“A very nice Florida hotel”

Creekside Inn Islamorada
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tavernier
Falls Church, Virginia, USA
“A very nice Florida hotel”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed for five nights over Christmas holidays and it was a very nice stay. Check in was smooth even though our plane was delayed and we didn't arrive until after 1 am. They e mailed us directions how to get in (which we didn't see) and they had posted a note with a phone number to call.

Our room (#9) was spacious and clean. Unlike most, it didn't have a doorway on the parking lot but that was fine. Window space in the room was limited (you can't look out), but the patio outside our door was fabulous. The hotel is right on the canal.

The room was well equipped. The a/c is an old window unit that ran constantly and that could be an issue for some. Didn't bother us. We didn't notice any street noise, even though it is right on a main highway.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a problem with a sticky lock and the young lady at the desk was right on it.

It's an old hotel that the owners work hard to keep updated and clean. It's not a luxury resort, but it's a great value for the price.

Room Tip: Room 9 is good sized
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leonsreed
German F, Owner at Creekside Inn Islamorada, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We extremely value our customers opinions. Yes, we offer a true value for a great price and we are glad your experience was a delightful one. We truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with all our guests so they walk out the door feeling refreshed. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked this hotel thru Expedia and I called the hotel 4 times with no answer, which should have sent up a red flag to me, but instead I called the 1-800 number on Expedia to find out if they accept dogs. This was our only concern because we are a couple who travels with our two small dogs and we always make sure that where we are going is dog friendly and never have we had any problems or issues. We were booking for New Years Eve and so we wanted to book in advance to make sure we could secure a place and Expedia made it clear to us that this hotel does accept dogs so we booked it. When we got to the hotel and checked in the front desk was on the phone and didn't even acknowledge our presence with so much as a glance while we stood there for 10 minutes waiting. They then checked us in, swiped our card, and we took a glance at the room before unpacking, shrugged our shoulders and said "hey, its 2 nights and we'll only be sleeping here." Then we proceeded to unpack our stuff and dogs from our car only to be stopped by an employee that said "hey! Wait don't move" as though I did something wrong and then the front desk lady ran out and said "if those dogs even enter the room I will fine you $250 and then be forced to kick you out." Immediately I was confused. She began to tell me that this was their NUMBER 1 policy and that if any policy was important to this hotel it was this one and that the manager would never allow dogs on the property. To which I responded that I only booked the hotel because I wad told that it was dog friendly and I had been on their website, as well as my boyfriend, and we had yet to see something stating that dogs were not allowed. we stood in the parking lot with dogs and bags in hand while I explained to her that this then must be some sort of misunderstanding and she proceeded to tell me she would have to call the manager (because there is not one on site) and see what they say. Us being reasonable people agreed that was a good idea and my boyfriend even said he would be happy to talk to the manager about the situation himself. The front desk girl kept telling us that they would "probably" refund our money and we should find another hotel but at the time this was near impossible being 1 night before new years eve, every hotel in the area was booked. My boyfriend then ended up getting on the phone with the manager just to explain the situation and to ask if maybe there was a way (via a pet fee or deposit) that we could stay seeing as that it was one day before new years eve and it was going to be impossible to find another hotel. Instead my boyfriend could not even get a word in. The manager kept talking over my boyfriend on the phone and raising her voice at him and not even caring about the situation. In fact she told him that if he "had bothered to look at their website he would have known" and "we wouldn't be having this discussion." After about 5 minutes of being talked over and totally disregarded my boyfriend said "ok I see this is pointless" and got off the phone. No apologies over miscommunication or misinformation were given and no help by the front desk or the manger to remedy the situation was given. Not even a " let me call a couple hotels in the area and see what I can do, so sorry about this whole mix-up So sorry that you guys had to drive all this way at least let us help you find a room for the night." Nothing. We got no sympathy, no refund and no care at all. It was a day before new years and we had nothing else to do but drive all the way back home. To top that off the hotel room was a box like dungeon with a tiny rectangle window and the back of the hotel by the canal smelled like fish sewage, and we were willing to stay there and still would be! If they hadn't been so cold and uncaring about their customers travel plans gone awry. Had they been more apologetic about bad information and had tried to help us out they would have gotten a better review. We travel all the time and I have never encountered a more unfriendly place in my travel experiences. Miscommunications happen all the time but the importance is how the staff handles it and handles you. We were told explicitly in the end that their number one policy has always been no dogs/pets allowed not even service dogs and that we should have looked at their website to be more informed since we couldn't get a hold of them by phone. Funny thing is both my boyfriend and myself looked at the website several times before going to the hotel and never came across a "no dogs allowed policy" even though that seemed to be their motto, and after we left we scoured the website again and I took screen shot of the policy section of their website and no where does it mention that they do not allow dogs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
59 Thank laynam81
German F, Manager at Creekside Inn Islamorada, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We are constantly working towards providing our guests with the utmost hospitality and service. We are extremely sorry for the confusion but we do have a very clear and strong pet policy, and all our online distributors are aware of it. We did try our best to accommodate you unfortunately it was New Year's Holiday. Once again our apologies for all this situation, wishing you the best.

