“spectacular!”

Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I went to celebrate our 26 year wedding anniversary.
We were very pleasantly surprised from the moment we turned on to the property. The lay out, theme, cleanliness, originality, view and tranquility was exactly what the doctor ordered!! Put us both in a Keys state of mind.
We absolutely recommend this place to any couple who's looking for the The Keys getaway with the real old Keys feel!
Mike and Carol thanks so much for all the gracious help. You made our "day".
Angelica and Sean McNally

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We had a short stay here and wish we had another few days. Our cottage (Conch) had everything we needed, spacious and really well equipped and decorated. Private beach and dock is literally a few steps away with stunning sunset views and lots of sunloungers/ hammmocks / cabanas for a lazy day.It has a guest laundry and dive lockers available. Snorkeling equipment also available as well as sea kayaks on site. Mike met us on our arrival and was very helpful with restaurant advice and snorkeling info. Can't recommend this place highly enough. Just perfect.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank ajduk
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family visited Island Bay Resort a few years ago and it was the best of our key's vacation. We stayed at the resort while we explored (drove) the rest of the keys. This resort was the best part of our vacation. It was a little pricey, however the resort was well worth the money that one spent to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 886Annie
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My mom, two kids and I visited the Island Bay Resort, and we were thrilled with everything about it. We took two cottages (#5 Bahia Honda and #6 Sunset), and they were perfect.

As others have described, we turned off the busy highway after almost missing it, and were delighted to see the adorable cottages, tiki hut, signage, bocce ball court, and the view of the beach and bay at the end of the short driveway. It really was like entering another world!

Carol and Mike have given attention to the smallest of details: the music
playing in the room upon our arrival, the beautiful photography displayed on the walls, little porches with tables at each cottage, tiki lamps lit up each night, pretty vignettes throughout the property with two chairs or two chaise lounges. I can't say enough. And the sunset - directly in front of us on their beach, as if in a movie. This is why the bay side is perfect!

The property seems best suited for couples on a romantic getaway, but my kids (10 and 12) had the time of their lives. They floated in the bay, practiced snorkeling, saw lots of great sea life under the dock, took the sea kayak out, played corn hole, and just enjoyed being safe on the property to wander. If you are traveling with kids who are content with quiet exploring, your family would enjoy it (more rowdy kids might like a bigger property - or at least the other guests might prefer that!) ;-)

When we explored other areas of the Keys, I saw several properties that I'd almost booked....seeing them in person made me all the more pleased with the charming and well kept Island Bay Resort.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Katy S
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Passed it the 1st time we were following our GPS, but then we learned to recognize the colorful manatee marking the entrance! Upon pulling into the driveway we were blown away by the attention to detail and the stunning paved driveway!! From there is was just better and better.... We loved our waterfront room. Mike and Carol had a nice little arrangement of flowers and chocolates on the decorative towels waiting for us on the bed when we arrived! It was such a nice touch, since I had mentioned it was our 20th anniversary trip when I booked the room. I found myself wishing I could live forever in the tiki hut, LOL!!! The love and care of the property is evident, and reflected all around. The only thing I hated kinda goes with the territory, and that was the abundance of No Seeums and Mosquitos. Be sure to have your bug spray can handy at all times! The peaceful, relaxing, and serene setting just can't be beat. The location is close to everything too, whatever you want to do is just a short drive away.... We can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jpolo65
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed four nights in July. This is really a great place to relax and enjoy all that the Florida Keys has to offer. I stayed in #5, Bahia Honda room. All rooms are close to the beach. Rooms have all you need, kitchen is small but you don't come to the Keys to cook. I barbecued on the grill two nights and had everything I needed. If you forget something WinnDixie is just a few minutes away. I walked to Chad's for breakfast. Mike and Carol really keep the resort spotless and beautiful. The only thing I can pick at would be the slightly noisy a/c. Had a great time hope to return sooner then later.

Room Tip: Any room is good, lower the number closer to the beach