“Relaxing vacation at Whispers”

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had a great time with family. very nice location and neat rooms and property. Hosts were friendly and understanding. Would recommend to my friends for their next Florida visit. Thanks Jeff and Sharda..

Room Tip: Talk to Jeff as we find him very cooperative.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin101279

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We are locals here living in St Petersburg Fl., not near the beach.
My husband & I needed a getaway ..and found the perfect place.
An ecclectic cottage with charm, on the intra-coastal waterway on Treasure Island.
The owner was more than accomadating. The area had everything you needed within walking distance.
From fishing off the dock, to sitting by the pool playing scrabble and my favorite part ...
sitting outside in the garden at dusk, the entire week was magical. Both my sons & their families also visited , a relaxing time was had by all!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Darlene B
Reviewed 14 April 2014

To call this place a RESORT is a joke. To call the unit a CONDO is laughable. Mature trees translate into neglected property. The patio is a trap. Inside, the bathroom is so small, one has to almost turn sideways to get in. Beds were soggy and unfit to sleep in, by my standards. The double bed had TWO straggy bed skirts, and smelled of dampness. The twin beds, supposed to sleep two adults, would be best suited to ten-year olds.
We did not stay in this "condo" because we couldn't - the whole place gave me the creeps - from the time we saw the rundown entrance, to the door with its rusted off edge, to the dirty/discolored cloths and oven mitts under the sink, and then the dinginess of the whole interior.
My advice: stay away from WHISPERS RESORT !
we had paid upfront, with VISA because the owner would not accept American Express!!! No refunds then of course - so Jeff Solomon ended up with a full purse and we ended up with frustration and having to pay more than double for a vacation!
Never rent from this owner !

9  Thank Dorothy C
Reviewed 8 April 2014

A "boutique" condo in the heart of Treasure Island. Restaurants, bars, groceries, fishing and the beach within walking distance. Great dock on the intracoastal waterway, uniquely decorated units with lots of fake flowers (that were very dusty) new heating/AC units and large pool in back. Pool was not clean when we arrived and never warm enough to swim in; Walkwaysand patios uneven and collected water when it rained and when sprinklers came on. Bedding very old and mattress pad stained with urine (we washed then owner washed.) Front door would not latch, told could not be fixed. Refrigerator not clean, stainless steel sink had to be scrubbed 3x to get useable, sliverware container dirty, container with implements by stove also dirty. There was thick dust on the ceiling fans (cleaned by owner when we complained.) Floors were dirty, 2 other tenants went out and purchased Swiffers to clean their floors. Patio in back dirty and had ants. This could be a dream property because of it's location but due to the poor maintenance and lack of cleanliness we would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lee E
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Where do I even begin? I first want to first say we inquired on VRBO for Bermuda Bay and somehow ended up at Whispers Resort. I'm confused how we ended up in that dump considering Whispers Resort isn't even searchable on VRBO (which is the only site we inquire on). When we walked in it smelled like a dirty dog in our place. I understand it is a pet friendly resort however one of your rules on the wall is pets must be leashed but your two stinky dogs never once had a leash on and were roaming around. One of us went to use the restroom and the toilet got backed up. Someone came and plunged it and took the plunger with them. We went to go to bed that night and pulled out the sofa bed I was sleeping on and the whole side of the bed was broke and had missing springs. The next day the toilet overflowed 3-4 inches of water on the floor. We then got accused of flushing personal products down the toilet since we were 4 females. Jeffery came and used cleaner to clean it up and clear the toilet and oddly enough there weren't any personal products or clogs. He asked why we didn't plunge it but ironically enough there wasn't a plunger to use. We told him about our couch and he put some springs on it to fix it. The next night we come in and there's a "new" couch for some reason. The old one was perfectly fine and this new one had a huge metal bar sticking out. So I had to put the mattress on the floor to be able to sleep without a metal bar poking me. The sheets smelled like they've never been cleaned so one day I spent a day at the laundry mat washing blankets so I wasn't sleeping with dirty linens. I walked outside a few days later and noticed colonies of ants climbing on the wall and door so I went and asked Jeffery for some ant spray to keep them contained and he said "yeah, but they're everywhere" in a rude tone. Yes I know ants are outside Jeffery, however when's there are hundreds that's when you spray the area to contain the infestation. Now I'm extremely anxious to see what you two have to say to this review after seeing all of your other rude responses. We might be 4 college students but we clearly are responsible to take action and call you ourselves when we needed something and didn't enjoy living in filth the whole week. Please learn how to run a business and it's clear you put more effort into your other resorts than Whispers. I will forever give you bad reviews especially because of the amount of disrespect we received because we are young adults.

5  Thank Emily D
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I wish I would have read the reviews on here before booking this place. We were very displeased with our recent March 2014 trip here. Upon entering the room, we smelled dog. The linens smelled as well. We had to take a comforter to the local laundromat. The utilities are very outdated-- we had constant problems with our toilet, including an overflow. After the initial call to the owners (who aren't easy to track down as they aren't on the property all the time) and fixing of the toilet hours later, 3 voicemails in two days to the owner remained unanswered. Extremely hard to get ahold of. They never checked in again to make sure our toilet was working properly (it wasn't).

I've been told there is a leash rule with the dogs, yet the owners' dogs were allowed to roam free throughout the resort, sometimes trying to enter through our 'condo' door as we were going through it. While the dogs are not mean, this is supposed to be a pet-friendly resort; and I would not feel comfortable bringing my dog here where these giant dogs are not restrained in any way.

I initially saw the advertisement for this resort on vrbo.com. It was very misleading as were pictures on the actual website. The owner knew our group had 4 adults and gave us a room accordingly. It had 2 full beds and one pull out. The pull out was broken; and upon speaking with Jeffrey about it, he said it was only meant for 2 children or one adult. We were very clear upon booking this resort as to the number of people that would be staying. After fixing it and for some reason unknown, we were gone for the day and came back to a completely different couch and pull-out which was in worse shape than the initial one. Two people in my group ended up sleeping on the pull-out mattress on the floor.

One good thing: the pool and dock over-looking the bay were nice. However, this place is not on the Gulf and has no beach. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach.

Overall, this place isn't worth the amount of money they charge; and the owners are very unpleasant to deal with. Not very good customer service here.

3  Thank Travel200991
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband, daughter, 2 small dogs and I stayed at Whispers for a week in 2013...we loved the location, accomodations, bay-side pool, pet friendly attitude and sitting on the dock on the bay fishing! We stayed in the 2 bedroom but soon found out that the one bedroom would have been sufficient! We slept well. Love, loved the location: being on the Bay: getting to enjoy the dolphins in Dolphin Bay (right next to our dock) was a real treat! Dolphins swam up and thru the docks...very cool experience! A friend came to visit from Miami and enjoyed the short stroll to the beach, the restaurants and of course all the shopping out our front door!
My brother in law and wife also paid a visit and the guys loved walking across the street to the bait shop and fishing off our dock! It was quiet and peaceful; our dogs were at home and content.
We did run into a bit of heavy rain...downright out pour for a couple of days...but that did not deter our fun. We ended up dancing in the rain! At 50 years old...who cares?! I am enjoying life while I can!
A huge convenience (that we really appreciated) was the use of a washer and dryer across the pathway from our room! Plus books, magazines, games and fresh linens we could use (at any time 24/7).
I am sorry to read that a couple of others did not experience the joy that we did. I would give it another try. I think Jeffrey, Shandra; the housekeeping and grounds keeping was up to par.
...it was a great time for us.
We all had a good time and plan on staying at Whispers again...next time in a one bedroom!
The Weaver Family Georgia USA

Room Tip: I would stay in King size 1bedroom w couch next time...plenty of room for 4 people to sleep. I think...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LA W
whersuch, Owner at Whispers Resort at Treasure Island, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hi Folks,

Sharda and I are delighted that you had such a wonderful time.

And what spirit! Dancing in the rain.

No wonder the dolphins were attracted to you and came right up to you on the dock. Dolphins are very intuitive.

We are looking forward to seeing you again and thanks so much for staying with us.

Best wishes