“Hated it”

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
Florida
“Hated it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2006

The worst. Falling apart. Messy pool. Peeling wallpaper. Dirty upholstery. Teeny rooms. No air conditioning except in bedroom pouring air over the top of the one piece of furniture big enough to put any items on (bathroom, for instance, had no room for anything).
Sandpaper sheets. Chipped dishes. Very few glasses (juice size only and mugs). No paper towels or napkins or tissues though extensive instructions on how to clean up. A car wash instead of the promised park across the street. We were so uncomfortable we skipped showering until we got home (fortunately, only two days). Oh, and this was billed as "a superior small lodging." The cost was much higher than we need to have paid, something we learned once we were there.
Their website appears to be a total fabrication or based on out-of-date information. These are not, for starters, "well maintainted" as noted in the web site literature.
No one retuned calls during our entire stay although we called to report that we would pay just to leave.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank katesjourneys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2006

Absolutely the worst place we have ever been to. Musty, Moldy (Coffee Maker, Shower Curtin), no dishwasher, no dish soap (But two cans of bug spray). We were not impressed with their Certificate of Exception from Sanitation Requirements posted inside their dish cabinet. The dishes were not clean, the silverware was dirty. I wanted to barf. We bought paper plates and plastic silverware for the few nights we had to stay. We booked and paid for a week (Saturday to Saturday) but the first night, my wife had a run in with a roach. Florida roaches are like New York City roaches on steroids. The next day was Easter Sunday and we could not find another place until Monday. On Monday we booked another resort in Orlando for the balance of our stay and left the next morning. We emailed Jeff about our feelings and his response was "I am sorry you feel that way." Once they have your money, they don't really care. The pool is not appealing (to be kind) and their pier is in a sad state of disrepair. It was rotted and dangerously bowed at the end. Jeff said that it was for kyacks. We took plenty of photos. I would not recommend this place to anyone. They do allow dogs for an extra charge but frankly, I think too much of my dogs to ever bring them here.
Charlie and Marsha Schutze
April, 2006

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

Toronto, ON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2006

I'm used to staying in 5* places, so for me this is quite a drop in calibre. Travelling with dogs severely limits choice however, so I am thankful to the resort owners who let me stay there with my pooches. First impressions I had were quaint, compact, quiet and modest. Place was a little musty but improved a bit with airing out. Well equipped, but with some of the cheaper stuff available. Bed was hard, crunchy and creaked a lot. Window A/C was too noisy to run for any length of time. I was near to the road, and every morning around 7, I was awoken by loud banging noises, people talking, and my own personal cheeky bird. The pool had a greenish appearance so I didn't feel like swimming. But owners seemed very nice, other guests were quiet and friendly, and also drugstore, liquor and grocery were within walking distance. Everything was clean and in good working condition. I won't stay there again, but I would recommend it to others looking for modest accommodations.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank walkabout101
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2006

I stayed at the resort for 2 nights with my two dogs. The resort itself is OK.Not what they advertise, it is not dog friendly. The nearest park and place to walk them is over a block away. The contract states the deposit will be returned 2-3 weeks after departing. Its been over two months and I am still waiting. I was very patient when they told me they had to go overseas. It wasnt until I got the Better Business Bureau involved that they "claim" to have sent my deposit back. Its now been another 3 weeks since they supposedly sent it back. I live 4 hours away. The owner has been very nasty and complicated to deal with. Hes now falsely accusing me of things so he will look better. I have now had to get consumer affairs involved and disputing the charge with my credit card company. I would not recommend this place to anyone. There are nicer hotels to stay at on Treasure Island and I am sure it would be less of a hassle.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2005

We discovered the reviews of Whispers on this site 3 days before we were due to go there, so the journey out was not without some trepidation. We had some hope as we stayed the night before flying out at the Russ Hall Hotel at Gatwick which had even worse reviews and that was OK. So we clung to that thought.
We arrived in the dark, but found it very easily and I must say from the road, it doesnt look terribly promising, but you know what they say about a book and its cover. You walk through the gate and its another world, a bit like through the wardrobe to Narnia. Yea, OK I might be waxing a bit lyrical but its not that far from the truth. I saw one review describing it as a jungle which I suppose it is in a way, but think of it as a nice jungle interlaced with subtle fairy lights and little statues and stuff, it is delightful, and we weren't attacked by lions once, and pythons didnt take the wife away in the night, despite locking her out most nights.
The swimming pool and dock were excellent, we fished off the dock most evenings and as soon as you got the rods out herons and cormorants arrived hoping for a fish, and we caught loads, and some fish as well.
The accomodation came in for some stick which I think was unfounded. OK it's not The Dorchester, but it is more than adequate, no, in fact it's better than that, there's nothing wrong with it at all. And with free 24/7 Golf channel, what more can you ask. We had an excellent, relaxing holiday. With help if you needed it and left to your own devices if you didn't.
We WILL be going back. And yes, I agree, this review should warrant a reduction!!!
But seriously Whispers is EXCELLENT!

