“A great, right-on-the-beach, resort”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 19 March 2011

This is a great, locally owned, resort hotel right on the beach in St. Petersburg FL. Our room had beach views, had updated furnishings and fixtures and was very clean. We had the Gulf Front Efficiency Suite which worked out great for the two of us. It had 2 beds, a mini fridge and microwave. All we had to do to get to the beach was walk down the stairs out onto the sand.

They will give you a tag for parking in the main lot in front of the hotel - we were able to find spots each day in this lot. If that fills up there are 200 additional spaces in the overflow lot across the street next to Walgreen's. There are also two pools on site if you prefer that to the clear Gulf water. There are two restaurants on site - Sloppy Joes for lunch and dinner, and Bazzies that does breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast and dinner at Bazzie's on different days. Both times we got good service, good food and huge portions. We ate lunch at Sloppy Joes and they were also good.

We spent most of our time on the beach but there are a lot of things to do nearby. John's Pass Village and Boardwalk has a ton shopping. Busch Gardens isn't far. The Salvador Dali museum is a 20 min drive into St. Petersburgh (this is a great museum, parking in the free spaces is limited though so expect to pay $5 to park in the garage). On the way there are tons of places to eat and go out. Right along the strip right outside the hotel there are many shops and restaurants that are within walking distance. Two nights in a row we walked a couple of blocks up the street from the hotel to Middle Grounds, an amazing restaurant that is open for dinner every day. They use all fresh ingredients and they almost always have a "fresh caught" fish special. There is also a good Mexican restaurant right across the street. The inside is more like a bar but out back they have tables where you can sit an enjoy some great food.

2  Thank Amalthea345
Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed 10 March 2011

After a long, cold, snowy winter in the northeast I longed for the warmth of Florida. In 2010 my husband and 20 yr. old son stayed here for the first time as a home base to travel to Phillies spring training games. This year I decided to travel along (minus the games). I reserved our room in Jan. and waited anxiously for March to arrive. I reserved a beach front balcony room the same that my husband had the previous year. We arrived and I couldn't wait to sit on the balcony and gaze at the sunset, beach and water. So, imagine my displeasure when going to the balcony and finding a 4 foot wall around the entire balcony. You almost had to stand to enjoy any view. I was very upset as my husband said their room last year had a railing, not a wall. I politely went to the front desk to plead my case. I explained how disappointed I was having looked so forward to the view from the balcony and stating that it should be disclosed that that particular room DOES NOT have a view equal to the rooms with a railing. Needless to say, Heather was very polite and checked many options to try to find us another room. She was unable to find anything but promised she would continue to check for us as she was working until ll:00 that evening. I thanked her for trying and thought that was that and I would NEVER return to the Bilmar again. We proceeded to Sloppy Joe's to have dinner As we were dining Heather came into the restaurant hoping we meant be there. She asked if I could spare a moment and go with her to see another room that had an amazing view. I did, and it was a beautiful room with an outstanding balcony view. It is so difficult to get good customer service today so when Heather did all this for us, she restored my faith by giving us outstanding customer service. We spent 3 nights in that room and had to move to another room for our 4th night and Heather made sure it was also a lovely room. Thank you Heather for making my experience at the Bilmar a delightful one. I hope your manager realizes what a dedicated employee he has in you.

To the manager: You should make your customers aware of the rooms that have such an obstruction to the view. It is not a pleasant surprise unless you know ahead of time and it doesn't matter to you. Are you very lucky to have such a dedicated and courteous employee on your staff. Do what it takes to keep her!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Dear Mrs. Schultz,

Thank you for recognizing Heather’s outstanding dedication to customer service. She is truly a shining star on my already hospitable Team. I apologize for your original disappointment in your guest room view. While most hotels and a couple of rooms with some view obstruction I agree it is best to alert this to the guest before they check in and offer options if available. I will work with the guest services staff to better assign this room to an appropriate and hopefully volunteering party in an effort to exceed each guest’s expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor fans and for communicating your positive experience with Heather.

Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2011

Very clean older establishment that is well maintained. We were disappointed with the location of our first room as it did not have a balcony but it was an economy room with all the amenities.
The location is great i,e, right on the beach with a few key stores steps away such as a Publix and Walgreens. There are also two restaurants on site as well as some across the street. There are two heated pools and live music from the adjacent Thunderbird makes for reat atmosphere as does the beautiful sunsets.
We did change our room due to my wife coming face to face with the touristically named Palmetto Bug i,e. American Roach. These are big guys that usually live outside and not like the nasty NYC ones that multiply like crazy and are all over.
We did not see any more during our stay as they are too big to really hide anywhere. So would we come back? for sure. Lovely staff, always available, very courteous.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Dear Rockobello,

Thank you for staying at the Bilmar Beach Resort during your Tampa Bay getaway. I am so glad you enjoyed the great central location and the variety of restaurants, shopping and live entertainment within walking distance to the resort. I sincerely apologize you encountered a palmetto bug during your visit. We take extreme measures to prevent this type of inconvenience and of course have a full time professional company that monitors and treats the property to minimize any activity. Of course keeping window and doors closed is difficult with our beautiful spring weather but it is the number one way to prevent any unwanted visitors. I am very pleased we were able to accommodate you in a different room for the remainder of your stay.

I am glad you enjoyed the amenities in the Shells Studio, the best value for a gulf front room. On your next visit you should try either our Deluxe Studio or Gulf Front Efficiency which offer kitchenettes and private balconies. It makes a great Bilmar visit even better. We hope to see you back soon!
Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2011

My husband & I just spent a week at the Bilmar and had a wonderful time. The hotel staff was wonderful and our room was very clean. We loved the location, on the beach, and there were many restaurants within walking distance. Sloppy Joe's at the Bilmar had great food and drinks. We enjoyed sitting by the pool and on the sun deck. It was a little noisy on Saturday night, but that was expected. On our last night there was a repair taking place at 1AM and we were woken up with hammering. When my husband asked about it the next morning we were offered a free breakfast for the inconvenience, which was very nice of the staff to do. We look forward to returning next year!

Reviewed 9 March 2011

My girlfriend and I were happy with Bilmar. We toured the eastern USA for a month, from Toronto to NYC down to Charleston South Carolina to Key West, up to St. Pete and several stops going north back to popsicle land. The staff were amazing. The room was very clean and comfy. We spent most of our time shopping and sunning on the beach. Things I didn't like: The wireless Internet didn't work for us - they use cheap Netgear access points and they're not as compatible as more mainstream products. I agree with the person who said the lounge chairs by the north pool are pretty sorry, and I didn't like how we had to pay to use the laundry room especially when spending $200/night to stay. Seems cheesy in my opinion (Hampton Inn, a favorite hotel of ours when traveling the I-series freeways, provides laundry free and they're half the price). But otherwise we liked Bilmar. Awesome beach. The biker bar across the street was way too noisy unless you like hearing super loud motorcycles revving their engines over and over and over.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Darren,

I am very pleased you and Teresa enjoyed your visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort. I appreciate your comments about the internet access points and the laundry room and I will research the options upgrading these services as we continually strive to improve the resort. I apologize if Ricky T’s across the street had a few loud days during your visit. While it does have occasional custom bikes I think the upcoming Daytona Bike Week on the other coast brought out the “hogs” for some pre bike week activities. Normally it is known for 7 days a week music and outstanding weekend entertainment. We’ll monitor the activity and see if we need to work with the owner to tame it down during spring break for the enjoyment of the whole community.

The pictures you took of the pool were outstanding; thank you for sharing them with fellow travelers. It really captures the serenity of our North Pool and courtyard.

Thank you again and we all look forward to seeing you on your next trip south of the boarder!

Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 7 March 2011

wE ENJOYED THE Sunday night locals playing their drums and belly dancing on the beach. The sunsets are as nice as Key West. A short walk is a playground my granddaughter enjoyed. Also, the 2 heated pools and Sloopy Joe's was great.
Next time I wouldn't take the time to travel to Bush Gardens-there is enough to enjoy in
Treasure Island.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2011

After reading many reviews my husband and I decided to give the Bilmar a shot. Let me say this: It was an AWESOME vacation!! Our room was spotless....decorated beautiful and beachy. The beach was large and clean as well. The sunsets on our private balcony were....beautiful, romantic and we enjoyed listening to the live music that played just below our room. There were alot of things to do, as we also enjoyed live music at a few different pubs within walking distance. We are already planning our next years get away.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple