“Even better than our first visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
CT
“Even better than our first visit”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

It took seven years, but we made it back here. It felt like coming home! Mike and Carol are great hosts. Their attention to detail throughout the property is amazing. we loved snorkeling around the beach, relaxing in the cabana, and watching the beautiful sunsets in the evening. We'll be back here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We could not have chosen a better place to stay in the Florida Keys! This resort lived up to all of our expectations. The owners have made this a perfect oasis to relax in. I had a lot of questions about different fish I saw and about nearby activities. They answered all of my questions with enthusiasm. Carol gave us information on some great snorkeling companies (see my review on Keys Diver) and Mike offered to let us borrow a fish identification book. There is so much to discover on their private beach. Every morning I sat on the dock and watched the different fish and birds that enjoy their bay. They also have kayaks you can use for free. We took the 2 person one out. There is snorkeling equipment if you want to do that as well. We stayed in room #4 - bridges. I was hesitant to pick the smallest size room. But it was not an issue at all. There are so many great places to sit outside that we were hardly in our room. The cats on the property were an added bonus and very friendly. The rooms could not have been cleaner and more charming. All of the photos on the walls of bridges really completed the theme of our room. From what I understand Mike the owner photographed them all. The only amenities this resort does not have are a pool and a continental breakfast. However, I did not miss these amenities at all. There is so much more here that you won't even miss them. I am looking forward to coming back here someday. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone staying in the Keys.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #4 - bridges. I was hesitant to pick the smallest size room. But it was not an i...
2 Thank packer022049
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I just completed our second stay at the IBR, this time with our two kids (ages 10 and 6) and it was an all-around perfect stay. We booked the 2BR option (room #9 Coral Reef and #10 Key Largo join together) and it was perfect for us and the kids as we each had our own space, with our room being the "hub". Mike and Carol are impeccable hosts and surprised us with an unsolicited ($70+) military rebate after exchanging conversation that I was on active duty. They were also superbly supportive of my kids' enjoyment and provided kid-sized life vests for them to kayak in (kayaks provided free of charge). The rooms are exquisitely functional without being overly ornate ... just the kind of place to feel comfortable in without feeling guilty if you track a little sand in the room. The rooms include a full-size fridge, stove-top, and plenty of storage. The bathrooms are exceptionally clean and the showers are on par with the finest 5-star accommodations I've ever seen: roomy with a heavy, soul-cleansing blast of hot water ... nothing left to ask for! The private beach is an arrangement of well-kept genius; beautiful, groomed sand, very nice lounge chairs, hammocks, and umbrellas, and a well-equipped pier overlooking crystal clear waters that are perfect for snorkeling. My kids enjoyed the waters at their own relaxed pace finding seahorses, crabs, and an array of tropical fish that beat out most other beaches we'd seen. Be sure and introduce yourself to Mike and Carol on your stay as they are so professionally discreet you might not even notice them. Their recommendations on things to do helped us recover from a day of poor weather and made our trip even better. Book early, I'm already planning my next trip now 7-months out!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Bill B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

lovely place, lovely people. Stayed in Bungalow #4..neat,clean,quiet. the only negative was that these bungalows are attached...not really a problem ,just a surprise. Nothing interfered with our good time.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jbcochran
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I spent three days at Island Bay Resort and I can honestly say I have never stayed somewhere so clean and comfortable. The owners obviously know what they are doing and have come up with a perfect spot to get away. Because Chad's (which is great) is the only restaurant within walking distance, we used the bbq and kitchenette for meals. The small beach was an amazing place to sit with a drink and watch the sunsets. I left feeling so relaxed!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fairmountpa
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at Island Bay Resort just 3 nights and loved our time there. The resort is small, the groundswell groomed and the rooms charming, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed sunset from the private dock and beach. Lots of places to sit and lounge. The owners provided a great list of restaurants to try, we ran into them last night at a restaurant on the list! Very convenient location. We dove with Conch Republic just down the road. We plan on a return visit soon!

Room Tip: Don't worry about your room location. Our room was only a few in from the highway but we heard...
3 Thank scubababe50
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Don't miss this amazing little oasis located between Key Largo and Islamorada. The owners, Mike and Carol, have paid attention to EVERY detail. My wife and I stayed in Islamorada for the first two nights of our trip, and we would have stayed here had we known what an immaculate little gem we would find on our last night in the keys. Now, we'll just have to come back. The grounds and rooms are charming, decorated with just enough cute island accessories (but never too much). Mike is super handy. Each room has a great deck. There's a perfect boardwalk down a pristine little private beach complete with several sets of teak lounge chairs for sunning and relaxing. I am writing this sitting on a plush couch in a handmade tiki hut complete with ceiling fan. The place is perfect for a romantic trip or a vacation with family. We'll be back. That's the best recommendation right!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeauxDoug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
Playa Largo Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!