“Great personal service”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was there for 5 days by myself taking care of my Mom's estate affairs and felt safe, protected, and found all the staff pleasant and friendly. They even covered my convertible with plastic when I mistakenly left the top down during a nasty thunderstorm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear KMB927,

Thank you for generous comments about your recent visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort. Please accept our condolences for your loss. I am proud our Team was able to make the experience easier for you. Although your rented convertible got a little damp we were happy to have deterred a possible wash out during the unexpected rain storm. I sincerely hope you can return soon and enjoy all the Bilmar and Treasure Island have to offer.
Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

What a HORRIBLE waste of money. Our family in fl suggested staying in St. Petersburg this year (last yr we were @ Clearwater Beach). We were only staying one night coming from Disney to hang out at the beach with our kids before heading home. We settled on Bilmar Beach Resort. It looked nice in the pictures provided on expedia. Driving through to treasure Island I was feeling anxious as the area was just not getting "better" like it did in Clearwater. When we pulled into this hotel I was very disappointed. This was a MOTEL. A motel that cost over $200 /night! The pics are very deceiving. Ex: the lobby pic looks vert classy and modern. Is about 1/8 of the size and not classy at all. I pulled into the terribly tight parking space and proceeded to check in. The woman behind the counter wreaked of cigarette smoke and was very flighty. She asked for my cc 3x because she couldn't remember if she swiped it! I had to fill out forms to get Beach towels and was told I needed to inform them when I returned each towel or I'd be charged. They offered me beach chairs and an umbrella. .. But I had to carry them from the front desk to the beach (all the while juggling my kids and beach towels and bag)!!! And btw it is considered beachfront but they don't tell you it's like 1/4 mile walk! After the awkward check in we walked to our room. First floor in front of the pool. Nice, right? I suppose. .. If we didn't have to step over smoking drunken slobs laying in the walkway (who btw stayed in the room next to us). They had their beer cans lined up along the widow ledge and around the ground (classy). Drunk, loud, swearing, smoking guests littered the pool & common area. Totally not an option to let the kids swim.
When we walked into the room the smell of mildew hit us like a brick wall. It was disgusting and did not go away.
After the beach we went out to dinner w/some family off property. When we returned @ 830pm there was not one single open parking place. After driving around 2x and no valet person in sight I went in to talk to the front desk. The girl behind the counter told me that I had to park across the street at the walgreens. Huh. We had very small children w us. I told her I wasn't comfortable with that. The street is busy and full of aggressive drivers. So the girl left and came back with the valet guy (not a manager. .. The valet guy) who proceeded to tell me that "Bilmar has a shortage of parking spots. Every night someone has to park across the street and tonight was no different. ..id have to park there". That was his answer? I asked if he could valet my car then. He said no bc I was not a restaurant guest. I was a hotel guest. Um.. aren't they on the same property? I spent over $200 to stay at this gross motel. And the only advice they could give was to let my husband drop the kids off and go park the car at walgreens. He also told me that bc of this ongoing issue they will be starting valet service for this. But it won't start until next week. Therefore he could not help. What a joke.
This place sucked. It was disgusting and overpriced. The room smelled horrible and the guests were so trashy. Do NOT waste your money at this place. Never ever ever again!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank dissatisfied_bilmar

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to learn of your first impression of the facility and services at our Resort. We strive every day to exceed the expectations of our guests as is evident in the many positive reviews shared by your fellow travelers. Please be assured the experiences you describe are not common to a typical visit to the Bilmar. Treasure Island is known for our large beach and most guests enjoy the use of the beach chairs available for their use. Unlike many east and west coast resorts the deeper beach provides a tranquil experience away from the noise of hotel pools and activity. While it is difficult to monitor all of our guests behavior we do maintain 24 hours staffing to keep celebrations to a minimum. Also we strongly enforce the non-smoking policy in our guest rooms, interior common areas and at both of our resort pool area. As at most beach resorts parking in peak season is always a challenge; for that reason we do offer 3 parking lots for our guests to utilize. Two are “next to Walgreens” and I regret if there was any misunderstanding of the parking lot locations. The Manager On Duty you spoke with was accurate in stating we are doing a test period of offering valet parking for our overnight guests. Prior to this beginning the only valet was for our signature restaurant, Sloppy Joe’s, to prevent restaurant patrons from using any prime guest parking. Again I do sincerely regret we failed to meet your expectations but I am confident we can deliver the service and amenities that have made the Bilmar Beach Resort the landmark resort of Treasure Island for over 50 years should you choose to give us another opportunity.
Yours in hospitality, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in one of the penthouse suites. Nothing five star about it, just a decent room with a lot of space and a nice view. Amenities and furnishings were average, not special in any way. Not worth hundreds of dollars for the room. Service was very good, especially housekeeping and maintenance. We had a minor issue with the kitchen, and maintenance took care of it immediately and professionally. Housekeeping was terrific. They are hardworking and deserve kudos.

Treasure island is great for sedate seniors and families with little kids. Others should steer clear.

