“okay for the price”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I stayed here for 3 days and did not experience any of the bug problems mentioned in other reviews.The rooms are small and showing some age.The rug in my room was frayed.The hotel needs to do somethindg about loud guests,I had a group below my room who were outside partying to 3 am.I was also disappointed in the restaurant food although it was reasonably priced.The front desk was very helpful anytime I had a question and my room was cleaned every day.The hotel is reasonably priced but I would consider staying elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank bhawbill
Write a ReviewReviews (2,180)

Reviewed 29 April 2007

Arrived on the 21st early (12:30PM) room was ready!! Good for us!! My wife and I, 48 and 53 respectively where looking for a good deal and found it in the Bilmar...Room was clean and we stayed in the middle building, no balcony though, no big deal..In fact if you stay in the big building over Sloppy Joes, it tends to be a little noisy, espec. if theirs a wedding going on.Their where NO bugs in our room. Some of these posts I really question. But then again, it was not me who had a questionable stay. All in all I give the Bilmar a solid 4 in ratings!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fanmail1
Reviewed 25 April 2007

Great hotel for the price. I had a conference in Tampa later in the week and extended it to add a few days at the beach along w/ a MBL game at Tropicanna Field. The staff was very friendly & accomodating, rooms & property were both clean. Sloppy Joes food & prices were very good. I found this hotel based on prior web reviews and was very pleased with the selection. My husband & I enjoyed it would definately return.
Pennsylvania visitor.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank mrapplegate
Reviewed 25 April 2007

My wife and two children (1 and 4 years old) stayed at the Bilmar for 5 days in April. It was our first and LAST visit to both Treasure Island and the Bilmar - both are generally run down.

When we first arrived, the hotel was full of a young "party crowd" - not really a place for families. The two pools were not all that clean and were surrounded by people smoking. The noise from the restaurant and bar lasted until late in the night and so did the noise from the people coming in late in the rooms next door.

Although I did my research on TripAdvisor before coming, I decided to give the Bilmar the benefit of the doubt. Boy, was I wrong! I now noticed that there latest reviews are pretty negative. Be warned!

The updated rooms were small and not very clean. We noticed lots of small bugs in the bathroom - all over the sink - disgusting! I cannot believe that they are trying to sell these rooms as condos. Who would buy here?

The staff was hit or miss. Some were very friendly, but others were not and many of our requests were ignored - for high chairs, etc.

The hotel looks like an old time Florida hotel from the outside, but without the charm. The beach is VERY rough and a long walk to the water.

We did like the food at Sloppy Joe's - located in the hotel, but would obviously recommend that you eat there and then leave and stay somewhere else.

We much preferred the Fort Myers area to Treasure Island.

3  Thank Bogeydog
Reviewed 20 April 2007

We travelled during the Ontario, Canada March Break from the 9-19th. We booked our vacation and then heard about TripAdvisor.com. We read all the reviews and were a little concerned about our vacation. We arrived at the Bilmar before check in time but the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly explained that there was not a room ready for us but told us we could go to Bazzies and have lunch and indicated where we could change if we wanted to go swimming. We were able to go to our room prior to the normal check in time. The room was very nice just like the pictures on the website. We had read lots of reviews of the noise from Sloppy Joes, we had a room directly above it on the 4th floor, the music quieted by 11:00 p.m. We traveled with 2 children and we were able to quiet the noise by closing the sliding door and opening it after 11:00. The room was cleaned and replenished with soap, shampoo, conditioner, and coffee daily.

The view of the sunset and beach were fantastic. The staff at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. Sloppy Joes and Bazzies were very good, I would recommend PJs and Crabby Bills in Indian Rocks for fish/seafood both very good restaurants, if you don't have a car it is a 20 minute trolley ride. If you are looking for Italian Gigis across the street is also very good.

Overall we were very pleased wtih the accomodations and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an affordable beach vacation in Florida.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank CanadaBeachesOntario
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Horrible,dirty rooms. The building in the pictures is the new building, but most of the rooms were in the original building, and they don't show that one. The room was dirty, the carpet had so many stains. The pillows were flat,sponge and we both had bites on our neck when we woke up. The rooms open to the outside and you can hear everything. This would be a terrible place to bring little kids. The road is noisy and not very safe for children. I really have nothing good to say.

5  Thank islanddoggie
Reviewed 1 April 2007

the hotel is 500 ft. to water. cabanas are available for rent. The pools are heated.The chairs that are available pool side are taken before 8 am by pool "hogs" who leave hotel towels on chaises,but seldom use the chairs. The hotel can and needs to do something about that. My 7 day visit, the sheets were never changed. and the room did have small ants. by the end of our stay the bed also had the bugs. Two positives, the view and sloppy joes, neither have anything to do with the bilmar.Wait at sloppy joes was 45 min. to an hr. Across the street was Walgreens and Mcdonalds. Entertainment at both restaurants on site were adequate. Would I go back, no. But the staff was pleasant and my stay was relaxing.

Stayed: March 2007