“Love,Hate relationship”
Review of Seahorse Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Seahorse Cottages
tampa
Reviewed 29 May 2006

My husband and I vactioned at the Seahorse Cottages for a weekend in May,with another couple. We rented cottage #2, which is advertised as a two bedroom. The cottages were ok. Not really clean, not really nice, but 25 feet from the beach, with nice staff and quiet nice people, that were nice to our dog and 2 cats. However the 2 bedroom is not really a two bedroom. There are two of the smallest beds known to man lined vertically aganist the wall. There is no room to walk and you must be turned sideways to walk. The master bedroom wasnt very big either. The shower was tiny. The place had a layer of grime on the carpet, with lots of duct tape on the floor and many other places, including the remote. Despite all this we still had a good time, the location is PRIME and close to everything, including John's Pass. People are nice and accept pets. If you vacation here bring lots of blankets to sit on and such ,forget about the grim and appreciate that you are on the beach, for a reasonable price, having a good time. You will be out doing stuff most of the time anyway. So dont worry and take a good shower when you get home.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 28 June 2006

We do apologize for any problems these folks had with our cottages. We had a professional come in and clean the carpets.

We do try to maintain these cottages up to our guests' standards, but sometimes a problem arises and we do work on getting all problems fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

But we do ask all guests to PLEASE tell us as soon as you experience them and we will do all we can to make it better as quick as possible.

Since these guest's departure, we feel we have corrected this situation and hope all future guests at Seahorse enjoy their visit.

Tampa, FLorida
Reviewed 1 November 2005

I stayed at the Sea Horse as a single woman out on my own for the first time in many years. And I didn't want anything big or fancy or even expensive. I found that at Sea Horse and was pleased with my stay despite a few problems.

First of all, I was booked in their upstairs apartment and even though days before on the phone I was told it was the inexpensive cabins, it was not a cabin at all. It was an efficiancy apartment that was a not happy with.

However, the managers, Mike and Tracy, were helpful enough to have relocated me to a cabin on the beach the very next day. They were helpful and friendly about it and that was greatly appreciated.

Everything was clean in my cabin and pleasant except the air conditioner didn't cool the entire place down which made it hot in the bedroom. Again, the managers dealt with my complaint at 12:30 in the morning despite their 8am to 8pm hours by giving me a floor fan from their own apartment.

And when my car wouldn't start at 6am they were asleep but not terribly bothered with assisting me. That as well greatly appreciated.

The place in itself is beginning to get runned down and somewhat old, but the people who ran the place made up for it in a big way and it's only because of them that my stay was enjoyable.

Beware of the claustrophobic shower and bathroom and the hot bedroom at night. Also don't expect the place to be a hotbed of activity. But the middle-aged Italian couple who run Sea Horse will try to accomodate you and your stay.

And I loved the old wooded feel with somewhat older furniture that gave the place its charm.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2005

My family spent a week at the Sea Horse Cottages..we felt that the location on the beach was fantastic but as for the cottages they are way out dated and not well maintained. The accomindation were very small, not at all what we were expecting from the pictures on their website... being the largest cottage it was a two bedroom...the second bedroom was the size of a hallway with 2 twin beds head to head.
There was dust and grim on the blinds and the clean linens smelled of cigarette smoke. The steel trimming between the tile floor and the carpeting was harzzardous for little feet....the large lounge in the sitting room had a broken arm leaving the steel frame exposed. The front door of the cottage wasn't accessible because it was stuck.
The garbage bins in front of the cottages were rarely emptied which brought lots of flies to the picnic areas.
The grills on the beach worked but were very grimy and there was no BBQ brush to clean them. The play area for the children...there were broken toys that needed to be thrown out and replaced and the area of the monkey bars were over grown with weeds. At the time of our stay the red tide was at a high peek so we had to spend sometime in the cottage due to the fact it was unbearible to be on the beach. There was construction going on next door to the cottages that we were not made aware of at the time of our booking, even the women that we rented it from had retired by the time we arrived.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
woodstock, il
Reviewed 5 August 2005

After reading the most recent review of this hotel, I had to write a similar review. I rented one of these cottages in May of 2000 and had a wonderful time. At that time, the Sea Horse Cottages were all of the units together. I went on this trip with my 2 year old and "grandpa" so we could have a family vacation.

