“Heaven”

Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the Thunderbird Beach Resort this year in May and had a fantastic time. Rooms were very nice! Clean, comfortable beds, plenty of towels, beach front, spotless pool, hot tub, Tiki bar with live music and the best staff ever! Johnney Anderson helped us out and the girls at the front desk couldn't be better. The year before we stayed there over 4th July and the fireworks show on the beach is sensational. I highly recommend this Hotel. You will love it!!!!
N. Kelley

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nancy K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,648)

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We don't stay-cay too often and prefer to travail to new places but when we do The Thunderbird is always a favorite. Once again the staff was friendly and responsive from check-in to check-out. I was amazed at how hard the staff worked to keep the place clean. I've stayed in much more expensive hotels and not received the service I got from The Thunderbird's housekeeping staff. If I had one criticism it would be to get the brunch buffet a bit more organized but for the price I can't really complain too much. All in all another great weekend.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Tommy_T64
Reviewed 8 June 2014

You should of know you weren't staying at the Hilton. I find nothing wrong with plastic chairs. It's a very nice, clean pleasant stay for us middle class people that don't need a bunch of fancy stuff. We've stayed there every year for quite a few years. Staff is awesome and remembers us. I found nothing wrong with the towels. Soap is like any other hotel soap. Please don't let the negative review keep you from going. I don't like smokers either, but it would be like that anywhere you go. They have a right to smoke. We enjoy the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Regina H
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The manager named Kat (short for Katrina) was incredibly rude to my family and should NOT be working in the hospitality industry. Kat accosted my nephew and his lovely and pregnant wife when we returned from the beach to go to the pool. Since they live in nearby Tampa and were not registered guests, she made snarky and snide comments, then hurried away, glaring at us over her shoulder repeatedly while stomping away. That vision has stayed with me every day since and I feel badly that she caused my family strife and stress during what should have been a happy occassion, my brother's surprise 60th birthday party. She made us feel extremely uncomfortable and very unwelcome. I have been staying at hotels in the Clearwater/St. Pete Beach areas for the last 30 years and never once had SUCH a horrible experience. She could have spoken to me, the registered guest, kindly and politely, to inform us that only registered guests are permitted at the pool, but she chose to handle it in the worst possible way. It wasn't even a holiday weekend and the pool area was half empty. We would have purchased food and drinks at the hotel, but were chased away instead. Her treatment of us was unfathomable. Guests BEWARE!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank EllenM215
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Thunderbird was fabulous!! After many hours of research, my husband and I selected the Thunderbird Resort to host our parents and Aunt on our visit to Florida. We are so very glad that we did. The staff was wonderful and took great care of our family! Special thanks to Katrina Irizarry, Missi, Mr. Bill, James, Kat, Amanda at the front desk and grounds, Leo & Melony at their restaurant, and Chelsea their house keeper for being so kind and caring. These ladies and gentlemen were always happy to assist and made the stay great! They obviously care about helping to make their guests vacation memorable. The rooms were wonderful and clean & we loved the kitchenette. The grounds are beautiful and green which is very nice after a day on the beach or to relax by the pool. The music was great but also stopped promptly at 11:00 which was good for our group. Watching the sunset at the Tiki Bar was lots of fun! Free parking is always a plus and we loved being directly on the beach. We all really loved the feel of this resort and had such a good time. Thank you so much for all that your staff did to make our stay so wonderful!

Room Tip: We recommend staying in a room in the original part of the hotel. Poolside Efficiency was great!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The positives:

- Neatly kept grounds and pools.
- Cozy, clean rooms, comfy bed, nice furniture and TV, the kitchenette is convenient.
- Friendly and helpful front desk and restaurant staff.
- The restaurant itself! The decor is a cheap fast food place, but the food! You ought to try it. With the food this good, I hope they will have $$$ to update the decor in no time. Once we went to order a 2 slices of pizza for kids, they said at this time of evening they do not have pizza slices left, and made us the whole pizza for the price of 2 slices. Next morning our daughter went there to get a portion of sweet Italian doughnuts for breakfast, and they gave her the whole carry-out box of them, enough for the whole family. Very simple treat, but delicious.
- The beautiful clean beach. The walk to the water is a bit long, but still pleasant, so it isn't a problem.
- Central location in Treasure Island, with lots of shopping and dining options nearby.

Now, for a negative that will prevent us from coming back and a reason for only 3 points. All the time we stayed there, it was a constant impression that we were the ONLY ones who did not smoke. Smokers are everywhere. We were especially shocked by a sight of a lady in a pool who had a cig in one hand, and was holding a tiny raft with an infant child with the other. Another lady was smoking by her room door having a child on her lap. Unbelievable. So, if you don't mind smoking first- or second-hand, and the sight of second-hand smoking kids doesn't shock you, you'll totally enjoy this place. As for us, we'll choose a place to stay in the area more carefully next time, even if it'll cost more.

But, we'll definitely return to visit the fabulous restaurant again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dznynut
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at the Thunderbird for 4 nights over March Break. My husband and I were looking to show our kids a bit of nostalgia of what motels looked like when we were kids. Boy we hit it right on the money! If you like thin scratchy towels, soap slivers and dish detergent quality shampoo, you'll love this place. We made sure never to take off our shoes in the room. The bathrooms had absolutely no ventilation and lucky us garbage pick up was right outside our window. Speaking of outside, each room has two plastic chairs just outside their door which are used non stop by smoking guests . I felt like I was at a smoking convention there were some many puffers and to get to the beach you had to pass through clouds of smoke. There is a tiki bar which I had read was fantastic, in reality it was a drunk tank for cougars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family