This was our second time staying at the Island Inn. Obviously not the classiest place in the area, but the beach is nice so you can over look what I would consider average rooms. Here's the scoop folks. First off let me say that I have stayed in motels hundreds of times and its always the same procedure. Check your photo ID and slide your credit card through. Not at the Island Inn apparently. When we checked in I was standing were I could not see into the little room next to the check in area, but my wife could. When I handed her my credit card and drivers license she walk into that side room. I took it for granted that she ran my card and then came back to give me back my credit card and license. My wife was standing were she could see in that area and watched this girl run a photo copy of my credit card and drivers license. I think anyone that has ever checked in to a motel knows that the credit card is swiped in the machine and only the last four numbers show up on the receipt and then your photo ID is looked at and handed back to you, not copied. I have some knowledge of identity theft scams and I'll tell you that running a photo copy of your ID and credit card is the number one scam. You may find this very interesting. After this all happened we asked if they had lawn chairs in the room and we were told they didn't, but we could rent them. We told the girl we would needed two chairs. She ended up having to leave the front desk to get our chairs, so I thought I'd run a little test on these people and check to see for what possible purpose they could possibly have for running the photo copies of my info. Like I said my wife seen her run the copy and when she left to get our chairs my wife told me the copy was on the other side of the counter under the normal check in paperwork. So when the girl walked away I reached over the counter and took the photo copy and put it in my pocket. When the girl came back with our chairs, we left to go to our room. OK lets think about this for a minute. We are checked in and in our room, plus they have my cell phone number and license plate number. As soon as this girl would have picked up the normal paper work that was covering the photo copy she would have had to realize that it was missing. Does anyone else think that if this was a document that they truly needed for room rental that they would have came to our room or called me on my cell phone to let me know that they needed this. We heard nothing and when we checked out the next morning I was handed a receipt and we went on our way. I honestly believe that thanks to my wife's heads up we may have been saved a lot of problems. I'm going to contact the manager, but I'm fully expecting to be blown off. When we left Island Inn that day we wrote down the names of other places in the area so I'm sure we will be trying something new next year. By the way I totally agree with a previous writer about the Tiki bar. It's really nice and Rick is a great guy and his prices are very fair.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Island Inn Beach Resort, located on the beautiful Gulf Beaches of Tampa Bay is a tropical paradise where you can relax as you watch sailboats gliding across emerald green waters and wind surfers being chased by a warm, tropical island breeze. Lounge by the pool with an ice cold drink from our tiki bar or enjoy a walk on our World Famous Treasure Island Beach! The Island Inn Beach Resort offers something for everyone with a colorful mix of relaxation, fun and recreation, along with a friendly, courteous staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Agoda so you can book your Island Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Island Hotel Treasure Island
- Island Inn Treasure Island, Florida