“Rambler's "Wreck" is a better name” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramblers Rest RV Campground

Ramblers Rest RV Campground
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Rambler's "Wreck" is a better name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I wish I had read these reviews first!

I concur with the other 2 reviews. Once you get beyond the gate, it is not good at all. In a nutshell,

- they were closed when we arrived; for those who were late arrivals they posted a map on the door of the registration center. However, despite our confirmation, no preparations were made for us.

- the site assigned to us was TINY! We too looked out the window into the mobile home next to us. No way to avoid it. We have a 32 motorhome and pull a Jeep.

-We got a full hook up site but cable was not included and you had to call the local cable company to get a hook up

-Showers are nice but had only 2 stalls for this big and dense population. I was stuck behind two 14 yr olds who took over the entire facility and took forever. They need many more showers!!

- To do laundry, you have to purchase a card for $3 and then put money on the card to do laundry--rip-off.

- Can't use picnic table because is was so wobbly and unsafe; it was not a full size table, only suitable for 2 people but we didn't use it because it was so bad

- Even at peak season, better sites were available but they would not move us because we were PASSPORT AMERICA participants! The park was not booked and they could have made an exception. PA members are shuffled off to the worse offerings-- I understand business but they treat PA members as second class citizens!

-Roads are so narrow.

- No pass thru sites

- No garbage pick up at the site

- Website does not make amenities/offerings/costs clear. Policies page does not display because "URL is not available."

- There is more but I think I have shared enough for you to get the picture.

Complaining to the office did no good. We will never book here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank AnnBennis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Box Elder, South Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

No sign to say where to park your RV to register so when driving a big rig you block entrance. Office was closed during the day we arrived from 11 to 3 for training. Jan thru March is when we stayed during peak season. Someone did finally come out to give us a map and site number. Of course we have never been there so we had to figure it out on our own. Roads are VERY NARROW. We got to our site and the one they gave us for a 39 foot RV was hard to back in to so with office closed we parked in the next one. Electric did not work and water was shut off. My husband is an union electrician so he fixed the electric. Went and told office when they opened and they did give us some free tickets to a show in park. It got cold a couple of times and we paid for 50 amp but our electric kept tripping several times a day for about a week. Thank goodness for surge protectors. Then they had us leaving on a date earlier and came and confronted us in front of our RV and with spaces so close everyone could here. They did give us that night free but called us later and said we had to pay for electric and nothing was in our paper work that we had to. Pool area was nice. They also nickel and dime you to death. 25.00 dollars for a post office box non refundable to get your mail. 3.00 for laundry card. 71.00 for cable TV. And 10.00 a month for internet. It also rained a couple of times and the park roads flooded and some sites. Dumpster didn't work half the time we were there so had a make shift dumpster that over flowed and trash on ground.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank JackandMarcia
Oakdale, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Subject: Ramblers Rest RV Campground
Location: Venice, Florida, United States, North America
Title: A revolting development
ID#: 196426368

I drive a 40' motorhome and tow a small trailer for my motorcycle. I asked for a pull thru lot for a week."We don't have them" was the reply was the reservation's operator reply. I subsequently found they had several, but that is another story. We reserved a place on line and checked in mid day for a week. Payment was in advance via credit card. Problems arose right away, even as we arrived No road sign in advance on River Road. Property is not well marked until you are almost upon it. (No street light at approach from River Road to entrance. Night arrival is scary.) No sign designating the registration office. I guessed correctly on the first try.
No one escorted me to my site. No one offered to allow me to explore the assigned site or other possibilities. The roads within the park are one vehicle wide. Driving an 8' wide vehicle that is very heavy with a wide turning radius in these narrow streets lined with trees and palms was challenging.

I got to my assigned site (C-58) and got parked by dropping my trailer on the street, and backing in to the space and then pushing my trailer into the space in front of my coach. I noted only a 30 amp connection even though I specifically asked for a 50 amp service. It was only then, after I had been hooked up to water and sewer and electrical that the wind shifted and I discovered what the facility was across the street.

It was the sewage treatment facility!!!

Since there were campers in close proximity to me, I thought "How bad can it be?" "If they can take it, so can I" Then the sewage sucker trucks started to arrive. Huge sewage haul trucks sucked sewage from the facility day and night for the next 3 days making incredible noise, stench, and dust. After the truck parade din started one morning at 0645 I complained to the office in person. I got a polite apology for the conditions from the lady behind the desk who added I was welcome to find another spot for my coach. No offer to find a spot for me; no offer to refund my payment, no explanation of why it was necessary to subject the guests to this awful mess.
No other short term campers are anywhere near me now. They have moved out over the past few days.
I suggest that until this facility gets its act together, transient or short term campers find other accommodations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank MrSafetyToo
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

It's old, and is in the process of "renovation". By renovation it means the public area that you can see from the road has been updated. Lots of money has been spent on the pool area and common areas by the road to lure people in.

Once you drive beyond the gate everything changes. Most of what you will find here are old single wide mobile homes, with a few new park models thrown in. There are few bathrooms for the 650 sites in this "resort". Roads are muddy and full of potholes. Residents are mostly elderly seasonal people and give the impression they don't appreciate weekend campers at all.

Campsites were few and far between, and what they have are small! Our site was so tiny that we were unable to open our awning on on little 18' travel trailer. We were wedged in between 2 mobile homes and with all windows open were able to tell what each resident was watching on TV. We rented sight unseen, or we would never have gone. The prices are extremely high for what you get. Stay away!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family