“Do Not Stay Here!!!”

Whispers Resort at Treasure Island
Europe
“Do Not Stay Here!!!”
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We stayed here over for over 2 weeks Dec/Jan 2006/2007 and I can safely state that this was the WORST accommodation I have ever come across. It is totally misrepresented on the website and much smaller too.
It was so bad that it's difficult to know where to start - everything needs to be updated or overhauled. The pool is not in a usable condition, ALL the furniture needs to be replaced (don't even think about getting a night's sleep or sitting on the couch for more than 10 minutes). The 'kitchen' is a joke - aluminium foil under all the hotplate rings, we had terrible problems with ants the first few days after we arrived & the airconditioning is totally inadequate. The bathroom: mouldy and the toilet kept breaking!! We moved to a hotel in Tampa for the last 5 nights as we just could not stick it out. Don't ruin your holiday by staying here

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank crosscounty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ohio
Reviewed 12 January 2007

The web site states; "fabulous patio with heated pool" NOT!
The pool needs some definite cosmetic work to invite you in and the solar heating does not work because roof is covered by rubber tree. The statement, "Beach front location and located on some of the Finest Beaches in the USA"; you are not on a beach. "Immaculately landscaped courtyard;" everything is so over grown which is really a shame. Thank goodness we did not need to use the air conditioner/heater, the noise alone would keep you awake. We had no BBQ on our patio and the full size stove is really an apartment size. The local supermaket is closed but there are afew close walk to stores. The unit was clean but as another vacationer stated, the door locks have alot to be desired.

• Liked — Everything was on the ground floor
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Borsch

Travellers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

U.S.A
Reviewed 31 December 2006

(The following is just my opinion, remember it’s all opinion, until it happens to you.)
Wow, what can I say. This place is Terrible! We booked three units for Christmas week in December of 2006. We were all extremely disappointed. My family, my brother’s family, my mother, two more brothers and one or two other families moved to different resorts. One of the other guests left and stayed at ThunderBird’s down the street and called their credit card company to dispute the charges (don’t pay with a check, like I did). I (and other non-related guests) had several conversations with Jeffery. I asked for full refunds for my entire party and was denied. He came to Whispers and offered to let one of the other families stay in a different unit, unfortunately he did not stop to talk to anyone in my group. To resolve our complaints, Jeffery did kindly give us two (not three) units in Bermuda Bay. Altho not fantastic, these units were much nicer. The pool and spa at Bermuda Bay are perfect and the bay view is very nice.
When we first arrived at Whispers we were surprised to see a car-wash directly across the street and a vacant lot next door. There seems to be a lot of construction in this area right now. The pathway to our separate rooms had some beautiful plantings but was very overgrown. When we opened the door to our unit we were surprised to find the rooms rather small and the furniture somewhat worn but upon first glance they did appear neat and clean. The other two units also appeared clean and neat at first glance. We were greatly disappointed as we walked to the pool/pier. The pathway to the pool is a cracked, uneven, dirty sidewalk that takes you past the supply closet and mechanical systems for the pool. As soon as we saw the pool we knew we had made a huge mistake. The small pool is in serious need of a new paint job and some maintenance. I called Jeffery and he said he cleaned it that morning. I have a pool and I would not want my children to swim in the pool at Whispers. I spent the next one and a half hours hosing the dirt off the pool deck in an attempt to make the best out of the situation. I would not recommend sitting on the metal furniture around the pool, most if it is so rusty that the bottom two inches of each chair leg is corroded or missing. Jeffery told me to sit on the plastic and cement furniture when I called him to complain. The pier would benefit from some some maintenance as well, there is no beach. When the other members of my party arrived they began to unpack. As they inspected their rooms more closely they all began to find problems. Some of the beds, in spite of having feather covers, are terribly worn out. Through tears in the plastic mattress coverings we found holes, tears, rips and stains on some of the mattresses. Jeffery offered to replace the worn mattresses, (that’s nice, but who wants to wait a day or two for that?) The more we looked the more problems we found. The air-conditioning is very inadequate, some of the furniture has passed it’s prime, and some of the rear doors don’t lock well. I also bought $23.00 worth of ant sprays and traps from the Ace Hardware around the corner to treat our room. One of our biggest complaints was some of the electrical wiring seemed unusual. I am NOT an electrician but when wires are running through air ducting, stapled to walls and hanging out of water heaters, I get scared for my family’s safety. When I mentioned these electrical concerns to Jeffery, he mocked my concerns stating that I was being “nit-picky and unreasonable.” O.K. maybe I was going “overboard” with my inspection, but when you find one thing wrong, it leads to more discoveries, the more I looked the less comfortable I became. I took a great deal of pictures. He did say all the plumbing was updated and that his units are inspected all the time. Unfortunately, we had several other issues and really felt that Jeffery had misrepresented Whispers in his internet ad and also his brochure. After several heated discussions, one overnight stay at some distant relatives, and a message left with the Better Business Bureau we decided to accept Jeffery’s offer of two units at Bermuda Bay. I figured we might as well get something out of the deal. We are now waiting to see what will become of our security deposits, I am afraid we will have difficulty obtaining them as well, I’ll update this site when I know. What a nightmare! From now on we will be staying at larger corporate run facilities or obtain first hand recommendations from friends.
I wish I found this site before I stayed there.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — safety and cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — don't be cheap, spend big bucks, talk to people who have been their first, use this site
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank Ed123jk
Waycross
Reviewed 24 August 2006

I booked our vacation before I read any of the reviews previously posted on this website and thought, "Oh my God! What have I set my family up for?". I was actually scared to death that we were going to be totally disgusted because of what I read, but, I have to say that it was a very nice surprise when we arrived. I'm not really sure what other people may have expected, but we were quite pleased with the accomodations. When we first arrived, the pool filter was not working properly, but Jeff advised us that someone would be there the next morning to fix it, and they did. The pool was not as big as I would have liked, but it was fine, nonetheless. The rooms were clean and neat and there were plenty of linens provided for the bed(s) and towels for the pool and beach. The best part is that is a small place and we were not overrun by multitudes of people making loud noises throughout the night and overloading the pool. We could go sit outside at night to enjoy the air and not be bothered by people constantly coming and going. The only complaint that I do have, well, two complaints, is that I wasn't made aware that there was construction going on directly behind my room and the construction workers began their day before 8:00 a.m., everyday. The other complaint is that there was so much dog hair on the furniture that I would not sit, nor allow my family to sit, on the furniture without covering it up with a sheet. I do not usually stay where animals are allowed, because I do not allow animals into my own home, but because it looked so nice on the website, we stayed anyway. I had to go to Wal-Mart and buy a pet hair brush to try and get the hair off, but it was imbedded in the fabric. As I said, it was a minor inconvenience and we just covered it up with sheets. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay there and actually let Jeff and Sharda keep our deposit for next year's booking. It really is quite homey and if you're looking for somewhere to stay that is not "commercial", I would definitely recommend Whispers. No gimmicks or frills, but a really nice place to stay.

• Liked — Location and peacefullness
  • Disliked — Dog hair on the furniture
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank tracy5391
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 19 July 2006

Having read reviews after booking this accommodation, UGH we thought what have we done.

However, the accommodation was acceptable. Clean and plenty of linen. Other customers within this small complex appeared also to like the place, everyone was very friendly and welcoming, considering Whispers is located on a road, we found it to be very quiet.
We was told that the accommodation would not be ready until 4pm, however, we arrived at 2pm and were able to gain entry immediately.
It took only 5mins to walk to the beach and Walgreens.
John's Pass 5min drive, a nice evening out.

Only down side, but this will only be temporary, the land next door to Whispers is being prepared for development.

Treasure Island, I'm sure will be the next Marco Island.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank lulworth
Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2006

The worst. Falling apart. Messy pool. Peeling wallpaper. Dirty upholstery. Teeny rooms. No air conditioning except in bedroom pouring air over the top of the one piece of furniture big enough to put any items on (bathroom, for instance, had no room for anything).
Sandpaper sheets. Chipped dishes. Very few glasses (juice size only and mugs). No paper towels or napkins or tissues though extensive instructions on how to clean up. A car wash instead of the promised park across the street. We were so uncomfortable we skipped showering until we got home (fortunately, only two days). Oh, and this was billed as "a superior small lodging." The cost was much higher than we need to have paid, something we learned once we were there.
Their website appears to be a total fabrication or based on out-of-date information. These are not, for starters, "well maintainted" as noted in the web site literature.
No one retuned calls during our entire stay although we called to report that we would pay just to leave.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank katesjourneys
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 April 2006

Absolutely the worst place we have ever been to. Musty, Moldy (Coffee Maker, Shower Curtin), no dishwasher, no dish soap (But two cans of bug spray). We were not impressed with their Certificate of Exception from Sanitation Requirements posted inside their dish cabinet. The dishes were not clean, the silverware was dirty. I wanted to barf. We bought paper plates and plastic silverware for the few nights we had to stay. We booked and paid for a week (Saturday to Saturday) but the first night, my wife had a run in with a roach. Florida roaches are like New York City roaches on steroids. The next day was Easter Sunday and we could not find another place until Monday. On Monday we booked another resort in Orlando for the balance of our stay and left the next morning. We emailed Jeff about our feelings and his response was "I am sorry you feel that way." Once they have your money, they don't really care. The pool is not appealing (to be kind) and their pier is in a sad state of disrepair. It was rotted and dangerously bowed at the end. Jeff said that it was for kyacks. We took plenty of photos. I would not recommend this place to anyone. They do allow dogs for an extra charge but frankly, I think too much of my dogs to ever bring them here.
Charlie and Marsha Schutze

Beach House Cabanas
Beach House Cabanas
#9 of 48 in Treasure Island
Residence Inn St. Petersburg Treasure Island
Residence Inn St. Petersburg Tre...
#5 of 48 in Treasure Island
#8 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Surf Beach Resort
Surf Beach Resort
#2 of 48 in Treasure Island

Been to Whispers Resort at Treasure Island? Share your experiences!