tiny - barely big enough for 2 plastic chairs and 1 small plastic table. Still a lovely place to sit and watch the water.

Our unit had a King bed in the master with a large closet that had an easy to use safe and lots of room for clothing. There was an ensuite balth with a big tile shower and the towels were big and fluffy. There are also towels for the beach and pool in each unit as well. Wall mounted tv with cable.

The second bedroom had a queen bed and was adjacent to another full bath with a jetted tub/shower unit. Closet here was ample as well - also had a smaller flat screen tv.

Mattresses were just the right firmness and a choice of pillows on each bed. Air conditioning was great and kept the rooms cool and dry.

Major point here if you are staying with kids - there is a washer and dryer in each unit!

In all I would highly recommend Ocean Pointe Suites for anyone. We loved it!

Room Tip: All rooms are above the ground since it is built to avoid flooding. Would definitely recommend Buil...
Leonardtown, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Spent 3 nights here on non-family boy's trip (scuba, fishing, chilling).

Goods: Grounds were nicely kept up. Good price for a spacious 2 bedroom. Our unit had flat screens in the living room and master bedroom with xfinity package (but no HD); Staff was friendly.

Bads: Room had significant issues (AC not working properly, horrid dishwasher smell, noise from another development, general disrepair); $6.95/day for internet.

Because I booked early and it is the slow season, I got a 2 bd oceanview for $127/nt. I think that's a great deal if you get a nicer room than we got.

Like most other reviewers have stated on Tripadvisor and other sites, the quality of the rooms vary quite a bit (since they are independently owned). Our unit (1416) is overdue for some maintenance and updating.

The master bedroom furniture and bed were very nice, but the AC failed to keep the condo cool. During the day, the condo would be 80-81 degrees. After the sun set at night, the unit would be about 76. I called maintenance as soon as we got into the room and they sent a maintenance main over right away. He changed the batteries in the thermostat and said it would work now. The a/c did kick on after that, but it didn't solve the issue. When I called later about other issues, I mentioned that the a/c still didn't cool the unit off, but they were out of ideas.

The kitchen had an off smell to it and when we open the dishwasher to see if it was the culprit the smell was absolutely horrid. Evidently someone started a washing cycle, but then stopped it mid-stream. The 2 inches of water at the bottom of the dishwasher was murky and there was black mold and other material floating around. It was a very nauseous smell.

I called maintenance about the dishwasher and other issues (broken blinds, broken shutters, holes in wall). Again they promptly sent someone over. He squirted in some dish soap and ran the dishwasher. It still has mold and black stuff inside the dishwasher and it needs a serious bleach bath.

We were in bldg. 1 which is located near another development/residential area and as far from the front desk as you can get . On Sat night someone was having a loud outside house party with music and someone speaking into a microphone. They quieted down about 11 or so. I hate to complain about people partying on a Sat night as it wasn't a huge deal for me and my buds, but it would have been a major issue if I had the family with me (young kids).

Speaking of family, one of the main reasons I stayed here was to scout it out for a future family trip. The 'beach' is small and not sandy and snorkeling there wouldn't be fun at all (shallow and grassy). So I'll look elsewhere for any future trips..

Room Tip: Try not to get Unit 1416.
Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tony N
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We take pride in our property and strive to exceed guest expectations. When we fall short we share your disappointment. On behalf of our staff please accept our sincerest apologies. We have brought your concerns to the attention of the appropriate department manager and assure you we will follow up with them in addressing all your concerns. Please check your messages for further correspondence. Thank you!

Travellers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is a hard review for me to write as I try and be objective, but If I am totally objective I would give Ocean Pointe Suites just 3 stars if I compare to other places I have stayed in our travels. However, if I compare this place to only places in the Florida Keys, I have to give it 4 stars. The resort is just off the Overseas Highway tucked back on the Atlantic side of Key Largo. If you have a boat this is the place to go. There is a small marina, boat ramp and beach. The pool looked inviting although we didn't use it. The facilities are well kept and the staff is friendly. There is a guard at the guard house sometimes. When we arrived the guard was there to direct us to where we had to check in, but we went in and out several times during our stay and there was no guard, only a sign on the window. We took a two bedroom two bath suite. There was a full well appointed kitchen. Our room had an ocean view over the mangroves. There was a table and 4 chairs. My 4 year old grandson asked where the rest of the chairs were since there were six of us and there were only 4 chairs, turns out he was right on the money. For a place that is supposed to sleep 6 not all six would fit around the table. Each bedroom had its own bathroom and was very clean. The beds, well the beds need replacing. This is a condo hotel so the owner of this unit needs to buy some new mattresses. The mattress on the pull our sofa was ok but even my two grandkids complained about feeling the bar under the mattress. All the adults took the beds since there was no way an adult could even sleep on the pullout sofa. Really it’s not as bad as it sounds after a full day of sun, sand, drinking and boating you could sleep on the tile floor and be comfortable. However a stay of more than a couple of days the beds could be an issue.

Back to the star rating, like I said compared to other places in the keys this is a great place, However outside of the Florida Keys this is just average maybe even below average. If you are a hotel snob and you expect Ocean Pointe Suites to be like a Hilton or Marriott type resort don't stay here because it's not. The Hilton and Marriott are just down the road a ways and are way more money. If you want a nice quiet family atmosphere and you know in advance what you're getting this is a great place to bring the boat and spend the weekend.

Room Tip: Visit your room and if you don't like it ask to be relocated. Since this is a condo hotel some...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Hampton Inn Key Largo
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 19 in Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!