“Great day of fishing!”

Florida Keys Flats Fishing
Ranked #6 of 26 Tours in Tavernier
More attraction details
Owner description: Hello and welcome to Florida Keys Shallow Water Flats Fishing. Are you ready to fish the gin clear flats of Islamorada, Key Largo and the Everglades in the Florida Keys? Come on down! I'm an amicable and patient guide who will work hard to make your day on the water a success. I have lived and fished in the Keys for over 30 years and have been guiding fisherman just like you on the flats of the Florida Keys for over 20 of those years. Whether you choose to fish for tailing bonefish and redfish or giant tarpon, I assure you an enjoyable, interesting and exciting day in the Florida Keys. Though I primarily sight fish for these gamefish, we can fish for easier targets as well if your skills are not as high as your expectations. For the novice fisherman, I'll provide friendly fly fishing or light spinning tackle instruction. For the accomplished angler I can help to fine tune your casting skills. Expert? Our game fish should provide quite the thrill and challenge you're looking for.
Merritt Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day of fishing!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Captain Barry took me and my two boys, ages 7 and 11, out fishing. He was a great guide and shared a lot of knowledge and tips with us. He took us to a great redfish spot where we some many tailing, but we just weren't skilled or lucky enough to land one. So, we headed to some easier fishing more fit for their age and caught shark, jack, ladyfish, catfish, trout and more! My boys were catching fish every cast. Had a wonderful day!

Pawling, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Custom Tailored Trip!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On a recent family vacation my two young sons and I were able to slip away from the rest of the family for a trip with Captain Barry Hoffman from Flats Guide Service. Before the trip even began Barry was very accommodating to us. Based on the weather forecast, I was concerned about the possibility of bad weather. Barry offered to either start later or take us on another day if the weather were too bad. Turns out the forecast was wrong and we were off on our adventure. Barry was extremely patient with the boys explaining every step of the way and answering a never ending stream of questions. Barry tailored the trip for the necessary action to keep the boys interested. We all caught trout, Jacks Crevalle's and Snapper on both spinning gear and fly rods. Barry gave both boys fly casting lessons and extended the trip beyond the agreed upon time so they both caught fish on the fly. I lost count but the boys kept track and we caught and release over 100 fish in the half day trip. Barry was an excellent tour guide and pointed out many interesting facts about the Everglades. We were able to spot many exotic birds in the mangroves and were treated to a visit by three Manatee's. I would highly recommend Barry for your future trip.

1 Thank Ken W
Arlington, Virginia
“Most highly recommended!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I spent a couple of days fly-fishing for redfish with Barry. He is the hardest working guide I have ever known and a pleasure to spend time with. He put me on dozens of fish, worked with me on my casting, and exposed me to the beautiful backcountry of Florida Bay. His calm, affable nature guarantees an enjoyable day of fishing. He is simply superb. I look forward to fishing with him again.

Boise, Idaho
“Best Florida Guide Iv'e Fished With !”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have been coming to the Keys to Fly-fish for 10 years and have had several good Guides.
Barry is at the top of my list! Barry works hard to get you into Fish, and will TEACH NOT CRITICIZE if needed. His calm nature and years of experience make it a day of great fishing !
First time out with Barry my Friend caught his first Red Fish in the back country and next day I caught a nice Tarpon on the Oceanside! Great Trip!

Visited June 2014
flatsguide, Owner at Florida Keys Flats Fishing, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Enjoyed the days with you Lyle and Ed! A pleasure to fish with folks who care about the environment and enjoy the outdoors as much as myself! Looking forward to fishing with you again!
Annapolis, Maryland
“A great choice for fishing the flats”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My son and I fished with Barry earlier this week in the most challenging conditions the weather could deliver, and Barry put us on tarpon on the ocean side and a variety of fish in the back country. We had a great time. Barry is an excellent teacher - he made quick adjustments to our fly and spin casting techniques to suit the conditions and we immediately saw results. For avid anglers, he is very knowledgeable and has many years of experience in all aspects of fly and light tackle fishing in the area, and he will put you in position to do your best. His boat and equipment are meticulously kept, and you will be impressed with his skills. For novice anglers, he would be a great choice to introduce you to the sport and the amazing eco-system of the keys. We have fished with many guides in Florida and on the East Coast, and consider Barry a first class professional. Highly recommended if you are interested in fishing the keys.

Visited June 2014