“5 star it isn't”

Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
“5 star it isn't”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

but if you're looking for a family friendly affordable place on the beach in Treasure Island then this is as good as any. Just be sure to ask for a room that's not directly over Sloppy Joes restaurant. We had an efficiency room with microwave/stove and fridge, plenty of dishes and cooking utensils provided. The room was nice and clean, not huge but adequate. There's a Wal-greens across the street that has a small food market and a liquor store (big PLUS!) The beds were a bit firm for my taste but to each his own. The staff was nice and handled our requests for extra towels, pillows etc with no problems. Parking on the other hand sucks, there is extended parking across the street but parking at the hotel is virtually non-existent, especially for the Friday/Saturday night dinner crowds. The walls are thin, you can hear everything going on in every room around you, of course that means they can hear you too.. ;-) There are two pools but you had best stake out a chair early, there aren't many and they go fast, especially in the morning, the sun doesn't reach the entire pool area until well into the afternoon. It's a walk down to the gulf and was a bit disappointed to find out you have to rent the lounge chairs ($8 per day) the hotel does not provide any. Beach view room is a must, the sunsets are amazing! All in all it was a pleasant but average hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at the Bilmar for seven nights in March 2013. They call themselves a 'resort', but I honestly didn't experience any resort amenities (except the prices of drinks). The pools looked nice, but we never had an opportunity to use them because the hotel allows guests to stake out their spot at the pool and does nothing to control this. By 7:30 a.m. all chairs and tables have towels on them, but there isn't a soul in sight. I find this to be a very rude practice. If everyone would just go to the pool when they wanted to use it and find a chair, there would probably be plenty because people tend to come and go throughout the day. Imagine if restaurants allowed you to stake out your table for dinner at 7:30 a.m. If the hotel wanted to make the 'resort' amenities available to all, they would monitor this much better. Note: We were told to remove towels from chairs and sit there. I refused to do that - I don't think it's my responsibility to make another guest angry.

As another guest mentioned, the hotel is noisy and I, too, got very little sleep during our stay. I don't want to know when my neighbors flush their toilet, but if we were in our room, we heard the flushing. Ricky T's is annoying at best - music, yelling, motorcycles, loud cars. Despite what they tell you, Ricky T's noise does NOT stop at 10 p.m. I'm not sure how Sloppy Joe's came to be located directly below the hotel's tallest building where all the rooms have a gulf front view. The restaurant noise certainly distracts from the beautiful view. We could see daylight around all four sides of our room door so I'm sure that contributed greatly to the noise factor. I have to wonder how well the rooms are able to be cooled in sticky, hot weather with that much outside air penetrating the room.

I found Bazzie's to be a very bland beach bar in appearance. It certainly wasn't someplace I'd enjoy spending a great deal of time - too sterile, white, unattractive. The bartender had to keep leaving to go to the kitchen so service wasn't great.

The lobby had an odd feeling to it. It didn't feel welcoming to me at all; rather, you walk in the doors and have to stand there for a second to figure out where to go. It's hard to explain, but doesn't give a very good first impression.

On the plus side, we arrived before check-in time and they were able to get us in a room within an hour of our arrival. The shower had good water pressure and the refrigerator kept items cold. The wifi was free, but sometimes took an extended period of time to connect. Our dinner at Sloppy Joe's was very good. It was too cold to sit outside so we ate inside and it was pleasant.

There's a price point at which I accept certain shortcomings. Even booking this hotel three months before our arrival, the rate was excessive for the quality.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 2191LisaW
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Elle,