Room Tip: Rooms close to Bazzie's Beach Bar lack privacy and hear music from the bar; those in the tower a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SelectiveTraveler99

Dear Selective Traveler,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort and for sharing your experience with other travelers. I truly appreciate the kind remarks regarding the service and our “terrific” housekeeping team; they really do work hard to exceed our guest’s needs. Currently our Penthouse Suites do not have many of the upgraded features such as crown molding and granite features found in our Studios and Efficiencies but I am happy to report plans are under way to raise the level of quality and detail expected in that type of accommodation. I hope you will return and enjoy the resort and many activities found within walking distance once the renovations are complete; or contact me earlier and I can assist with reserving one of our other suites or guest rooms where full renovations have been completed.

Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Wonderful place to relax with the "old Florida" feel. I took this trip with mom who has traveled the world, but had not spent any time in FL. She loved the atmosphere, choices of: pools, beach, to eat out or to run to Pubix & grab food to prepare in the room.
I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms were. Being that this property is celebrating their 50th, they have done great job remodeling the rooms. However, the outside is need of a thorough cleaning, especially around SJ's.
We LOVED the live music at SJ's, which was perfect to listen too from out balcony. The jazz group on Wednesday nights is also very good. They have a HUGE local following, so don't be surprised if you decide to go. There should be room somewhere for you! They also have bar & food service during their performance!
Great place to get away from the crowds. People were incredibly friendly in this area. Staff goes above & beyond at all levels!!!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a room that had a stove top. I think this also provided a room with more room. There...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My kids (ages 11, 9, and 7) and I just returned last night from a five day stay at the Bilmar. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would consider returning in the future. Special thanks to Michael at the front desk who was kind, professional, and courteous. He was very helpful in relocating our room to one with a balcony as requested. We really loved the breakfast at Bazzie's- be sure to try the breakfast tacos- yum!!
The beach is gorgeous and the sunsets breathtaking.
We also enjoyed the evening entertainment at Bazzie's and sand volleyball available.
The pools were clean and well heated.
Although our room was somewhat noisy due to traffic, the garbage truck, cleaning carts, and a few loud guests- we enjoyed being on the first floor for easy access to the pool.
Our main problem with our stay, which I kind of hate to mention, but believe it may be important to note is that we had four palmetto bugs in our room (2 dead, 2 alive) over three different days. The worst was around 9:30 as my 9 year old was just starting to fall asleep and then started screaming as a 2 inch bug was crawling up her arm in bed- yikes!! It was all out chaos in my room, but we were eventually able to get rid of it. On our last morning we woke up to another one crawling across the wall near the kitchenette. I understand that these bugs are common in this area, but it left a little but of a bad impression and my kids were pretty freaked out. I read through the reviews and did not see others complain if this problem, so maybe it was just an unfortunate coincidence.
Despite this problem, the good really outweighed the bad, and we would like to come back again.

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank helffrde
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Helffrde,

Thank you for spending your 5 day spring break at the Bilmar on Treasure Island. I sincerely appreciate your positive comments about the resort amenities and also Michael that does a wonderful job representing the spirit of hospitality the Bilmar has been known for over many years. I apologize for the experience you had with insects in your room. We actively treat the rooms and grounds and perform daily inspections of each guest room to minimize this inconvenience. I assure you we will address this with our outside service and step up our efforts in preventing this type of activity. We look forward to your return and to providing your family with a relaxing island experience.
Best regards, Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I spent hours researching locations in the Clearwater/St. Pete area and decided on the Bilmar. We are a couple in our 30s with a 4 and a 6 year old. We chose the Bilmar because of previous reviews, the beach location, the close proximity to Publix and many restaurants. We spent our days at the north pool and at the beach. The facilities are really clean. There is always someone working in the hallways. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed watching the beautiful sunsets outside our gulf front 1st floor room. If you are looking for a family friendly vacation locale on the beach, I highly recommend the Bilmar.

Room Tip: We loved the 1st floor room that opened to the beach. Others may enjoy the balcony views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Bilmar is a very good choice if you are looking for a nice, clean well staffed hotel in this part of Florida. I gave it 4-stars as it compares to similar older beach hotels, but it is by no means a true resort.

The room was fine and housekeeping was pretty good. I made coffee in the room each morning (complimentary) and the pot was not cleaned or even emptied, but that was really no big deal. My room in the 4 story tower did not have a balcony, which was a shame as I like to sit outside and watch the ocean.

There are two pools but they were crowded with kids and they reminded me of the pools at an older apartment complex. Again…not a resort pool by any means.

The location was great, right on the beach, but as others have noted, the beach is very wide here so you have at least a 200 yard walk from the hotel to the ocean. No big deal except if you are older or if you need to use the facilities or head to the bar often.

I did not eat at either restaurant, but they were always busy. Sloppy Joes is open in the evenings but closes at 10pm. There is a pretty lively bar across the street with a band inside and an acoustic act on the patio. It was always packed.

If you are looking for an inexpensive place to enjoy the beach then this would be a good choice. If you want a modern resort, then look elsewhere. For comparison, I have also stayed at the Sirata Beach Resort in North St Pete Beach and both are very similar.

Room Tip: All rooms are gulf view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo