“You may want to BEWARE!!! READ THIS!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Midwest
“You may want to BEWARE!!! READ THIS!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

This was our second time staying at the Island Inn. Obviously not the classiest place in the area, but the beach is nice so you can over look what I would consider average rooms. Here's the scoop folks. First off let me say that I have stayed in motels hundreds of times and its always the same procedure. Check your photo ID and slide your credit card through. Not at the Island Inn apparently. When we checked in I was standing were I could not see into the little room next to the check in area, but my wife could. When I handed her my credit card and drivers license she walk into that side room. I took it for granted that she ran my card and then came back to give me back my credit card and license. My wife was standing were she could see in that area and watched this girl run a photo copy of my credit card and drivers license. I think anyone that has ever checked in to a motel knows that the credit card is swiped in the machine and only the last four numbers show up on the receipt and then your photo ID is looked at and handed back to you, not copied. I have some knowledge of identity theft scams and I'll tell you that running a photo copy of your ID and credit card is the number one scam. You may find this very interesting. After this all happened we asked if they had lawn chairs in the room and we were told they didn't, but we could rent them. We told the girl we would needed two chairs. She ended up having to leave the front desk to get our chairs, so I thought I'd run a little test on these people and check to see for what possible purpose they could possibly have for running the photo copies of my info. Like I said my wife seen her run the copy and when she left to get our chairs my wife told me the copy was on the other side of the counter under the normal check in paperwork. So when the girl walked away I reached over the counter and took the photo copy and put it in my pocket. When the girl came back with our chairs, we left to go to our room. OK lets think about this for a minute. We are checked in and in our room, plus they have my cell phone number and license plate number. As soon as this girl would have picked up the normal paper work that was covering the photo copy she would have had to realize that it was missing. Does anyone else think that if this was a document that they truly needed for room rental that they would have came to our room or called me on my cell phone to let me know that they needed this. We heard nothing and when we checked out the next morning I was handed a receipt and we went on our way. I honestly believe that thanks to my wife's heads up we may have been saved a lot of problems. I'm going to contact the manager, but I'm fully expecting to be blown off. When we left Island Inn that day we wrote down the names of other places in the area so I'm sure we will be trying something new next year. By the way I totally agree with a previous writer about the Tiki bar. It's really nice and Rick is a great guy and his prices are very fair.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Riles2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Gaithersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

I went to Florida for my 50th high school reunion and wanted a place to relax with my sister afterwards. Searching the internet, I came across The Island Inn. I found that they had a special rate plan for September. So we shared a Gulf front room with two Queen beds, a complete, stocked kitchenette and a balcony for less than $90 a night. As a result ,we ate in which saved us even more money while we enjoyed early morning walks on a practically deserted beach, swam in their lovely pool and watched the sunsets from our balcony. A great place to stay for bargain hunters. A couple with two young children would have found the room size adequate.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Island Inn over the Labor Day week-end. We rented an efficiency thru a private owner, who had mailed us the room key cards prior to arrival. Upon arrival we checked in with the front desk to get our parking pass. They were very helpful telling us where to park and where not to. We got everything settled in room (this was early a.m.) and went down to beach & pool. When ready to go back to room, I could not find my key card. I had checked and double checked to make sure I had it before we left the room. We went to office and explained situation. Luckily, Vicki had originally checked us in and was still there. She called maintenance and they has master key. And, right there on the floor was my key. It had fallen out of my bag due to my double checking. Normally, when you rent from a private owner, if you loose a key, your kind of out of luck. We would have had to contact the owners who live over an hour away (if they had even been in town over holiday), then would have had to drive to get key and back. Which would have taken up mostly one whole day. Thank you Vicki for saving us a day.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Port Richey FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

Multiple family members used to spend a week every summer at a 'mini'reunion' here. Our last visit in Aug 09 will be our last. The place has not only gone downhill from a maintenance standpoint, the staff are rude and inconsiderate. When I called and spoke with the manager about this and my being overcharged, I realized, it flows downhill - he was almost as bad. There were several of us overcharged and now I want to send them a bill for the toilet repair my husband had to do since there is no maintenance staff in the evening. Worst vacation experience ever. The only redeeming quality is the bartender at the tiki bar.

• Stayed August 2009
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MargiVT

Travellers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

The ONLY positive thing I can say about this place was that the beach access was WONDERFUL.

Unfortunately, the front desk staff was rude and not helpful. The rooms (especially the floors) were dirty. There was a cockroach in the restroom, the toilet didnt flush correctly and the sliding glass door to the balcony was impossible to close.

I am a Florida resident and only stayed for 2 nights. I would've been really really upset had I been stuck there for an entire week.

To top it off, they charged us the wrong room rate at the end of the stay and we were told that it couldnt be corrected until the next day. To his credit, the manager did take care of this for us the next day, but the front desk person told us that it was OUR fault they charged us the wrong rate and there was nothing he could do about it until we spoke to the manager.

I would never stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank pandorra
Oak Lawn, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

For the price ($100/nt.) my wife and I were not expecting much, but the Island Inn had everything we could want. It was a bit dated but the room was large, clean and nicely decorated. There was a full kitchen complete with stove, refrigerator, microwave, dishes, utensils, pots, etc. and access to the BBQ grills outside. The TV had a load of channels and there was even a DVD player. There was an in-room connection for free internet access. The staff was very friendly. Outside on your balcony were chairs and a table where you could chill out and watch the sunset over the ocean. The beach was literally five feet outside the door and was very uncrowded. Up and down Gulf Blvd. were restaurants, bars and shops. A very nice experience!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

The room was clean and very, very basic. Great for a low budget, cook your own meals ( in room kitchens and bar-b-que on the beach), wonderful beach vacation. Beach is wide, water is amazing, and you can walk for miles . If cooking is not your idea of a vacation, combine budget priced room with a 1/4 mile or so walk in either direction for great beach front dining -- breakfast through late night snacks. Beach trolley stops at door -- explore every beach from Clearwater to Pasa Grille without a car. If your main concern is a wonderful beach and plan on using the room to shower/sleep only.... this is a perefct place!!! Make sure to bring or rent a beach umbrella!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple