“Inconsistent, and a Waste of My Time!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo

Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Long Grove, Illinois
“Inconsistent, and a Waste of My Time!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Shame on American Express for doing business with this place. Was concerned by the negative reviews, but felt confident that American Express would have previewed properties. If they did, it was blindfolded!
The photos show a new building...be aware that is the OfficéRestaurant, and it is new. The rest of the complex is old. A beach is pictured. The actual beach has some sand at the shore, but it cannot be used for swimming as the water is gross. There is a marina. Others in the area boast clean water and fish: This water is algae-ridden and full of floating muck.
Were given Unit 1404. Disgusting. Musty, old furnishings and crumpled sheets on the bed. Creepy water stains on the furniture. When we asked to be moved, we were told there was nothing else available. It took almost two hours to get a new unit. Funny how the manager comments in many of the negative reviews that the customer should have made their concerns known to him. Well, we did, and he was in a meeting. With all other management. No one would respond. It took calls to both our Credit Card company and to American Express to get new accommodations.
We apologize to the owners of the unit we are now in, the Kays. I have to give the management and general facilities a low rating, but we can assure others that this Unit is beautiful. Exactly the same layout as the first, but upgraded and decorated tastefully. Most associations have standards that owners must meet, but this place is inconsistent!
If you do not care about facilities, and can manage to book Unit 5210, then you will be fine. I`d avoid it in any other situation.

Room Tip: 5210 is the best Suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank LADB
Joyski C, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Good afternoon @LADB, Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would like to reach out to you & discuss your stay & see what I can do for you to make up for the experience you endured during your stay with us... I can be reached at 305-853-3000 please ask to speak with Joyski (Administrative Assistant) or Jaret (Resort Operations Manager), once again thank you...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
Berkeley Lake, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were looking for clean accommodations close to the Tavernier Creek Marina and we were not disappointed. For the money, this is a good value for the Keys. There are all kinds of great restaurants both north and south of the Suites. It was close to our fishing guides and a boat rental operation. in fact, our guide will pick-up and drop-off at the Suites marina. We asked for a room on a high floor with an ocean view. The view was amazing but the balcony was a bit small. If you are looking for a full service resort you will be disappointed with the food and bar service, but it didn't bother us one bit. The office staff as friendly and accommodating. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available for better views and breeze on the balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank G8rJohn
@G8rJohn, thank you for taking the time out to give Ocean Pointe Suites a review. It's always a great feeling when we do not disappoint & deliver that touch of excellence to our guest. The views our property has to offer are very nice & tranquil especially when the sun is setting. I'm happy that our location was of convenience to all the activities you had planned for your stay. We hope to see you soon, have a wonderful day.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had issues from day one. The place is ran down. The web site is photo shopped. They shut down the elevator to our building when we had a wheeled chaired bound vet in the building. They wasn't following NFPA guidelines.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank OIFVeteran_12a

Travellers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

First time we stayed in 2006 we had a 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo. Both kids were young and having a full kitchen, washer/dryer and 2 TVs was very convenient. This time in 2014, we had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and the bedrooms were on opposite ends of the condo. This layout was more private. The kids room had 2 twin beds & connecting bath with a jetted tub. The master had a king size bed with a private bathroom with a shower stall, no tub but it did have 2 seats. A very nice unit. The only negative was the neighboring units kitchen shared a wall with the master bedroom wall. Unfortunately every time they slammed a cabinet door/drawer we heard it. But it beats a hotel hands down.

The amenities were nice, the pool is huge. The hot tub is very tiny, maybe 4 people which seems odd for so many condos & people. The walking path can only be used during daylight but it's very much old Florida, wear shoes, use bug spray. The cafe is more a bar that serves some food. There is a small beach that is clean, has picnic tables, chairs. The boardwalk is lit at night so it's very pretty. Lots of boaters here because they have a marina. The location is a bit out of the way. There's a convenience store nearby but that's it. You'll have to drive to all restaurants and activities. Construction on US 1 is horrendous and traffic is super slow. Islamorada was the worst. It took almost 2 hours to get to Key West because of the traffic.

The staff was very nice. On our last day housekeeping knocked on the door at 10 wanting to know what time we were leaving. I thought that weird - checkout is 11:00!

Room Tip: If your traveling with a large party or kids this place is great. You don't need to leave unless...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Joyski C, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Good afternoon @3ChixRule, & thank you for taking the time out to review Ocean Pointe Suites. I'm happy to hear that you are a loyal repeat guest,as well I'm glad to know that you appreciate the convenience of the many different amenities our property has to offer, sounds to me like you were home away from home. I apologize about the neighbors noise, & we appreciate your feed back, we hope you visit Ocean Pointe Suites very soon, as well I can be reached at 305-853-2013.
Clinton, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our unit was not one of the ones pictured although close to a few of the ones that don't look so good. The beds were fine, The mattress on the rollaway was rotten and had holes - really gross so we crammed three of us in the king bed. Really the place is fine - just a marina type feel. The beach was nice it had great docks walking out to the water. The bar area is nice and the bartender was very friendly. The food selections - chips beef jerky and several rotten apples could be improved for a family looking to grab something quick. We really just used this as a nights sleep and it was fine.

Room Tip: Look at the numbers people suggest and select those!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank susan o
Hello @SusanO & thank you for giving us a review. Its unfortunate to hear the conditions in which you found the Sofa Bed, if you would be so kind as to please provide me with the unit # in which you stayed in so we can see about getting that sofa sleeper replaced. I'm glad you liked our Bar & Beach area, the dock is very nice & offers a really nice view. I would like to provide you with my contact information & if you decide to visit Ocean Pointe Suites again you can call me directly at 305-853-2013.
Central Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The room wasn't like what was pictured on line at all. We were given a condo that was very dark and dingy so we requested a change. The second condo was dirty and had a greasy residue in the kitchen counters. We had to buy disinfectant wipes to clean the kitchen, bathroom and tables with. Sofa bed had a dirty sheet on it, mattress on platform bed fell thru frame to floor and we had to fix it. Mattresses and pillows were uncomfortable. Beach and pier were closed by late afternoon for weddings so we couldn't use them. Only positive was view from small balcony.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Morherof2boys
Joyski C, Administrative Assistant at Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Good afternoon @Motherof2Boys, thank you for taking the time out to give us a review. I regret to hear about the issues you endured throughout your stay with us, that is not the Ocean Pointe Standards. One phone call to the front desk could have changed that, on behalf of our staff I would like to apologize for your inconvenience. If possible can you please provide me with the unit # in which you stayed in. I would like to check out the mattress & the bed frame to assure with Maintenance that this wont happen going forward. I hope you decide to give us another try, if so please contact me directly at 305-853.2013. Thank you
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked this hotel with much skepticism. Several people said that their rooms were dirty or out-dated and that the service was horrible. However, not being able to beat the price, and being a bit of a gambler, I decided to book and I was not disappointed! I started by reading reviews right here on TripAdvisor and took tips from other travelers. The biggest key is to book direct with this hotel, do not use a third-party website. The second key is to remember that the rooms are all privately owned so you might get an outdated room. I would suggest asking to look at the room before signing anything. Our room was a bit outdated but this didn't bother me since I was only in the room to sleep & shower (because I was on vacation and sitting on the beach!). We had an ocean-view room which was very peaceful at night. The pool is out of this world. Like seriously, the biggest pool I have ever seen in any hotel. Ever. There was always seating available and even with all the guests (and kids) it was still quite relaxing. My absolute favorite aspect of this hotel was the beach. Being in Key Largo, it's a bit hard to come by a public beach that you don't have to pay for. There was always ample seating and was peaceful and serene.

This place gets a lot of negative reviews but I can happily say I would definitely come back. The staff is very friendly and helpful and in my opinion, you shouldn't be spending the majority of your time in your hotel room when on vacation anyways. My bed was comfortable and the unit was overall quite clean so I couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlwaysOnTheGoGo_1206
Hello @AlwaysOnTheGo, thank you for taking time out to give us a review, I'm happy to hear you gave us a try despite the comments you read about us. I am glad we did not disappoint! Yes, our pool is huge & on some Saturdays we have had a live band. Our Beach area is very private with an awesome view I can see why the beach was your favorite spot. We hope to serve you once again as our loyal guest, when you get ready to return please feel free to give me a call at 305-853-2013.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Hampton Inn Key Largo
Coconut Palm Inn
Coconut Palm Inn
#2 of 19 in Key Largo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews

Been to Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo? Share your experiences!