“Not as expected”

Treasure Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
“Not as expected”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Amazed to find it is on your list cause we had horrible experience not a chair in room closet had no door let alone a hanger it was dingy smell mold ask for another room to no avail checked out next day. All seems ok on pics but seeing it is another story, foam cups is fabulous to have wine need I say more would not recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Hamburg
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked this Hotel via Hotwire. I got my room with an uneven number it was facing the canal. It was very quiet and peaceful. I used my balcony a lot, watched the charter boats coming in and leaving. Very clean, good size rooms, friendly and helpful staff. II only had to cross the Gulf Blvd to get to the endless long beach. They got a promenade for easy strolls without getting sandy feet :-))

Room Tip: choose an uneven number room as it is facing the canal.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Checked in and was given my room key. Wasn't told where to go. Wasn't told what the weird word was written on the key sleeve (later found out it was the wifi password). Wasn't told that there would be complimentary coffee in the morning or where it was located. Wasn't told about the sundeck or how to get there (My room was on the 3rd floor--sundeck is on the 2nd. If I wasn't wandering around, I wouldn't have known how to access it from the inside). Wasn't told about the laundry services. Wasn't told anything about the business center. And when we walked away, the "operations manager" Carolyn said, "Well, 9 more to go (sigh)." She was not friendly nor welcoming. And for the amount of money I paid for the room (last minute Memorial Day weekend booking), she should have been overly welcoming. Room was clean. We had a bay view room, #323. Walls and door is thin. You can hear everything next door, down the hall, etc. Beds were comfy. Front stairwell smelled like pine sol flavored throw up (nice try cleaning that up-you get an "A" for effort). At a premium rate, no less, this was the last hotel on the strip that had vacancy for the weekend (I wonder why). I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice. I would have given it a better rating if the customer service matched the price I paid. And yes, all aforementioned amenities are listed on their website. However, after comparing between a bunch of inland hotels and the one seaside hotel available, a little refresher course upon arrival would have been appreciated.

Room Tip: Be careful when stepping down out of the tub. The tub floor is higher than the bathroom floor. The...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My family and I have been staying at this hotel for a few years now. We stay somewhere between 5-6 times a year and have really grown to love it until my recent trip. My wife had called a few days before to stay and got quoted around $150 for Saturday night and was not sure if my wife was up to it since she just had surgery a week before. Well Saturday afternoon come my wife felt pretty good and I asked my children what they would like to do for mom for Mothers Day. They actually said let's take Mom to her favorite hotel. Called the hotel only one room left on first floor pool side but it was only a king no double queens available after relaying this to our children they said dad we are willing to sleep on the floor. WOW I thought so i booked the room the lady said it was over $200 and I told her i thought that was a bit high and gave her my last name "Joiner" and explained that we have stayed here many times and she looked us up and said she could get us a better rate cool.
The following morning at check out I went to the office and gave the keys back and Carolyn who is Operations manager now said $220 What!! That's high I said "Busy Season" she said really Carolyn that's the discount we get for being Very Loyal customers when your begging for business or when your not? Here's a management math question for you. My wife and I are in our 40's we liked to stay at your hotel 4-5 times a year. Now let's say we live to be in our 70's. How much money do you think you just lost?
Now compound that with the age old saying of if you make us happy we might tell one person. Disappoint us we are going to Everyone we can!