Management Team
305-852-2351
creeksideinn@terranova.net

Travellers are raving about these Tavernier hotels

Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Wonderful location to stay with a family. Very comfortable. The negatives were musty smell to rooms and aging décor. The aging décor doesn't matter to us at all. What else would you expect? We had a great little suite with a separate bedroom, small kitchen and 2 baths. Slept all 5 of us very comfortably. I enjoyed having my coffee in my pajamas sitting next to the canal watching the fish swim by and the boats pass. One afternoon our daughter even saw a manatee up close. There are 2 pools and a nice sitting area by a small swimming area in the canal (if you would want to do that). The staff is very friendly. Warning -- if you are arriving after 8 be sure to make arrangement for your key. A surprising plus was the restaurant on site that I think is run by someone else called Made 2 Order. This place has good food but closes at 3 so go early. Right next door you can rent kayaks and paddleboards to use on the canal. We love this place and hope to return one day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to know you had a beautiful family vacation and you saw the manatees! Yes, they like our backyard. With the Management Team we have addressed your concerns on musty smell though it is a complicated issue in all those rooms that sit right on the water. Also we are looking to "revamp" the aging décor with a completely new layout design for all the rooms -coming soon-!! Once again, thank you for your input and we truly hope to see you again. Wishing you the best!
Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My son and I spent 6 nights at the Creekside Inn while we did some SCUBA instruction at the Florida Keys Dive Center. For our purposes, it was ok, a place to crash after a long day of diving. The property is an old two story concrete motel, whereby the front of the property is accessible via the parking lot and the back of the property to the creek with access to the ocean. The rooms were very basic, somewhat clean, however the kitchenette in our rooms consisted of a microwave and small refrigerator. The bold sign on the refrigerator door states "no fish or chum" which pretty much sums up what the property is about. Very basic, old "wall banger" air conditioners which were very noisy and really no amenities. The bathroom towels were really lacking and were so thin, I would have been better drying off with paper towels. The owners were obviously spending some money on the exterior of the property while were we there, which is needed. During our stay, we saw very little of the staff, except a cleaning lady. So in summary, if you are looking for a spot to crash after fishing, diving or boating, it is fine...you will sleep through the din of the air conditioner. The old adage applies here, you get what you pay for....the rates we had were pretty attractive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the water are preferred, but know that the view is limited.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Chathamjack
Dear Chathamjack, Thank You for your review and for staying with us! We are proud to say that our hotel has more than 1,000 ft. of canal front dockage and we are able to support your interest in SCUBA diving (we have 3 excellent Dive Shops walking distance from our property). We take reviews very seriously and I will personally investigate your concerns. Thanks again for your review and hope to see you again soon. Wishing you the best!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I can see there is a mixed-bag of reviews here, my own review may be of value to a specific kind of traveller, as I was specifically looking for (and happy to find) what is becoming difficult to find anymore, a Boatel.

As someone mentioned, front door opens to the parking lot, back door to the creek that leads directly to Tavernier Creek, which itself leads to either the gateway to the Everglades or the Atlantic Ocean and the network of reefs just a short distance offshore. That being said, you might see that Creekside offers a different value to a drive-by guest than it would someone tieing up a boat for a number of days, as we did.

