“Neat informal hideaway place tucked back in the woods on the Myakka River”
Review of Snook Haven

Snook Haven
Ranked #22 of 244 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: This Old Florida location offers scenic views of Florida's river wildlife and tree lines. Seated right on the Myakka River in a county park, Snook Haven is an old fish camp with a menu featuring a variety of smoked and barbequed meats. Indoor and Outdoor seating is available. Snook Haven offers a variety of entertainment from canoes, kayaks and river tours to live music for your ears pleasure.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Neat informal hideaway place tucked back in the woods on the Myakka River”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I went there for dinner with my cousin. Neither he nor I were there before but we went because a friend of his recommended the place. Well, getting there was interesting....driving down a well maintained dirt road into the woods. Fortunately, it was very well marked and we had no problems getting there. This is a place that is about as informal as a place can possibly get. They had ample seating both inside and out -- with some nice views of the river.

I had the two item main dish and ordered BBQ brisket and BBQ turkey. Both were nice portions and were the "smoked barbecue" variety. In "Texas" vernacular, the brisket was the wet variety -- tender and juicy. If you wanted "dry" brisket, I guess you would be out of luck, but it didn't matter to me because I prefer my brisket wet. They also had a choice of four different barbecue sauces on the table. My sides were the mac & cheese and corn on the cob. The mac & cheese was only average, but the corn on the cob was great -- nice small and tender kernels and not overcooked. The barbecue was a far cry from the Texas variety, like what you would find at Black's in Lockhart, The Green Mesquite in Austin, or Louie Mueller in Taylor, (and I have enjoyed eating at all three) but that doesn't matter here -- because this is NOT Texas. For Florida, it was good!! I should point out that they also have great Southern cooking, fish, burgers, etc., so there is something there for everyone.

The whole meal was quite good -- and the service was five star. The order was out of the kitchen and on the table in a flash. And, our server, Alana, couldn't have been more helpful or attentive if she tried. We arrived @ around 5 pm and had the place to ourselves. After awhile, the people started arriving and the place started to get busy.

But, the answer to the critical question is: Yes. we will be returning there again. For sure!

1 Thank Jim H

Sarasota, FL
“Loved the atmosphere and food”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a great lunch! The gator bites, hot dog, fried catfish, and black bean salad our group had were all delicious. Our server was friendly and efficient, and we enjoyed the live entertainment. We sat inside due to the heat, and it was very comfortable. We then went outside and took pictures on the river, which was a perfect backdrop setting for some family memories.

Venice, Florida
“A Piece of Old Florida Serving Fantastic BBQ Fare”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Snook Haven is one of our favorite Venice restaurants. With great bbq, picturesque location, family friendly envrionment, and friendly staff-- Snook Haven is one of the first places we think of when we want eat out. The fried pickles, ocra, and green tomatoes are the best! The bbq is very good with something for everyone -- turkey, brisket, ribs, salmon, and (my favorite) sausage stuffed pork tenderloin. The sides are perfect accompaniments to the bbq -- especially the greens and bbq beans. If you like Key Lime Pie, try theirs and you will leave stuffed and happy.

While they have inside seating, try to get a table along the Myakka River and you will be treated by a seat in place that time forgot. It truly is Old Florida at its finest.

Enjoy!
Enjoy!!

• Visited June 2014
newcastle upon tyne
“Great Southern food”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Really nice place to eat. lovely location, right by the Myakka river, always a good atmosphere & great staff. The food is great too. I loved the catfish & what tops it for me are their sauces. I love them all but the spicey whiskey is something else. Always enjoy coming here.

Flagstaff, Arizona
“So-so”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The good: great location...right on the Myaka River. Terrific staff, especially our waitress....so upbeat. Good coleslaw. Good BBQ sauces. Fun live music. The bad: food was only average and the meats were dry. Bathrooms were extremely tiny. For the men, you'd have to be best buds to go in together and then only if you liked rubbing shoulders while you stand up and do your business. Outside dining was a great view but no fans at all. 91 degrees and no fans! Inside was not much better. A/C seemed to be non-existent. The banjo/accordion musicians, although decent, seemed to be on speed. Every tune was twice as fast as normal. I think we'll pass next time. Disappointing.

• Visited June 2014
JPiKapp, Owner at Snook Haven, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
The county recently opened new restrooms that are in a separate building just next to the restaurant. I can't disagree that hot is hot and the humidity over the past week has made it feel over 100 degrees most days. With the constant in and out through the doors the AC does have trouble keeping up some days. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you swing by on your next trip through!