“Great family fun!”

The Molloy Gulf Front Motel and Cottages
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed here July/August. Our room was great! Yes a little dated, but otherwise CLEAN and COMFORTABLE! The service here was awesome! We made great friends, other guests and had a fun time! We were married there August 1st, right on the beach! The owners made our wedding very special. We will be going back year after year!

Room Tip: The gulf views are beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Michelle_D_NH_77
There are newer reviews for The Molloy Gulf Front Motel and Cottages

Reviewed 6 December 2012

My family discovered the Molloy Motel in 1972. The current owners purchased it shortly thereafter. Birgit and Ernie are wonderful people. Although the Molloy is definitely dated, it is clean, and I was actually very comforted when I returned in 2010, to find the same artwork and bedspreads that were there in the 70's when I was a child. I now take my children to the Molloy. We own a timeshare in the area and choose to go to the Molloy because of it's retro-charm.

I have also found that IF I spot a maintnance problem or cleaning issue, I can go to the cleaning person, or Ernie, and they take care of it. As for peeling cabinets and linoleum, yes, it's time to fix it...but certainly don't change the overall decor.

Room Tip: The cottages are the best, but hard to get unless you make an early reservation. Poolside rooms get...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank whimzicallie
Reviewed 12 September 2012

First the positive:
The exterior property was very quiet and relaxing. The tall Australian pine trees catch the breezes and provide wonderful shade to relax under. The pool and pool area was small but well maintained. The exterior of the building appears in good shape but will require some paint soon. The property has a small covered picnic area with a gas grill. Some upgraded landscaping around the property would make the place a little more cozy, and replacing all the old concrete around the deck with decking or pavers would be nice. As far as the interior of our room goes, about the only positive thing I can say is that the flat screen TV appeared brand new.

Now the Negative:
We stayed in cottage room #4.
As a retired military member, I've stayed in a lot of hotels and motels in my life, and without a doubt, this was the absolute worst room I've EVER stayed in. Where do I start? The first thing that hit us as we walked into the room for the first time was the smell. This was not a typical "old motel" smell, but this place reeked of urine. We quickly detemined that it was the living room sofa/hide-a-bed. We had to run across the street to the Publix to buy Lysol and spray the whole room down!

In the kitchen area, one of the counter areas was actually a deteriorated 1/2 inch piece of plywood with some linoleum flooring glued to it. The facing on the cupboards was peeling off all around the edges, and the refrigerator was rusted and leaking something brown. The drawers were cock-eyed and difficult to open and close.

The floors throughout were deplorable! The main tile floor looked as if it hadn't been mopped in years and the only clean areas were the high traffic areas. The grout was black with filth. The carpet in the bedroom was coming away from the walls and looked like it had been there since the place was built. All of the light switches has dead skin / dirt embedded in the switches.

The Bathroom walls were very old and deteriorated masonite boards. Around the shower, these walls were so badly deteriorated that they had small holes all around the edges and were peeling away from the wall. We felt like the walls were going to detach and fall on us. The closet doors in the bathroom were also deteriorated and the facing was peeled off exposing the particle board underneath. The water pressure in the shower was pathetic and took forever to rinse shampoo out of our hair and the toilet ran constantly.

The bedroom air conditoner was quiet as long as the compressor wasn't running, but as soon as it kicked in, it would wake us out of a dead sleep. If there was a fire at night we would have never known because we later found out that the smoke detector had no battery.

Unless the property owner does some major upgrades to the room, we will never stay there again and do not recommed it to anyone else! Its a shame, because this property has so much potential. For the $100/night we spent, there are plenty of other much nicer places to stay on Treasure Island.

Room Tip: Dont stay in cottage room 4!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank heztherock
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Booked the Molloy day of finding out I had a Friday/Saturday off. Reasonable price, clean room, right on the beach. Great stay, professional staff even walked us to our room. Older motel but so personable and fun. Will definately stay there again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy E
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is one of the best Places to stay. Very Friendly Staff, Great Value and everything you need in the rooms with full kitchens..... walk right out to the beach and swim in the Gulf or take a dip in the Pool. Very Clean and has that Charm that will have me coming back again
Thanks for a wonderful Time

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela J
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We just got back from our 4th stay in 5 years at the Molloy. If you want a fancy place you won't want to come here. If you want a great value, family vaction than you want to come to the Molloy. Very friendly, rooms have everything you need and the owners and staff make sure you have everything you need. Full kitchens with a grill overlooking the gulf of mexico. We stayed for 13 days and enjoyed every single minute. 1 night as I lit the grill it ran out of gas, when I told someone about the owner had a new tank in 5 minutes. We have already booked again for next year. Fishing docks available across the street that my son I caught many fish.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank KKBirdie
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have visited this motel on 3 occasions and would go back at the drop of a hat. Granted the place would benefit from a coat of paint and rooms updating slightly but I go on holiday for the natural beauty and that is directly on the doorstep.
The pool is immediately right by the rooms, no need to take lifts or walk across the grounds to reach it; immediately beyond the pool is a quiet tree shaded area for sun bathing and just beyond that the wide sandy beach. It is a perfect location for sun worshipers and sunset watchers alike.
The owner and staff are very helpful and easy to talk to; I visited at a similar time of year and have met up with some clientel who have been at the same time as me before and we remembered each other which was great.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family