I give kudos to the owners of Creekside, as keeping an older motel-type house of accommodation up to date with relatively modern amenities is a difficult and costly task, but a worthy one. The rooms themselves (if similar to what we stayed in) should suffice any traveler for a comfortable night's stay; clean, spacious and well appointed. Although we had to ask for a pot and pan a number of times, the kitchenette provided enough for us to cook some fresh catch and make breakfast in the morning *Note to management; making pot-toast is OK, but drop $20 and put a cheap toaster in the room.

The service and staff were quite pleasant, much more than the management, but I understand they have different jobs to perform. I found the staff to be quite attentive to our requests. The rates were acceptable, although pre-season (mid-November) I would have expected a little more of a gimmie, such as a day free, even with the claim that the $40-day docking fee was waived (was there also a waiver of $40-day parking was unaware of?).

All that aside, as a fan of the roadside motel I am pleased to see Creekside live to see many more days, and I will find myself staying there in the future. With a boat rental, marina and bait shop just across the street (and around the bend by boat), this is a perfect set-up for the fisherman or diver looking for a few days or week enjoying what the Florida Keys are all about; the water.

By the way, for boat rental call Vic at 305-896-2219.

Room Tip: #5, waterside ground floor kitchenette.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KeylimeSteve
Dear Steve, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We value all our customers opinions and we are happy to know that you had a great time. As you said, the Florida Keys is all about the water and we are on a prime spot with the canal at arm's length from the rooms, deep water access and 1,000 ft. of prime boat dockage. And we agree, Vic is the man to call if you want to rent a boat, jet ski, kayak or paddle board. We would love to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. Hope to see you soon!!
Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Relaxed , large rooms. Good hospitality, kitchenette. Two doors - one goes out to the covered deck overlooking the canal which is lit from the water at night. Fellow travelers sat out and chatted, there is a wonderful restaurant next door, and espresso shop, and a paddle business there. Wish I could have stayed longer, congrats to the innkeeper, your care and pride show!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Betsey B
Dear Betsey, Thank You for taking the time to write a review about our property. We care about service and hospitality and want to share our passion for our destination with all our guests. Really happy to know you enjoyed the new shops, cafés, paddle board business and beach areas. We would love to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future. Warm Regards!!
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We were driving to Key West and decided to stop in Key Largo for one night stay. We had not booked a hotel prior and found this one on the web. We rented a room at the Creekside Inn on the same day as we were going to stay.The price was fair for the Rooms. The location on the water was pretty along with access front and back. Back opened to deck in which you can fish or dick a boat. Beautiful setting to relax in, as well as nice pool to swim.

But due to my mistake, an emergency came up that evening in which I locked myself out of my room with nothing to work with in getting my room opened, I was able to flag a deputy down to assist me.(11:30 pm) As soon as he found out my problem, he was worried. As I am handicapped, I had nothing to use but the emergency number left on the Window by the Inn. (from 8pm on). The deputy told me that they will not respond to any calls.(as this has happened before) I was very upset about this as everything was in my room especially my meds. I had absolutely nothing else with me, as thanks to the Deputies of Islamorada I wouldn't have been able to get to my meds until the next day. It would have made me very ill.I feel that was total disregard on behalf of the inn. That should have never happened as it was an accident that I locked myself out.
the next morning they didn't even check on me but they sent the maid to see if I'd gotten access to my room .So yes I'm very upset about this and I do not feel that they are responsible to be in the rental business, if you're not going to respond to the needs of their customers.

Otherwise I felt this hotel was decent.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Muzziefl
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do deeply apologize for your inconvenience while staying with us, it should have never happened. We take our customers reviews very seriously and have addressed your concerns on after hours emergencies and front desk customer service. We are constantly working on offering higher standards of hospitality and service and would love to have the opportunity of having you as our guest in the future. Wishing you the best!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavernier
Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo
#2 of 20 in Key Largo
Hampton Inn Key Largo
Hampton Inn Key Largo
#5 of 20 in Key Largo

Been to Creekside Inn Islamorada? Share your experiences!