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2005

Ok I must admit that after reviewing the reports on Tripadvisor my heart sank.

I had already made my flight reservations and was booked in at Whispers when I read the reviews on Tripadvisor.

To cut a long story short, I was ready to cancel but I thought better of it and I called the owners of Whispers, Jeffrey and Sharda.

They were very forthcoming about it and they told me that there were several negative comments posted by some very difficult guests, and there were equally comments posted by very satisfied guests.
Most of the negatives were from overseas visitors who had expectations of America as chrome and glass and high rise modern.
Now I will say this, if you expect a cookie cutter vacation, like a Sheraton Hotel or a Hyatt or Holiday Inn then this is not for you.

Whispers is absolutely the most charming of places, a pure delight, as only a small mom and pop operation can be when the owners have poured their heart and soul into it.

You can be as personal or as private as you wish to be. Jeff and Sharda like to mingle with their guests and chat with them, as we did. However if you want to be private and disappear into your own world you can do that to.
Personally, Stan and I, loved the people we met there and we enjoyed sitting at the pool chatting and having a drinks with them.

The property is very small with only seven or eight condominiums and I had a chance to see most of them at one point or another.

They are absolutely darling. Every one is fresh, clean and decorated in a style from a different country or part of the world. We stayed in the Southwestern one that has very warm colors and a USA desert Southwest feel. Our neighbours had the Florida one and it was completely different, having pastels and Florida decor.
Across from us, there was a British couple in the Oriental and it looked very rich with Eastern fabrics and ornaments.

Personally I loved the gardens. They are very lush so you really feel like you are in the tropics! Again I contrast this with an institutional hotel that has a token palm tree in the driveway!
I was amazed at the butterflies that were attracted to the garden!
Some of the reviews said that they are overgrown, but I saw Jeff working in the garden, trimming and so on and it is truly a labor of love. It takes a lot of work to make it look natural, if you know what I mean.

I could go on and on because my expectations were low before we arrived but we feel so blessed to have found this little gem of a resort. We will definitely recommend it to our friends and we hope to be back.

I truly feel for Jeff and Sharda, they DO NOT deserve the harsh comments posted on this website. I do not know what expectations these people had other than they must have wanted Las Vegas style glitz rather than an authentic Florida experience.

Speaking of which, I hope that Jeff and Sharda manage to hang on to Whispers because all the small hotels up and down the coast are getting bought up and turned into huge condominiums.

I think that the Whispers advert says that Whispers is "An Oasis in Paradise"

It certainly is.

So I hope that I have reassured the readers of this website and we wish Jeff and Sharda continued success.

Bernice P.
Lincs UK

Stayed November 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2005

We have to say that Whispers has become part of our hearts.

We stayed there for two months and did not want to leave. So we extended our stay for a week. That was all we could do beacuse they were full after that so we had to head home to the North (Baltimore area).

Whispers is truly a place of tranquility.
There are wonderful gardens and fabulous secluded nooks and crannies to sit and be at peace.

We needed to keep in touch with our business, so the owners allowed us to install high speed Internet service in our room for our laptop.

Ray, found himself wanting to potter around in the garden, which the owners, Jeff and Sharda, were agreeable.
We brought our little Dachshund, Gretchen and she got friendly with Leela, Jeff and Sharda's Labrador. The property is fenced in, so no problems with safety or Gretchen getting lost.

In the event, Jeff and Sharda, "adopted" Gretchen and she could be found poking around in their house! Ever inquisitive, she is!

One thing led to another and we formed a really close bond with Jeff and Sharda, and by the end of our stay, we felt more like family than strangers.

They really opened their hearts to us. Their son Nathaniel, is 12 years old and he would visit us in our condo from time to time whenever he saw us sitting out on the patio.

All in all we cannot wait to return. This is a very lucky find for us and we cannot say enough good things about Whispers and our hosts.

Patti and Ray