“Wine Winner”

Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you're a wine lover, Back Eddy Bistro is for you. I saw an excellent chardonnay on the list for $62 which had cost me $90 two nights earlier at a more renown restaurant farther up the coast. I chose a wonderful Silverado Pinot Grigio for the four of us for something like $36--also a real bargain. The appetizers and entrees are generous in size--my beet salad was quite large and very good. Back Eddy is on a side street one block away from Venice Avenue in the charming Old Town section not far from the beach. It was an easy walk to the Venice playhouse that night. Parking was easy, too. Service was attentive and first-rate. Back Eddy is a bistro where you can leave with a smile on your face and change in your pocket. What more can one ask?

2  Thank oaktownboy_37

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just experienced another Back Eddy wine tasting & culinary treat offered during Venice's "off peak season." Truly one of the many delights of being here during the summer/fall months. I can't say enough about the qualilty, careful pairing of wines with an inventive and delicious 5 course dinner at a resonable price.

The coordinated event is pulled off by the combined talents of the owners/chef, staff and winery distributor representative all while maintaining a fun atmosphere. How they manage to deliver this on two Wednesdays each month is a remarkable feat. I'm almost afraid to rave too much about it or I may find myself on a waitlist someday.

3  Thank lldinc
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We love the New Light Dinner menu that Back Eddy just started. Perfect for summer In Florida! We've been going to Back Eddy since it opened. Food is always excellent and fresh. Often I get two appetizers or appetizer and salad when I don't feel like a big meal. This summer they introduced a Light Dinner menu with smaller portion entrees and very affordable prices. My husband had the Pork Medalions and I had the Lemon Crusted Cod. Both outstanding and just enough on a hot summer night. (Comes with sides and fresh baked bread). Also, it's not publicized but if you sit at the bar at dinner time you can order their fabulous black angus burger with or without bleu cheese dressing. There are many vegetarian options as well. They also have two semi private dining areas in the back that can accomodate small groups if you're dining with a bunch of friends or having a party or meeting.

2  Thank Sue L
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We arrived for lunch and were told we could sit anywhere. We opted to sit in the back room because the front area was apparently having a business lunch. When we walked in they were finishing their meal, and we decided it would quieter. We were seated immediately and soon were brought water and the waiter took our order. We waited well over 30 minutes to receive our lunch. When it did arrive it was barely warm. The fries were limp and not hot. The reuben sandwich had unusually thick slices of meat and with the coleslaw dripping it had to be eaten with a knife and fork. My meal was also very disappointing. When we were finished eating, instead of removing our plates the waiter was busy setting the tables in the front room, even though they walked by our table several times.
Unfortunately, this was a disappointing lunch and we have been looking forward to visiting this restaurant but we will probably not be back.

2  Thank sad222014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

ordered cornbeef rebuen. bread was brunt & burnt, meat cold and though to eat, cheese was not melted and one thin slice. pile coleslaw on top of cornbeef. Figure that one out boys & girls; then they started to drag tables around while eating. sounded as if you were scratching your nails on a blackboard over and over and over again. I had to finally say something. Will not go back.

3  Thank Susan H