“Treats Locals with no Respect”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had family staying here for a few days and visited the front desk to inquire on a parking pass. The guests staying were advised to have us stop by and provide info to obtain a pass. On Friday, I stopped in and advised I would be a visitor to the hotel for 2 days. As the younger woman proceeded to assist, Lisa (an older woman) yelled over and told the young woman to only give me parking for 1 day only. She continued to state that they were not sure how full they would be on the weekend. I accepted my pass and parked in the VISITOR LOT for the day. The following day I stopped by the desk and as a young woman was willing to assist once again with a new pass for me, Lisa yelled over saying NO- we dont have anything available etc etc. I reminded Lisa how poor of service this is, even to LOCALS, as I have already spent money at the hotel the previous day and had planned to spend even more that day. She ignored my feedback/comment and answered the phone to get away from having to speak to me or the other employee. Lisa was extremely unprofessional to myself, and with a lobby of other 'guests' waiting in line.

It shouldnt matter if I am an overnight guest staying in a room or a 'visitor'. If you offer this to the guests who are staying and advise them what to have their 'guests' do when they want to come for the day, then the establishment should follow through. The parking lot is either intended for a guest or it isnt. Do not base it on the mood of the front desk employee- this one being Lisa.

I spent money in the beach bar on Friday. On Saturday I paid my own parking and ate elsewhere off the property, as I had no intentions to ever spend any money at this resort again due to the poor treatment by Lisa. On average,I pay parking at the beach access' 3 times/month. Paying for parking is no issue on my end as it is a norm for me. My husband and I stay overnight at the hotels along St Pete and Treasure Island an average of once a month. We are frequent visitors of both day and overnight. I was excited to have the ability to check this hotel out and possibly return for an overnight stay. After the 2 interactions with Lisa, we have decided this hotel is not for us, as we would rather give our money and business to other properties who are friendly, and provide decent customer service.

2  Thank ohchick76
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Local Patron,

While I apologize for your frustration over the Bilmar’s parking policies I question the validity of your posting on our hotel review page. Your comments on the approach by Lissa have been noted and we will coach all of our team on the best way to handle requests for visitor parking. It is true we strongly protect the parking spaces designated for our overnight guests. We spend over $100,000 annually on parking attendants and valet parking to make as many spaces available for our overnight guests while providing ample “day” parking through valet at Sloppy Joe’s or at our additional lots on the east side of Gulf Boulevard. To issue a guest parking pass to a local visitor would not be fair to our overnight guests. Our commitment to the local community is 2nd to none on Treasure Island. In addition to offering outstanding values to our residents for off season visits we also donate over $90,000 in services annually to local charities as well as time with local government, Chambers of Commerce and many other community outreach programs throughout the county. We welcome you as a guest and restaurant patron but request you use the parking options available to our day guests in order to honor the expectations of our overnight visitors.

Yours in hospitality, Clyde Smith – General Manger

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent 4 nights here for a long weekend with our daughter for her pacing break. Was a little concerned from the look outside, but don't judge a book by its cover. We were in the main building with a gulf view, beds were comfy, TV, cooktop, microwave and large fridge. Our room also had the pool on one side and Bazzles near by on the gulf side, but all was quiet every night by 9. The staff and housekeeping were very helpful, friendly, and met every request. We had various meals at Sloppy Joe's, Bazzles, Ricky T's, Foxy's, The Pearl, and The Middle Ground Grill, I would recommend them all. You really don't need a car here everything is within walking distance including Walgreens and Publix. The beach is beautiful, a little wide, but there are daily rentals of chairs and umbrellas as we parked ourselves there each day. We all agreed that we would go back again.

Room Tip: The higher up the better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lisa h
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We spent 3 nights in room 431 in the Shell building and were very pleased with the cleanliness and updated décor. The beds were comfortable and there was a nice TV, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was small and no fan, but nice granite tub surround and sink. The housekeeping lady and desk staff very helpful. We had one breakfast at Bazzles but also found Foxy's around the corner. There is a nice 1 mile boardwalk and 2 pools. The beach is very wide here and a little walk to the beach that might be a problem for older couples, but we had an excellent view from our room and I enjoyed photographing the sunsets, surf, birds, etc. We spent a pleasant morning and lunch at John's Pass and drove to the Tyrone Mall, Baywalk, and Sunken Gardens. Highly recommend and a great value with Groupon.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the Gulf so depends on your budget and if you want the kitchenette and balc...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Cat645,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort and friendly staff. We are all pleased you enjoyed your visit to Treasure Island it is obvious from your review that you enjoyed a great variety of the activities and amenities that can be found so close to the Bilmar Beach Resort. We look forward to your return. Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and it was a wonderful trip. Shauna and April at the check in desk were both so pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, we had to cancel a trip to Australia due to me having an accident and I could not travel far so we chose to spend a couple days at the Bilmar for our anniversary. It was not the Outback but a very pleasant stay. Also, Tiffany at Bazzies Bar was so kind and made sure our breakfast experience was wonderful. Plus, this hotel is so convenient to so many eating places and John's Pass. We live in Florida and will definitely be back as it was clean and the employees were so nice.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and had an ocean front room and it was so nice to sit out and watch the oce...

Dear Valued Guest,

While I am truly sorry you had to cancel your Outback trip to Australia I am so pleased you discovered the Bilmar Beach Resort and our greatest asset: friendly and engaged team members. Many area resorts boast our beautiful beaches and variety of activities but I am happy you join me in recognizing that people like Shauna, April and Tiffany are what makes the difference in a vacation from good to great. Please contact us directly or through our web site to take advantage of our yearly Florida Resident Discounts for your next Treasure Island Getaway.
Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Nice hotel, Beautiful location, Get a memorable sunsets. Our room gave us stunning view. A nice walking path aside the beach. We enjoyed it so much we booked an extra night. No Decks. A pretty good walk across the beach to get to the ocean. We also had a really nice breakfast in there restaurant steps from the beach.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view with the highest floor you can get
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

The bilmar is the biggest hotel along that strip with views right across the beach. Our room looked out the the most stunning sunset ever!

Our room was a deluxe sea view it had 2 queen beds, a kitchen n bathroom it was spot on for our needs.

House keeping came daily and the staff our all very friendly n helpful.
Bazzies beach bar is great for breakie n turned into a stunning wedding venue which was the purpose of our visit. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I went to the Bilmar this month to meet up with a couple of friends. I live in Naples and they live in Orlando. We each got our own rooms and both rooms were very nice. They are small (2 queen beds, a dresser, a small table) and the bathroom is teeny tiny, but over all it's nice. I stayed in the room with the little kitchen and my friends stayed in the shell room. Both were almost identical except I had a sink, cooktop, and some cabinetry. Personally, I wouldn't want to do any real cooking in there as you'd be sitting on the bed to make it LOL.

The staff was great, both restaurants were good, the beach is wonderful (had schools of little sting rays swimming around us all day) and the 2 pools were adequate.

I can't see me staying here for more than a couple of nights as the size makes you feel closed in, but that's just me. I will FOR SURE come back again.

If you are handicapped make sure to use the bellman. The trek from the lobby to any rooms by Sloppy Joe's is far. It's not convenient for disabled people. Also, the walk from the hotel to the actual Gulf water is FAR so plan accordingly. Oh, and it was nice to have Walgreens right across the street!

Room Tip: take rooms furthest from sloppy joe's or you'll see the roofing. I was in room 641...very n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends