“Great place, great value!”
Review of Swashbuckler Motel

Swashbuckler Motel
Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
connecticut
“Great place, great value!”
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My husband and i just got back from a 5 day stay at the Swashbuckler. I have to say it was one our best trips to Florida, the weather was perfect. We had a one bedroom apt on the 2nd floor with lots of windows and hardwood floors and very clean. It was open and very bright yet private from the street. I was pleasantly surprised at the many ammenities provided, beach chairs, beach towels and an umbrella, coffee, popcorn, Salt & pepper and fully equipped kitchen, etc. Even though the property is located across the street from the beach we could see the beach and the water from the top of our stoop. And of course beach access was right across the street. In a world where good customer service is the exception and not the norm, this was definately the exception. Dick and Dennis were fantastic! Dennis even carried my bags to our apt and provided us with a laundry basket for our dirty clothes. They are both very knowledgeable about the area and gave us plenty of good info. The motel is in walking distance to many shops and to Johns Pass. Also, the beach trolley stops in front of the motel. Truly a Treasure Island gem.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank motogp09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We had just wrapped up a 10-day stay at the Thunderbird and arrived at Tampa airport on Thursday to find that our plane was delayed and we wouldn't be able to get back home to Seattle that day. We coaxed the ticket agent into letting us reschedule our return flight for Sunday morning, but when we called the Thunderbird we found that they were booked up, so we took the shuttle back to Treasure Island and just started walking up Gulf Blvd pulling our suitcases behind us until we arrived at the Swashbuckler Motel.

The Swashbuckler looks pretty modest from the outside, and I could tell my girlfriend had her finger resting just above the veto button, but we were tired of walking and tired of looking at "no vacancy" signs or hearing rates that were outrageous, so we pulled our suitcases up the office and tried the door, which was locked. With some trepidation we tried the phone number on the door, and our call was immediately answered by Brian, the manager, who said he'd hurt his back and was upstairs resting but would be right down. After a couple minutes Brian came down, walking slowly but carrying a big, welcoming smile. He said they only had one apartment available at the time for a short-term stay, and he showed us the place. Well, we thought it looked very nice, but when he told us the price, well, it looked amazing!

Brian was extraordinarily friendly and helpful and really went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable -- I can't say enough good things about him. I also can't say enough good things about our studio apartment, which was spacious, attractive and impeccably clean. All the furnishings were tasteful and modern -- they looked just about brand new, actually -- and everything worked perfectly. Now I should mention that I think the room in which we stayed was one of those that is usually rented more long-term, as it doesn't appear to be one of those that are pictured on the Swashbuckler's website.

As far as amenities go, it was pretty no-frills. There is a small, but nice pool (there aren't many rooms at the Swashbuckler, so it doesn't really need a big pool), and the pool is situated such that it's very private (some of the little motels in this area have pools that are right on Gulf Blvd, but the Swashbuckler's was tucked away. There's a nice lawn in the back with picnic benches and lawn chairs, and there's also a little courtyard of sorts in the front that separated our room from the road, which is probably why, while Gulf Blvd is pretty busy, I didn't notice any car noise inside our room.

As for location, it's not in the thick of things as much as some of the places (like hte Thunderbird) that are further south on Treasure Island. There's a Circle K or some convenience store a short block away, and I think there was some sort of ice cream place across the street and a restaurant or two within a quarter mile, and of course John's Pass, with all its stores and dining options, is 1 mile to the north. Yes, the beach is across the street, and you have to cross the street and walk down a little boardwalk to get to it, but it's really no more than a 2-3 minute walk from the door to the sand. Your reward for being on the "wrong side of the road" is the unbeatable price. On that note, though, we tried several other little motels on that side of the road, and the Swashbuckler was by far the cheapest. Not only was it the cheapest, but the accommodations were a lot nicer than most of them, which is why the Swashbuckler Motel may just be the best value on Treasure Island. This is even truer if you're planning a longer stay, as the weekly and monthly rates are just unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thehankster
Galashiels Scotland
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Spent 2 days at the Swashbuckler Motel on our travels around Florida and can only say that it is one of the best motels we have had the pleasure to stay in our many visits to America.We had many good conversation with Brian the owner who gave us good advice on every thing we asked on the area.The accomodation was of a very high standard as was all the facilities.My Wife and I come from Scotland and we have visited most of the States in the 12 years we have been travelling in the USA.We will without doubt come back to the Swashbuckler.John and Isobel Henderson.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Piper59
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 27 May 2008

This Memorial Day weekend (2008) my wife and I decided we wanted to stay at the beach for 2 nights. When we started looking, the majority of the hotels were only offering 3 night minimum stays. I decided to go down the strip from Treasure Island to Indian Shores looking for the best deal I could find. I probably looked at 10 rooms in person and called about 20 more, before I called the Swashbuckler. Not only was the Swashbuckler nearly 2/3 the price as the next best deal, it was by far the best room I had seen. We walked in to see a huge living area / full kitchen, with a dining table and chairs, a big couch and coffee table, and two lounge type chairs in front of a good size, great TV. The bedroom was very nice and also had a TV, and the whole place was, as my wife described it, immaculate. They provide all the amenities you need for eating in, and the management was very gracious and accomodating. I honestly could not have hoped for anything more. We will definitely be staying there again and we would reccomend the Swashbuckler to our friends or anyone else.

• Liked — The room was big and clean. It was great, and I can be a room snob.
  • Disliked — I can't say there was really a down side.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank C_DubTampa_FL
NYC
Reviewed 13 March 2008

In our recent trip to Daytona bike week - we headed west to the Gulf Coast and stayed at Swashbuckler Hotel. We were very impressed by the cleanliness, the hospitable staff. Each unit has been very tastefully decorated. Beach access directly across the street and walking distance to John's Pass shops and dining. If you looking for a nice getaway without all the comotion of the large hotels - I highly recommend the Swashbuckler.
- NYC -

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank KPFlan
Tampa FL
Reviewed 19 February 2008

Searched up and down the beach for a place with vacancy, last try was the swashbuckler. Older appearance from the outside, great on the inside. Room was VERY clean, great price, quiet little place. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great find, will be back!

• Liked — clean rooms
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank a1a001
Phoenix,az
Reviewed 8 May 2007

Well my job stationed me in tampa, but I insisted on the beach.
so we stayed at a real dive in maderia beach. I was driving to treasure Island with the kids to go to the beach and spotted this old 59 caddie. So we stopped to take a peak. The man that ran the swash was out front cleaning his car and we talked for a while. Asked him the prices of his rooms. Told me he had actual apartments. So for a 250.00 rate per week or 800.00 per month. We had a new place to live. That rate was for a 2 bdrm 2bath
living room kitchen and dinning room for 6 people. there are two pool and a laundry room. Its right across the street from the beach.
I recommened if you are on a budget, stop in and say hi to Sammy and Wally.

• Liked — The friendly people in the community and the price
  • Stayed September 2003, travelled on business