“This is it...”

Island Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I been to all the 5 Star triple diamond resorts but you know what you need a break from that too.,
This is a little pearl on a quiet key low profile and very tropical. There are so manyPalm trees you cant even count. My first time I can say the feeling of
complete relaxation has finally set into my soul. The place is clean, the owners keep it immaculate the view is one of the most beautiful especially during the gorgeous sunsets. Each one is different. The little cottage has its own cute patio complete with Barbeque, and plenty of lounge chairs as well as sitting areas. Kayaks are FREE, you can go right into beautiful Gulf bay and explore the Mangroves see turtles fish and beautiful birds. You will be awakend by the song of birds and say I had one of the best deep sleep in years. My bed was perfect comfortable and very very clean. This can be a very romantic get away or place where friends can gather and be alone and enjoy company. I highly recommend it if you truly want to feel like you been on vacation. Sometimes the constant tipping waiting on line to go here and there make a reservation
at these mega resorts gets a little tiring so give this place a try. I dont write many reviews but this little resort with its own private clean little beach deserves a good one.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nobleeagle

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Very beautiful location and grounds and the rooms are very cute. A lot of care has been put into the decor. The mattress, linens and pillows need to be replaced. The shower was lukewarm, not hot.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank veracraig
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This was a trip my boyfriend and I took for post graduation and pre-deployment. I spent hours looking for a hotel that fit what we wanted. The reveiws for Island Bay were fantastic but I wasn't sure when I looked at the website. Man am I glad I went with the reveiws. There isn't a better place we could've stayed. Mike and Carol were the most hospitable resort owners I ahve ever encountered. The small details that they do, made all the difference. The beach was so quiet and breakfast was beautiful on our porch looking out at the ocean. Definitly wake up early one morning and take out the kayaks, its worth it! I'm already looking forward to our next trip.

1  Thank Jessica_Sam
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We lucked out and was able to book the last room for a two night stay. We were greeted with a friendly reception from the owners. It is a little 9-10 room resort owned by a married couple who moved to the keys from Texas. It looks like she liked to decorate and he liked to work on the property and it shows. The room we had was the 'fishing' room (forgot the name) but each room is decorating by theme and the details are amazing. Of course, clean rooms, comfortable bed. Each room has a bedroom, a living room and kitchnette with 1 bathroom/shower. There is also an area you can wash/dry your clothes but we only stayed 2 nights so we didn't need it. We just rinshed out our swimsuits and placed it on our private porch/deck area along with the wet beach towels (provided) and the next morning, it was dry from the heat. and island breeze.

This is a nice resort where you can just take th kayaks (1 singular and 1 double) out to explore the bay shoreline, or the relaxing bobber, or use the snorkel/fins to check out the fishes. If you have a boat, there is a pier you can dock it. The beach area is really nice...and pictures do not do this place justice. The owners gave us really nice suggestions on where to eat, play and sightsee. Very friendly...the guests are friendly and keep to themselves.

If you are looking for a relaxing time, low key yet comfortable, clean place - then check this place out. We wish we could stay longer but have to return to make more money to come back. When we return, we plan on staying here again! :-)

3  Thank Gear_girl
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Mike & Carol were great hosts! The rooms were spotless & the beach was great! a quiet & tranquil vacation, Great place to stay between Miami & key west, we will be back.

1  Thank mbay
Reviewed 5 April 2010

When we booked our stay at Island Bay back in December, it was based soley on the reviews on this site. I checked out the resort website, and picked a cottage based on that. Often what you read, and what you see on-line isn't quite what you get, so I kept my fingers crossed. What we found was a gem in the keys - almost hidden away, although we were right on the Highway 1. Carol and Mike have put their personal touches on everything. The cottages are clean, comfortable and very well taken care of; the grounds are immaculate, and the beach, although small, is groomed daily and presents an absolute paradise to all. Chad's restaurant, and Theatre of the Sea, as well as a day trip to Key West were added high points of our 5 days. Everything that has been stated in previous reviews holds true, and our stay absolutely exceeded all expectations. Thanks to Carol and Mike for making our first trip to the Keys outstanding.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sunseekers2051
Reviewed 28 March 2010

This was our second time staying at the Island Bay Resort and we were happy once again! This place is a great place. Each 'cottage' has its own theme and personality. It's kept up very nicely and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The owners are very friendly and will do their best to make your vacation special. The beach is a great place to relax.
We enjoyed the availability of the double kayak as well and spent a great afternoon kayaking around the area. We'd highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Atlantic Bay Resort
#7 of 20 in Key Largo
Holiday Inn Key Largo
Holiday Inn Key Largo
#11 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Island Bay Resort? Share your experiences!