Room Tip: Here's my tip.When booking If Carolyn the operations manager answers the phone hang up and call...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Robert J
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We wanted to have a local mini vacation at the beach and this hotel was one of the few that were still available two weeks out, which accommodated pets ($100 flat fee) and reasonable prices. We used a booking site to make the reservation. I called the hotel directly after that to ensure we did have a pet friendly room as we requested. Turns out, we didn't. We were told the booking site has no control over that. Very glad I called the hotel to make sure we had the room reserved.
Overall, the hotel was very accommodating and helpful.
The morning of our stay I called again to see if we could get an early check in. I was told they would call me if one became available. A couple hours later they did indeed call and tell us a room was available. We later saw the cleaning lady and she said 'oh you're the one with the dog.' She said she did make sure to clean that room early for us. We let her know we were appreciative. The room was very nice. It faced the back, the marina. It had a patio with two chairs and an 'end table'. Very relaxing.
Overall the room/hotel was very quiet. (It seemed some college grads did check in on our second night and were a little on the noisey side in the hallways with their comings/goings.. and allowing their doors to slam shut. They were quiet once in their rooms). But otherwise it was very quiet. We had walked through the pool area of either Bilmar or Thunderbird across the street and I was very thankful we were not at such a loud and crowded hotel. If you want a quiet beach stay, stay here..
The hotel is directly across the street from the beach/parking lot. So easy access. (The beach is very wide at Treasure Island, so it is a bit of a walk through the sand to get to the water's edge.. just something to be aware of in case you have small children/carry a lot to the beach) There is also a snack bar on the beach.
There were many options in walking distance to eat/drink... VIP (mexican food), Ricky T's (bar that stays open late and also offers breakfast), there's also a Sloppy Joe's directly on the beach. There's a very nice restaurant a couple doors down- Middle Grounds Grill. We were pleasantly surprised. We had a delicious dinner (If you go, dress up a little.. not shorts/tank tops/flip flops. ) There is an ice cream shop and 'sno cone' place next to hotel as well. There is also a rental place next to the hotel. You can rent boats, jet ski's and bikes. If we had more time, we definitely would've taken advantage. One thing we couldn't find nearby was great coffee to get quick .. We don't care for coffee offered in hotel rooms as it's too watery for us. There is a Rally's gas station a few doors down, we walked down there on the 2nd morning and it was pretty decent.
The only downside with the hotel was the toiletries. The soap felt like it had sandpaper mixed in (and I think the shampoo and conditioner was a one in all option, which I can't use with very long hair). Also, for our room, the a/c unit was about 16 inches away from the 2nd queen bed. The vents blew directly on to the bed. So it was not comfortable to sleep in that bed. You would freeze w/ it blowing directly on you in order to keep the rest of the room comfortable. We had the choice to sleep in the bed further away but if you needed to sleep in both beds, that wouldn't be great. They also didn't have a real blanket.. It was more or less a thick second sheet. But I'm sure if you request, the front desk could provide you with more though.
We enjoyed our stay. It was a very needed little getaway.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the marina, it's quiet and provides a nice view. The other side faces the...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hollyNhollywood
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The room was very clean and the staff is very friendly. Easy to locate on Gulf Blvd and nicely located to local restaurants and the beach. Public access to the beach is literally across the street. Only downfall is due to a higher building to the northwest, you are unable to view the whole sunset from your balcony, but with the beach being right across the street, you take a short walk and area able to view the wonderful sights and sounds of the gulf water. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I would suggest requesting a room that faces the west, this way when you sit on your balcony you can...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Blackpool
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on the 4th to 11th May 2014. On arrival our room was ok until I turned the bed down and found the sheets were not new. The next day, at 4.15 p.m.I called down to say our room had not been cleaned only to be told (very sarcastically) that the cleaners were still working and it would be done. I waited half an hour and went back to the room to find some clean towels dumped in the room and the covers pulled over the beds. I complained to the manageress who came and inspected the room and agreed that it was not good enough. She then proceeded to clean the room herself (and did a great job of it). She refunded $50 and a very nice handwritten note apologising for the trouble caused. I thought that would be the last of it but the very next day our room was not cleaned again! I complained again the following day and asked why this was, especially after my first complaint. She had no answer and agreed that from then on our room would be cleaned at 10 a.m. every day. She again refunded us the balance of our first nights stay and gave us vouchers for the Waffle House totally $12. Although the manager did everything she could I feel there should be a system of checking to see whose room was cleaned and an initial against any rooms that did not want room service. Also, when someone has a genuine complaint, I think someone should check the following day to see that it has not happened again. All in all, the hotel location was fine, the rooms at the front with a sea view also overlook the pool and a main road so they are quite noisy. Parking was a problem at busy times as people going to the beach seemed to be parking in the hotel parking lot instead of paying at the car park opposite. Also, we noticed strangers coming and sitting by the pool that were most definitely not staying at the hotel. For the price paid I do not think it was good value for money and, again, the cleaning needs to be sorted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back that overlooks the canal. It is quieter and has a better view. Rooms at...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family