Thank you for staying at the Bilmar Beach Resort during our Spring season and for sharing your experience with your fellow travelers. The resort team appreciates your positive comments regarding early check in, free WiFi (which is currently undergoing a major upgrade) and your meal in Sloppy Joe’s. I sincerely apologize for any item you reported that affected your enjoyment of the resort and our amenities. Most guests enjoy the resort’s amenities which include: 2 pools, hot tub, fitness center, beach walking trail, sun deck with games and twice weekly movie nights, courtyard fire pit, the benefit of having two restaurants on site and of course the amazing Treasure Island beach at our back door. The saving of pool chairs is strongly discouraged and we address it in the newsletter provided at check in and with signage at each pool gate entrance. We only see this practice abused during the peak week of spring break and try to prevent it when it is observed. We identified issue in late March and did remove many towels from chairs with no guests. I apologize we did not do an adequate job during your pool time. I also apologize for any excessive noise you heard from either our own restaurant or from neighboring businesses. While Sloppy Joe’s does shut down at 10pm for our guest’s convenience the nearby establishments have until 11pm to reduce music that may affect our guests. We are working with the businesses and local officials on this issue to reduce controllable noise. I agree that a good seal on the guest room door is helpful with this and is one of the items we address on our quarterly preventive maintenance program and I apologize it was not to our standards during your visit. Also many guests find the Gulf Front Efficiencies in the Beaches Building quieter and they also offer additional space for your visit. We would welcome the opportunity to have you again as our guest and I would be happy to assist with any arrangements to ensure your comfort. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We took the kids to Treasure Island this year for spring break, kids are 8 & 9 yrs old. I have been to TI before and knew it was a great place for a family vacation. This time we stayed at the Bilmar Beach Resort. It is right in the center of town, everything close by, that was a plus. The kids loved the pool and the it is on the beach. If you have never been to TI you need to understand that you will have a walk to get to the water. It is a lot of sand, my guess for the hurricanes. Wasnt a problem with us, like I said I have been there before so I was expecting it. You get enough pillows in your room, the beds are firm but comfy. Now for the cons... The walls are really thin, I didnt get any sleep while I was there. We could hear everyone around us, beside us on both sides, above us and below us. When someone opens their sliding glass door it sounded like someone was moving furniture above us. We could hear the kitchen being cleaned from Sloppy Joes. Lack of sleep was not enjoyable. The bathrooms are really small, though the shower is large. There wasnt any water pressure in the shower and it didnt matter what time of day you used it. The water would also go from ice cold to very hot and back again, once again it didnt matter what time of day you used it. They have 2 restaurants, Sloppy Joes and Breezies (I think thats what the name was). Both are okay but not a huge selection and Sloppy Joes is pricey. The drink specials werent too bad, especially with the souvenir glasses. But be prepared to spend some money. lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids (off the kids menu) was still over 60.00. Breezies was less expensive but mainly sandwiches and wraps. Luckily we didnt plan on staying much in the room, just for sleeping. I wont be back to the Bilmar, I will return to TI but stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank shelly p
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel is a nice, beach front hotel. The staff were all very friendly, right down to the last person. My kids loved the heated pool, and there are restaurants across the street as well as in the hotel. Rooms were fairly large, with a full size refrigerator, microwave. There was a walking/running path between the hotel and the ocean which was also nice.

The area was a bit tired, but we would stay here again and recommend it.

1 Thank Wedge777
Pomona, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I great little hotel- everyone was great- staff very friendly- had a 1st floor room with a walk out onto the beautiful beach. The bed was very comfortable, room service did a good job daily. there's lots of kids- so I didn't feel too uncomfortable when my toddler was throwing a tantrum. It's in a great location - you can stay on your beach, but you aren't far from Pass-a-Grille, John's Pass, or Clearwater Beaches either. Prices were reasonable and you are so close to some great restaurants.

1 Thank gary1217
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a couple nights earlier this month. Everything was clean and comfy, so no complaints. We had stayed the previous month at the Sirata at St. Pete Beach, so the comparison was pretty fresh in our minds. The Sirata was simply a better place to stay, in my opinion. This doesn't mean I do not like Bilmar, just that I would choose to stay at the Sirata if I was to return.

The beach at the Bilmar was great, not too crowded and clean. The hotel food was good - so was the drink :-) We also appreciated the nice warm pool, since every day was cloudy and it never really got warm.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy C
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Nice people and a nice stay. We had read the reviews and knew what to expect. We were having trouble getting a condo for only 3 nights during spring break, so this was the next best. The positives....The room was very clean and beds comfortable. The kitchenette (we had a 3rd floor beach front suite in the Palms building) was nice and the housekeeping staff was very helpful in keeping it clean since there is no dishwasher. Since the room was beach front, we could wake up to beach views and sounds; we were aware that it would be a wide beach and didn't mind. On the less positive side, at booking we asked for a high room to get away from the restaurant/bar and pool sounds, and we only got 3rd floor, and they couldn't switch us. So up until the restaurant closed (10pm), it was noisy, and we looked directly down on the pool so we kept our curtains pulled when the pool was busy. There is also noise from across the street at another restaurant/bar. Honestly these things weren't deal breakers for us, but could bother some. Plumbing in our room was also noisy. All that said, given the same situation of choices, we would stay again because the room was clean and adequate and the staff was excellent. The restaurant was also very good.

Room Tip: High floor in Palms building would probably be best.