“Yummy Italian!”

DeFina's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 243 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
, Georgia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy Italian!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Best filet ever! The egg plant parm was cooked to perfection. Beautiful romantic atmosphere! We enjoyed our dinner very much! Excellent service!

• Visited October 2013

Largo, Florida
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Veal Parmesan was very tender and tasty and worth getting again. The special of Tortellini Bolognese came with tri-colored pasta and a tasty meat sauce with great flavor. The salads that came with dinner were very good. We would definitely return on our next trip to Venice, Florida.

• Visited September 2013
Etobicoke, Canada
“A nice discovery”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant on Sat. night. It seems many others did as well. The restaurant was packed which was also not expected by the owners. Short-staffed, they still managed to provide good and cheerful service although we could see how hard they were working. We did have to wait a little long for our main course, the staff explained and were attentive so all was well.

We both agreed that the salad dressings were the best we had tasted in a long time. We also tried the Pasta e Fagioli which is more of soup then we are used to but it was excellent. We'd come back for those two items alone.

We tried the veal parmesan. Although the veal was thicker then we make at home, it was very tender. It was smothered in sauce then with the cheese on top. My advice would be to ask for the sauce on the side as it did overpower. My husband also needed to try the Spaghetti Puttanesca which was excellent.

Regarding the sauce, although we were told it was made in-house, it had a bottle taste and was a little sharp. I would suggest to the chef to use only fresh herbs instead of dry to enhance the tomotoes not dominate, go heavier on the basil to reduce the sharpness, and don't add sugar to overcome the edge. On the good side, we did not get any heartburn.

My Italian-born husband and I bottle our own sauce once a year using only San Marzano tomotoes at their prime with a sprig of fresh basil in each jar, so we tend to be fussy when it comes to sauce.

We will be back on our next visit to the area.

• Visited September 2013
“Needs some work”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Very friendly accomodating staff. Food however, left something to be desired. Everything we ate was bland. Its a cute place with nice people. I hope they step it up a bit. Maybe I just ordered the wrong food.

• Visited August 2013
Punta Gorda, Florida, United States
“Will return often!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had dinner at DeFina's for the first time last night and everything was just great. I had chicken picata, my sister had veal picata and my husband had veal parmesan. The serving of veal was very large, covering the whole plate. They both thought it was wonderful but personally, I thought the veal was a bit too thick. My chicken was tender, moist and had a fresh lemon flavor as it should. I had mine over pasta and it was perfect. It was my sister's birthday so we had a serving of the almond cake which was the best!
The waitstaff was excellent and very attentive. Each course was delivered as soon as we had finished the previous course, no waiting nor rushing thru the meal.
This is a quiet, intimate restaurant with pleasing decor that is a refreshing change from others such as Bonefish Grill which has great food but much too loud. I highly recommend trying this hidden gem.
When you see the outside, don't turn around and run away. The inside is like an oasis in the midst of a commercial area.

• Visited August 2013