“Perfection!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Bay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tavernier
Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coral Gables, Florida, United States
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The attention to detail the owners have dedicated to this resort is uncanny! From the grounds being clean and neat to the personalized touches found in and around the room and resort - everything was done to perfection. We rented one of the efficiency units and even that had a kitchenette with everything you would need for a comfortable stay, including a stove top. Outside was a BBQ which had we been staying longer would have been put to good use. The bathroom fixtures were beautiful and again, attention to detail was on point! The bed was quite comfortable as well! The grounds boasted Adirondack chairs, hammocks, beach access, kayaks, corn hole, a tiki hut, plenty of tables and beach lounge chairs, as well as an outdoor shower! AMAZING! Every inch of the property! My now fiance chose this as the site of our engagement and we cannot wait to get back there!! The owner was friendly and helpful at all times. Excellent quick vacation experience that I will never forget. We will most definitely be back for an extended stay in the near future!

Room Tip: I truly believe you can't go wrong with any of the room options. We had one of the more basic u...
Green Features: The hotel definitely makes their efforts to be green!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
3 Thank Jennifer L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I can't say I have every been more pleased with an accomodation. If you're looking for a large resort with a gym keep browsing. This place is quaint and perfect for a quiet getaway. I took my daughter for her 14th birthday and we were over the moon. If I had to pick a drawback it would be that the water is not the classic turquoise Blue Lagoon scene that jumps to mind when you think Florida, as there is a fair amount of grass growing just below the surface. But we went snorkeling and realized that we had been wimps and frankly, idiots, not to go ahead and enjoy a plunge. It's long, clean, pretty grass and there was no boogie man/creature. I promise! Besides, you can drive for miles and not find a better swimming hole (we tried). Our stay was in sweltering late June so we laid out in a hammock watching the nightly thunder and lightning show in the distance as the warm wind blew in over the night sky. It was heavenly. The hosts are like the aunt and uncle you actually liked and looked forward to seeing when you were a kid. They are friendly and informative, eager to help, and leave you the hell alone unless you ask them not to! The bungalow was so beautiful, I was uber-inspired to do some updating of our own place when I got home. We BBQ'd the first night and just settled in.They even provide a small cooler for your outside time that you can take places with you, provided you return it. We had a rare argument-free three nights (yes, you read that right... she's 14) and truly enjoyed our time together. I imagine a couple would be hard pressed not to be in dreamland there. We went snorkeling with snorkelingisfun and swam with dolphins at Theater of the Sea, both recommended and very nearby. We ate at the places recommended and never had a bad experience. Ample parking and every ammenity. What a find. Look no farther for an amazing Florida Keys experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank WestSeattleJen
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to celebrate our 26 year wedding anniversary.
We were very pleasantly surprised from the moment we turned on to the property. The lay out, theme, cleanliness, originality, view and tranquility was exactly what the doctor ordered!! Put us both in a Keys state of mind.
We absolutely recommend this place to any couple who's looking for the The Keys getaway with the real old Keys feel!
Mike and Carol thanks so much for all the gracious help. You made our "day".
Angelica and Sean McNally

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We had a short stay here and wish we had another few days. Our cottage (Conch) had everything we needed, spacious and really well equipped and decorated. Private beach and dock is literally a few steps away with stunning sunset views and lots of sunloungers/ hammmocks / cabanas for a lazy day.It has a guest laundry and dive lockers available. Snorkeling equipment also available as well as sea kayaks on site. Mike met us on our arrival and was very helpful with restaurant advice and snorkeling info. Can't recommend this place highly enough. Just perfect.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank ajduk
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family visited Island Bay Resort a few years ago and it was the best of our key's vacation. We stayed at the resort while we explored (drove) the rest of the keys. This resort was the best part of our vacation. It was a little pricey, however the resort was well worth the money that one spent to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 886Annie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My mom, two kids and I visited the Island Bay Resort, and we were thrilled with everything about it. We took two cottages (#5 Bahia Honda and #6 Sunset), and they were perfect.

As others have described, we turned off the busy highway after almost missing it, and were delighted to see the adorable cottages, tiki hut, signage, bocce ball court, and the view of the beach and bay at the end of the short driveway. It really was like entering another world!

Carol and Mike have given attention to the smallest of details: the music
playing in the room upon our arrival, the beautiful photography displayed on the walls, little porches with tables at each cottage, tiki lamps lit up each night, pretty vignettes throughout the property with two chairs or two chaise lounges. I can't say enough. And the sunset - directly in front of us on their beach, as if in a movie. This is why the bay side is perfect!

The property seems best suited for couples on a romantic getaway, but my kids (10 and 12) had the time of their lives. They floated in the bay, practiced snorkeling, saw lots of great sea life under the dock, took the sea kayak out, played corn hole, and just enjoyed being safe on the property to wander. If you are traveling with kids who are content with quiet exploring, your family would enjoy it (more rowdy kids might like a bigger property - or at least the other guests might prefer that!) ;-)

When we explored other areas of the Keys, I saw several properties that I'd almost booked....seeing them in person made me all the more pleased with the charming and well kept Island Bay Resort.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Katy S
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Passed it the 1st time we were following our GPS, but then we learned to recognize the colorful manatee marking the entrance! Upon pulling into the driveway we were blown away by the attention to detail and the stunning paved driveway!! From there is was just better and better.... We loved our waterfront room. Mike and Carol had a nice little arrangement of flowers and chocolates on the decorative towels waiting for us on the bed when we arrived! It was such a nice touch, since I had mentioned it was our 20th anniversary trip when I booked the room. I found myself wishing I could live forever in the tiki hut, LOL!!! The love and care of the property is evident, and reflected all around. The only thing I hated kinda goes with the territory, and that was the abundance of No Seeums and Mosquitos. Be sure to have your bug spray can handy at all times! The peaceful, relaxing, and serene setting just can't be beat. The location is close to everything too, whatever you want to do is just a short drive away.... We can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jpolo65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
Hilton Key Largo Resort
#14 of 19 in Key Largo
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,707 reviews

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!