“Just OK”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 15 October 2007

This was my husband and I's second trip to the Bilmar and I was not impressed. We had only stayed a weekend last time. This was for an entire week. Our room was not ready upon arrival, and every time we checked we were told "10 more minutes". Finally after 2 hours of killing time, it was ready. The room was ok. One plus,the view was fabulous, we were on the 7th floor facing the gulf.
Parking is a nightmare, the parking lot is small and spaces are every which way. Also, on Friday night there was a "valet" who put orange cones in the spaces as soon as a car left. The sign said parking was for Sloppy Joes, ( pay $5 and get a gift card good for $5 at Sloppy Joes)which was attached to the hotel. Oh, and BTW, DON"T eat here. The food was not very good and overpriced. Also, the wait staff was slow and rude. Our next trip to Treasure Island will include a stay someplace else!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DebB47905

Reviewed 14 October 2007

We drove into Treasure Island looking for accomodation and liked the look of the Bilmar (also had offer voucher from one of the travel guides) reception staff were helpful and showed us 2 different standard of rooms. (we always ask to see the room prior to confirming, we have this notion that you'll always get the best available room) We chose a room that had a door opening straight on to the beach! Unfortunately we couldn't leave by this door because the lock was broken and it was secured by wedging a length of pipe behind the door! Not perfect but not too much of a hassle. Apart from that the room was good and kept clean.
Had a meal at Sloppy Joe's after settling in which was good, apart from a bunch of loud American guys sat at the bar using bad language, I don't think they would have appreciated a complaint, they seemed pretty well tanked up!
Pool areas were a little enclosed but the hot-tub was good. Staff were all very friendly and we had a very enjoyable stay to end our tour of Florida.
Tip - both restaurants on the board walk at John's Pass serve excellent seafood!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank burblebloke
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I should have read the reviews more closely about 2 wings / standards for this hotel. We got 3 days from Orbitz.. Window was chipped and scummy looking. The room was clean but no flat screen TV. Internet went out on the 2nd day, and on the third day the large 19 inch tv on our dining table would not change channels. I should have complained but it was my own fault for believing the over exagerated website. The hotel staff has no ideas of directions. They constantly handed me pamphlets that were outdated and of little help. In all........I would never go back.

1  Thank lwordsmith71
Reviewed 26 August 2007

we didn't have the experience that we hoped for. we were greeted by a very helpful staff upon check in, after that it was down hill. the room was filty, not a little neglected, food, sand, dirt, & misc on the tile floor, they were sticky & the carpet had not been vacuumned. we called to speak w/the manager, none called us or came to the room, think it might have been shift change time. house keeping came & commented on how dirty the room was left, she said she was very embarrassed by it's condition, she cleaned the tile & left. we pulled back the sheets and there were hairs & dirt, we called the front desk again, no manager but housekeeping came w/clean sheets. we were starving so left to eat while she changed the bed. we returned 2 hours later, nothing had been done!!! we called the front desk, 35 rings later no answer so we went to the office, it is late & we are tired but can't sleep in a room w/no sheets or blankets. the night manager after we found him, upgraded us to a larger room, all we wanted was a clean room and hope for the best, as I stated it's now past 10 p.m. and we want to relax, we wasted most of day already. the safe did not work but we never called them, we had a very short time away to try & relax and didn't want to stress out about that. when we checked out it would have been nice to have a large deduction to our bill, but it didn't happen, also received a voucher to return, not a free weekend, but for $99.00. we probably won't use it, the night staff just didn't seem to care about the concerns of the guest.

1  Thank floridabeachlover07
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My husband and I stayed in room 344 at the Bilmar Beach Resort from August 15 through 18. We found the reception staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. We arrived a few hours early and they gave us an available room immediately that was per our request.. a Deluxe Gulf front suite in the Palms building. Although our room was directly across from the lift, we had no noise issues whatsoever. Our room overlooked one of the pools and to the left was Sloppy Joes...the hotel eatery and night spot for drinking and karaoke on weekends. On the balcony you could hear activity, but once the sliding door was shut, there was absolutely no sound! The room itself was small but very clean with microwave, hot plate, dishes, and cutlery. A flat screen TV was on the wall and the channels came in very well. The down side to the room was the tiny bathroom..although clean, one has to sidestep around the door to close it. The other downside and I found this particularly annoying is the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. Pillows were hard and the mattress was lumpy! what is THAT all about???

There is another small eatery behind the lobby and the other pool called Bazzies. There are a few tables and you can pick up small fare like burgers and sandwiches. In the mornings, they offer (at a nominal price) breakfast..the buffet leaves much to be desired..this for $6.95. Bazzies tries hard..staff couldn't be friendlier, but they fail to offer much in the way of good food or comfort. We ate the first night at Sloppy Joes. My husband had a good seafood dish. I ordered the pizza, which was less than thrilling..neither one of us ate it. If you don't like sensory overload, stay out of Sloppy Joes....music blaring constantly. But again, staff is great.

Before we booked this holiday we read the complaints about parking. There is ample parking during the week, but God help you if you get back to the hotel late on the weekend. There is NO place to park and the overfill parking area across the street is takien by locals...seems karaoke night is a big deal at Sloppy Joes! haha. We circled the parking lot severals times before we were able to obtain a parking space that was not close to our room.

There are several restaurants in the area within walking distance..but nothing really that great for breakfast. The Waffle House down the street is there, but the food made me sick to my stomach! And I can eat almost anything. I didn't know you could ruin an egg, but they managed to. The food was under cooked. But I lived to see another day! haha.

The Gulf of Mexico has some stellar sunsets..all of which can be seen from almost every room, I believe. The water's edge is far from the hotel, but not THAT far. Wear sandals or flip flops because the sand is fraught with small and jagged seashells.

Okay...so to sum up the Bilmar we give it 5 stars ***** for friendlness, efficiency, and making one feel welcome. The room we give 3 stars *** because it is very clean, but small
the bed and pillows get 0 stars....ouch. The food deserves 2 ** stars, no more, but no less.

All in all the stay at the Bilmar was nice because of the surroundings..what's not to like about the view of the Gulf of Mexico. But would we stay at this hotel again? Probably not.

Oh..and one more thing... We had originally book through [--] and thought we had a great price (verrrrry low!) Two weeks later I received an email stating they couldn't fulfill our request...even after I received a confirmation number!! Quickly arranging another booking, we booked through another online agent using our AARP membership.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank shannyh1
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We stayed in July and again in August. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Rooms are nice and clean. Alot to do in walking distance. You can't beat this place for the price. We will return again.
FYI: one person wrote about bugs, let me tell you the whole state has bugs, lol, but we never seen one at the Bilmar. The place is great!

F&E

Reviewed 7 August 2007

Just returned today from our stay at the Bilmar hotel.If your looking for a five star hotel then you will be disappointed.But if your looking for a three star hotel on the beach with nice clean rooms for a good price then the Bilmar is it.The only bugs were a few fly's.I've read some of these reviews on here which kinda trash this place,all I can say is those people must be real hard to please.We stayed in the shells building.We had a beach view but no balcony.The room had two beds a fridge and microwave oven.The bathroom had Granite all over it(shower and sink) and a nice tile floor.The bathroom is a bit on the small side.We ate at Sloppy Joes rest.It was very good.We had the Blue cheese chips to start with(very yummy).My wife had the Sloppy Nacho's and I had the Cuban sandwich.Both were very good.For desert we had the Banana creme pie and the bag of dough.The pie was good but the bag of dough was just ok.The bill came to just over $46 and that included our son's meal as well.The only bad thing I can think of is it's a walk to the beach.About 250 yards I would say.But after eating a Sloppy Joes we were ok with it.They also have two pools to swim in plus a small cafe style place with a bar called bazzies.It's next to the pool on the north side.Would we stay here again,YES.We enjoyed it very much.I hope this helps.Mike.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family