“Awesome just Awesome”

The Sands of Treasure Island
Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am not sure what the problem with the previous poster JohnTheBaptistNy had but I can assure people it is not that way at all. I was a first time customer and we will be returning next year. We stayed at this hotel I was room 114 and my parents stayed room 110 my stay was from March 11-22 my parents stayed march 11-march 30 and we had a very pleasant experience.

Is the hotel updated? NO but hey you are on the beach, we were pool side and the rooms were clean, bed were comfy. So what the furniture is not from this decade but how much time do you plan on staying in your room. We were safe and comfortable, anything we didn't have and needed they front desk had for us.

As for the greasy haired person working, most probably an exhageration since the entire time I was there the staff were clean and friendly. The manager was always on site early in the monring and late into the evening most days and also there on weekends. She was a very nice lady and also visited with customers around the pool. Everyone gets to know each other and it feels like a family.

All the cleaning staff were very friendly and if you needed something they got it for you. If this place is as horrible as John has stated then explain why most of the people who are there are return customers year after year. Everyone we saw there had been there at least the past 5 years some have been returning every year for the past 10+ years. We have allready booked our hotel for next year.

This year for St Patty's day the hotel oranized a party, hired a musician and did a dinner outside. Cornbeef and cabbage dinner and then it was asked for all the renters to sign up those who wanted to go and it was potluck we were asked to bring an appetizer or dessert or side dish whatever we wanted just to write it down. It was amazing. They had round tables set up for everyone and all the ladies were given green carnations, everyone contributed and it was a great time.

By the way my parents have been visiting this area for years and this was their first year there. They have said it is the warmest cleanest pool on the strip. The pool was amazing, so with the staff. Ihave no complaints.

As for the parking there is limited parking in front but there is a loading zone. If there are no spots available you unload your car take your stuff to the room and then move your car there were no issues. There is an overflow area for parking just two minutewalk up the street which was not a big deal and we preferred to park there most the time anyways. As for ancient keys? the keys are regular metal keys that most of us use on our doors at home. As for not leaving the door open. OMG everyone left their doors open all day and it was perfectly safe.

If you are a stuck up person who only ever frequents 5 star resorts and wants nothing but the best then this isn't the place for you. If you want something that is for an average family is clean and fun then this is the place for you. Its on the beach has a clean warm pool, staff and patrons are super friendly and it is inexpensive. Aboslutely give it 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: Stay pool side
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Barb F

Reviewed 13 January 2012

This place is awesome! I remember staying here in the 70s as a kid. Its still has all the charm
and real retro flair! We stayed for a weekend (my boyfriend and I) in June of 11. The staff was friendly, pool great , rooms clean! It would be a great location for a tiki event. I would recomend one of the efficientices facing the gulf! The have a lot on the otherside of gulf bld, so parking isnt a issue.If your looking for some home depot makeover you wound find it here.
The improvements stay within the integrity of the motel . We will defenitly come back!

Room Tip: if you have kids, or traveling in a group, I recomend the units poolside
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank woober
Reviewed 23 November 2011

this place is the best!! its not for the fancy or high maintenance. it's just a great place to relax and enjoy the beach without worrying about having sand on your feet. everyone is so nice here!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank wendy d
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We went to The Sands of Treasure Island last weekend with our four children for a weekend vacation. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in a one bedroom efficiency near the pool. The room had plenty of space for six people to sleep comfortably. There is a couch that folds out to a bed and a single day bed in the living room area. The bedroom had two double beds. There is a separate kitchen with dining area and a small bathroom. The efficiency was very clean and the the front office staff were very nice as well. We will come back again soon and enjoyed our weekend. The motel is right on the beach!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GAINESVILLE1
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I have been coming here since 1948--one year after it opened. At that time it was the only thing on TI. I returned after a 45 year hiatus and found the same steel furniture and Naughahyde furniture from my youth. It is very friendly and the same group seems to return during summer holidays every year. Best secret--enjoy the breezeway. When I first came here they had giant coconut palms--long gone due to liability issues.

A word of caution--the beach is about 600 feet deep here and I can no longer make my way to the shore. To be close to the beach you must find a place north of the John's Pass Drawbridge.

Joe

Room Tip: Get a room by the breezeway--covered remote parking is a plus.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Once again we visited Treasure Island, FL on vacation and once again we stayed at The Sands. This ear we stayed in the very same room I stayed in as a child so this brought back many wonderful childhood memories. The unique thing about The Sands of Treasure Island is that it's very affordable, located on the beach, and roomy. Granted it's not fancy like many other locations in the area, but what difference does it make when most time is spent outside. It's close to places to eat and lots of shopping is nearby. At the Sands you can easily run into people you saw during previous years and can make new friends every year. In fact, our reservations for 2011 are already made. Best yet, there's no oil to worry about in these parts of the Gulf of Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TomLee519
Reviewed 23 October 2009

If you are looking for an affordable no-frills place to stay directly on the beach, this is the place for you. The layout of the motel reminded me of a 60s movie, and the furniture and decorations were definitely retro chic but we didn't mind it because we didn't spend a lot of time inside. The efficiency we stayed in was pretty small, it consisted of a living room with two daybeds, a bedroom with two queen size beds, a tiny bathroom and a very tiny kitchen, but it was big enough to sleep our family of five (three teenagers). I loved the fact that the Sands was directly on the beach which was the main reason I chose to stay there. It is within walking distance to several restaurants, an ice cream shop and John Pass Village and Boardwalk. The staff was friendly. Parking though can get pretty tricky. There is not a lot of parking in front of the motel but I was told there is an alternative parking. This place is definitely no luxury hotel but not to be overlooked when it comes to location and price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family