“Nice place”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Centreville, Virginia
“Nice place”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We got a ocean view suite during Christmas time and the view is just beautiful! The room is a little small but enough for 4 people (we had a two-bedroom suite). The beds are very comfortable, much better than the standard beds in hotels. The facility is a little bit old, but very clean. The staff are very polite and helpful. I would definitely think about booking the resort again if I have a chance to visit the area in future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kaitlin D, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
On behalf of our staff we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo appreciates your genuinely positive comments in reference to your most recent stay. We look forward to serving you as our loyal guest again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Polish first
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I really lke this place. The room was a two bedroom (1 King/ 2 twins and a pull-out couch). It slept six, but I wouldn't recommend six adults. It was very clean and nicely decorated. We were able to cook our own meals for the majority of the time we were there. The beds were comfortable, pull-out couch was not. The lanais were small, but had a great view of the ocean and trees out back. The pool was very nice and clean and they had a full-service bar. Nice little hottub too. The beach was clean, but small. But, this is the Keys and there so many places to go that are really close. The location was equidistant to Islamorada and Key Largo. Islamorada offers charters for every type of boating excursion. Key Largo has lots of restaurants and fun activities too. It's tucked away from the main road which offers some serenity. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful (except for the one who checked us in late on Saturday, Dec. 21st - she told us the cafe was open till 10 when it stopped serving food at 9 and was not very friendly). The bar/cafe was a nice spot to get a drink or quick snack. I would recommend this place and would go back if I have the chance. The Wi-Fi was not free, but we weren't there to be plugged in anyway. Manager did tell me they were working on free wi-fi, but requires consent of all owners. If you are lookinig for a quiet place to stay with friendly staff and clean facilities, this is it. You do need a car to get around.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1203 and it was really nice.
1 Thank LesliJ1966
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 December 2013

When we booked this we were not sure what we would get. We received a Canadians condo that kicked... Butt. To whom ever you are, thank you. I can tell you one thing about the uncertainty of renting from these private owners. Next door to our awesome condo, we overheard an owner undertaking renovations. He seemed upset that the property was insisting that he update his room or else they would not allow it to be rented out. I am not for certain that this was the case, as it was hear say and I may have had had a cocktail, but it seemed to be true when I met another owner who was also undertaking renovations. We loved it. You won't find a traditional sand beach that stretches on and on, but it is pretty cool to explore the keys. YOU MUST HAVE A CAR (we met somebody who didn't in the awesome pool). I am sorry, I feel I am rambling. This was a great place to get away.

Room Tip: I think this is the luck of the draw. Ours was awesome. I think it was 311 but I can't remembe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravlerKay
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I got a great deal from bookit so the price was amazing. 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms LR and kitchen for under 125 a night is unheard of. The check in process was quick and easy. Our first room was a little outdated but still comfortable. It seemed clean and suited my family of 6 just fine. At least it was until our first night was underway. After using the oven, eating dinner and having a huge thunderstorm we discovered the kitchen was infested with cock roaches. Now my family is from the south and understands that roaches can be considered "normal" for that environment but there were just too many for it not to be gross. The front desk offered to switch rooms that night but half the family was already in bed so we stayed there to sleep. The next morning they switched our room to right next door. Before we were even settled into the new room they had the exterminator in the old one taking care of business. The new room was much nicer: all marble bathrooms, updated furniture, cable in both bedrooms, docking station for music, stainless appliances and no bugs! Our experience from that point forwards met all our expectations. In short.... pros: clean pool and hot tub, grounds are well kept, view is beautiful, staff is friendly, hotel allows easy access to both key largo and Islamorada, good restaurants, grocery stores and activities all within a 15 min drive. Cons: hard beds, coffee maker used prepackaged bags rather than a filter cup, balcony is tight- 2 chairs and no room for anything else, beach is at the end of the property which is a small walk (which was only an issue because my mother uses a walker). I would stay here again as long as the room had been sprayed for bugs first!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jolietian
On behalf of our staff we appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank you for choosing Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo as your destination of choice when visiting the Florida Keys. We value your comments and observations in reference to your most recent stay. We hope your future travels bring you back to Ocean Pointe.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a gated property with a pool, tennis courts, a marina, a snack bar and boat parking.
The two bedroom two bath suite had a washer and dryer, kitchen, and two balconies overlooking the ocean. The suite was clean and functional but was in the rented and getting tired condition.....ie very dated but do-able. The pool is open until 11pm. The pool is heated and very comfortable for the kids and us. The hot tub was small and not too hot. Tennis courts were well maintained and lighted. There was a playground area that looked well maintained, but we didnt have any little guys to use it. This was the best value we have gotten here in the keys for the last week. We payed 220ish a night and felt we got our moneys worth!

