“Unkept and terrible service.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swashbuckler Motel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Swashbuckler Motel
Ranked #43 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Unkept and terrible service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

I called earlier this week to reserve a room here for the end of July for my wife's bday, since it was highly rated on tripadvisor.com. The manager on the phone said I should stop by sometime in the next week to see if I like the rooms. I stopped by this morning. There was a sign on the door to call him. I did. He got rude on the phone after I said I'm here to look at a room. Said "You should have called me and set up a time to see it! Someone's renting the rooms right now! I'm not on the property! I could have saved you a trip if you would have called." I said "I did call and you told me to stop by, which I'm doing now." Anyway, the office had stuff all over the place. Towels over the counter, just stuff strewn over the room. The property is a dump and across the street from the beach. Get a room on the beach on a motel instead. The Page Terrace is WAY better location, view of the ocean, swimming pool, right next to Sloppy Joe's, clean, and friendly, and it's ~$79/nite. We're staying there!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank liamrite2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Marion, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband, teen son and I had the pleasure of a recent stay at the Swashbuckler Motel! All of the prevous reviews were right on about the quality and service provided! We stayed from June 11, 2009 to June 18, 2009 and had a great time! Our apartment was very clean and comfortable. It had a queen sized bed and a TV in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room. My son slept on the sofa bed and never complained even once! The kitchen had all I needed to prepare simple meals. I loved that beach towels and chairs were provided for our use! We did use the pool and found it to be clean and refreshing after swimming in the gulf. Dick the owner and Dennis the manager are great guys who are full of good information about the area. They are both ready to help out with whatever you may need for your stay.
We don't visit Florida as much any more, but when we decide to visit Treasure Island again you can find us at the Swashbuckler Motel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank SueAnn7
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

We stayed at the Swashbuckler in 2008 for a week, and again in March 2009. I thought that after a year the place might of looked a little run down with people coming and going, but was pleasantly surprised that it was just as nice the second time around. The owner and manager are both great guys and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The Gulf was beautiful, and we even went parasailing at Johns Pass which is right down the street. If things work out right we'll be back again in 2010.
MCCRAY/INDIANA

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
IndianA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Possibly the sickest place ever. If you go make sure you talk to Richard, he's legit. All the bowls come with handles and the AC works great.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jbudd
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

My husband and i just got back from a 5 day stay at the Swashbuckler. I have to say it was one our best trips to Florida, the weather was perfect. We had a one bedroom apt on the 2nd floor with lots of windows and hardwood floors and very clean. It was open and very bright yet private from the street. I was pleasantly surprised at the many ammenities provided, beach chairs, beach towels and an umbrella, coffee, popcorn, Salt & pepper and fully equipped kitchen, etc. Even though the property is located across the street from the beach we could see the beach and the water from the top of our stoop. And of course beach access was right across the street. In a world where good customer service is the exception and not the norm, this was definately the exception. Dick and Dennis were fantastic! Dennis even carried my bags to our apt and provided us with a laundry basket for our dirty clothes. They are both very knowledgeable about the area and gave us plenty of good info. The motel is in walking distance to many shops and to Johns Pass. Also, the beach trolley stops in front of the motel. Truly a Treasure Island gem.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank motogp09
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

We had just wrapped up a 10-day stay at the Thunderbird and arrived at Tampa airport on Thursday to find that our plane was delayed and we wouldn't be able to get back home to Seattle that day. We coaxed the ticket agent into letting us reschedule our return flight for Sunday morning, but when we called the Thunderbird we found that they were booked up, so we took the shuttle back to Treasure Island and just started walking up Gulf Blvd pulling our suitcases behind us until we arrived at the Swashbuckler Motel.

The Swashbuckler looks pretty modest from the outside, and I could tell my girlfriend had her finger resting just above the veto button, but we were tired of walking and tired of looking at "no vacancy" signs or hearing rates that were outrageous, so we pulled our suitcases up the office and tried the door, which was locked. With some trepidation we tried the phone number on the door, and our call was immediately answered by Brian, the manager, who said he'd hurt his back and was upstairs resting but would be right down. After a couple minutes Brian came down, walking slowly but carrying a big, welcoming smile. He said they only had one apartment available at the time for a short-term stay, and he showed us the place. Well, we thought it looked very nice, but when he told us the price, well, it looked amazing!

Brian was extraordinarily friendly and helpful and really went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable -- I can't say enough good things about him. I also can't say enough good things about our studio apartment, which was spacious, attractive and impeccably clean. All the furnishings were tasteful and modern -- they looked just about brand new, actually -- and everything worked perfectly. Now I should mention that I think the room in which we stayed was one of those that is usually rented more long-term, as it doesn't appear to be one of those that are pictured on the Swashbuckler's website.

As far as amenities go, it was pretty no-frills. There is a small, but nice pool (there aren't many rooms at the Swashbuckler, so it doesn't really need a big pool), and the pool is situated such that it's very private (some of the little motels in this area have pools that are right on Gulf Blvd, but the Swashbuckler's was tucked away. There's a nice lawn in the back with picnic benches and lawn chairs, and there's also a little courtyard of sorts in the front that separated our room from the road, which is probably why, while Gulf Blvd is pretty busy, I didn't notice any car noise inside our room.

As for location, it's not in the thick of things as much as some of the places (like hte Thunderbird) that are further south on Treasure Island. There's a Circle K or some convenience store a short block away, and I think there was some sort of ice cream place across the street and a restaurant or two within a quarter mile, and of course John's Pass, with all its stores and dining options, is 1 mile to the north. Yes, the beach is across the street, and you have to cross the street and walk down a little boardwalk to get to it, but it's really no more than a 2-3 minute walk from the door to the sand. Your reward for being on the "wrong side of the road" is the unbeatable price. On that note, though, we tried several other little motels on that side of the road, and the Swashbuckler was by far the cheapest. Not only was it the cheapest, but the accommodations were a lot nicer than most of them, which is why the Swashbuckler Motel may just be the best value on Treasure Island. This is even truer if you're planning a longer stay, as the weekly and monthly rates are just unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thehankster
Galashiels Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

Spent 2 days at the Swashbuckler Motel on our travels around Florida and can only say that it is one of the best motels we have had the pleasure to stay in our many visits to America.We had many good conversation with Brian the owner who gave us good advice on every thing we asked on the area.The accomodation was of a very high standard as was all the facilities.My Wife and I come from Scotland and we have visited most of the States in the 12 years we have been travelling in the USA.We will without doubt come back to the Swashbuckler.John and Isobel Henderson.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Piper59