The location was unbelieveable and the sunsets were to die for. The cottages facing the sunset are stellar. at that time, they had a swing set and "kiddie" pools plus grills and a communal picnic area. We loved having our own kitchen to cook in and to be able to watch the sunset from either inside the air conditioned cottage or out on the small deck.

However, I have to say, the cockroaches (or whatever they may be called in Florida) freaked me out. They were huge and usually in the bathroom every morning as well as around the sleeping areas at night. Sounds like this has not changed. Perhaps just a few cottages have this issue??? I have been hesitant to go back, due to this only. I love this place and if they would only get rid of those bugs (the out-dated appliances and decor does not bother me) I would immediately get my family together and rent several of these for a week.

• Stayed: May 2000
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 March 2005

The Seahorse Cottages Too is a three unit complex that used to be part of the larger Seahorse Cottages next door. The owners kept these three when they sold off the rest of the cottages.

First the good news--the location is fantastic. We spent a week in cottage #9 and a week in cottage #11. The location is fantastic--#11 has large sliding glass doors and a covered porch that open to the beach, with beautiful views from the living room and one bedroom. #9 is on the street side with no view, but still only a 25 foot walk to the huge beach. There are lots of great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, and a grocery store and pharmacy right across the street.

However, both units are in need of some updating. Their website advertises "Old Florida Charm". I agree with the "old", not so much with the "charm". The small kitchens are serviceable--everything works OK but things are a little grimy, with exposed wiring, curling tiles, peeling paint, etc. The bathrooms, also small, are a bit scummy, with dirty shower curtains and stalls and rusting pipes, but everything works there too. Lots of little things added up to a minor annoyance--TV remotes that didn't work, windows that don't open, blinds that didn't close properly, filthy chairs on the porches, no screens on the sliders, advertised gas grills that don't really work, advertised VCR that caused problem with cable TV reception, tempermental lamps and overhead lights, etc. #9 is literally on the street, with traffic moving about five feet outside your bedroom window. Worst of all were the cockroaches our last night in #9, though I might give them a pass on that since there was evidence of spraying before the heavy rainfall we had gotten that day, and it was the only day we had that problem.

Oh, and during our visit in March 2005, the construction crews next door and across the street started at 6:45 AM. Might have been nice to have been told this when we rented.

In all, I wouldn't recommend against renting these units, though I would definitely try for #10 or #11 instead of #9. They do provide some nice touches, like lounge chairs and beach toys for the kids, and the morning walks on the beach and sunsets from the back porch are definitely special. Just plan on spending your time outdoors and don't expect to much from the accomodations.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank greencjtrip
bennington, ks
Reviewed 11 October 2003

We spent a week at the cottages. The location was perfect and we could sit out on our deck and look out over the ocean. They provide you with a beautiful sunset everynight. We especially loved the barbeque grill for those evenings we wanted to cook. The cottages are fully equipped to set up house. And Tom and Roseanne, the owners, were there to help in anyway they could. A great bargain right on the beach.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2003

I found and choose to stay in THE SEAHORSE COTTAGES on Treasure Island while searching for a "Sring Break" holiday for my son and myself. What a sweet deal the SEAHORSE COTTAGES turned out to be. We spent 5 nights in cottage #9. I would have choosen one of the cottages closer to the gulf and away from the street, but #9 was all that was left when I made the reservation. It was clean and worked out well for us. Cottages that FACE the gulf are JUST BEAUIFUL. You step out of your little cottage and you are ON the sand. Patsey and her husband are the managers and they are helpful and friendly. The outside grills is so helpful. My son grilled up his own lunches and dinners. There is a small grocery store directly across the street where you can get meats and fruits and salad mixings. The beach is clean and safe and lots of people walk up and down the beach all day, so there is always someone to talk with.
SEAHORSE COTTAGES provide beach chairs and those blue beach covers to protect you from the sun. They will provide you with all the additional towel you might need during your stay, but do not offer "daily" maid service. They also have sand toys and swings. There are activities along the "strip" but once you retreat to your cottage, it is calm and quiet. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. It is not a fancy resort, but it is reasonably priced and a clean, safe to stay. We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member