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The water pressure was weak
  • Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We took the two bedrooms suits which was great
Master bed was really comfy
Second room had two twin
Large leaving room area with kitchen table
Kitchen was also good addition
Washer and drier in the room
Very clean and friendly service

Pool area was very nice including hot tub

Beach area was little far and hardly no sand

Stayed December 2013
Homestead, Florida
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Very disappointed with our experience at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We booked a two bedroom and stayed in room # 2407 for two nights from 12/20/13-12/22/13 with our three children and in-laws. I wish I had read these reviews before booking. You do not get what you see in the professional photos. This is total false advertisement.

As far as the little positive feedback I have; the master bedroom had a fairly new bedroom set. The mattress in the master bedroom was clean and very comfortable. The washer and dryer in the unit were also upgraded. The a/c was also working very well. The staff was very friendly and attentive upon checking in. The facility grounds were well maintained.

Here goes the negative. My biggest issue with this place was that the kitchen had a roach issue. You can tell the place has been fumigated because a lot of the roaches were found dead. Nevertheless, it was quite disgusting and unpleasant to have small roaches all over the kitchen floor, pantry and counter top. I am 7 months pregnant and could barely get myself to eat any of the food we brought or cooked. Aside from the master bedroom and washer/dryer, the rest of the unit was outdated and old looking.

After we unpacked and started getting ready to go to sleep (and before we noticed the roach issue), we pulled out the sleeper sofa and one of our teenage boys laid on the bed and his feet sunk through the bottom of the frame. There was a broken coil on the sleeper sofa frame that caused the corner end to sink in. I called front desk and they immediately sent over a maintenance person who told me he would not be able to fix it and they offered to switch our rooms. They did immediately bring us a key for another room on a different floor and we went to check it out but the rooms were even older looking than the room we were in. My husband didn't want to go through the trouble of moving all our stuff so we decided to just stay in the original room and our teenage boys had to put a chair under the edge of the sleeper sofa to hold the mattress from caving in. After I showered the following morning I opened up a towel to find it with stains that appeared as if the towel was placed on a dirty surface after folding it. The master bedroom comforter had a blood stain on it that was covered by another sheet that was placed on top of it. (see my photos)

Every time we passed by a room with the doors or windows open I would peak in to see if the rooms were nicer than ours and they were pretty much all the same. If 90% of the units are not remodeled they should not be using pictures of their nicest units to advertise. That's not what you are getting. All this does is set up guests for disappointment. Honesty is the best policy.

If it had not been because my mother in law had been looking forward to this trip for a long time and they planned to go fishing that night I would have asked for a refund and driven back home or found another hotel. I really wish the hotel management would have shown more concern about the roach and bed issue and offered some sort of compensation. This really took away from the pleasant impression I received from the staff upon checking in.

On the morning we were checking out I was alone in the room with my son and I heard someone open the door. Thinking it was my husband I walked out of the room in my pj's and found the cleaning lady entering the room. Keep in mind this was at 10:45am (15 minutes before regular checkout time) and we had been given an extended check out until 12pm anyways. The lady didn't even knock before entering.

On my way to check out and drop off the keys I encountered maintenance staff pressure cleaning the area below the check in office. The floor was tiled and was all wet. Again, I am 7 months pregnant and was concerned I would slip and fall which thankfully did not happen. I don't understand why the facility would conduct these type of activities right at check out time when guests have to go up the stairs to check out.

Our experience this weekend was overall negative. I tried to make the best of the weekend getaway but honestly I would have been better off staying at home.

10 Thank 509cristinat
Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo. We take pride in our property and strive to exceed guest expectations. When we fall short we share your disappointment. On behalf of our staff please accept our sincerest apologies. We have brought your concerns to the attention of the appropriate department manager and assure you we will follow up with them in addressing all your concerns.

Travellers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Holiday Inn Key Largo
#6 of 20 in Key Largo
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!