“Small, Dirty, Smelly”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Venice
Lexington, KY
“Small, Dirty, Smelly”
Reviewed 3 February 2005

Well it is official. I have now actually stayed at a "Roach Motel" This hotel is the most disgusting place I have ever been in. This is the stereotypical hotel in the Vacation from H--- movies. Like the previous reviewer, I feel the cancellation policy is unfair. I will NEVER check into a hotel, motel etc. without first seeing my room. I think Chevy Chase could make a "Vacation" movie at this place.
When you first pull up you're surprised at how small the hotel is. It doesn't look that small on the web page! There are lots of plants still in containers, dying, but not planted. What's that about? The pool is heated to 80 degrees. FYI, that's not very warm. Very small, 4' to 4.5' deep and maybe 15'-18' long. Old plastic chairs and rusty chain link fence around it. It doesn't look like the web page pictures either.
After you register and go towards your room, you see you can't park anywhere near your room. Then you put the key in the lock. The knob is so loose you feel you could just push it open. Then the smell from the room hits you.
Imagine... smelly kid's socks, old take out food, and moldy bathroom smells closed up for a week, and you are the first one to open the door. (Got it. OK breathe.) After your vision clears from smell you take 2 steps and Walla! you're in the middle of the room. Room size 12' x 15' MAX. I still can't figure out where they could possibly have been standing when they took the pictures for the webpage. The beds are separated by a small rickety table that holds a lamp with a bent yellowing lamp shade and an envelope inviting you to tip your maid. There is one?? There are 3 closed doors on one wall. I had to move the only chair in the room to open the first door. It was a closet, same smell, dead bugs and dust on the floor. Door # 2 locked. Door # 3 OMG, it's the bathroom. This room is 5' x 5' maybe. To close the door you have to stand in the middle of the room. The only mirror in the room is cloudy with an oily film on it. The walls are dirty, hairs (different colors and textures) stuck to most surfaces (toilet, sink, walls), dusty exposed pipes all around the room. I opened the medicine cabinet, more dead bugs and more dirt and only one of the hinges are securely connected. There is only a stand up shower with a white mildewed curtain. I don't know how that was, I didn't even turn it on, the handles seemed too saop scum covered to touch. The floor of the shower was colorful with several different shades of mildew. At first I was upset there wasn't a bathtub but I wouldn't have let my child set in it if there had been. The thin white mini blinds (no curtains) that grace each window could never have been cleaned.
Now, the air conditioning. It's a window unit mounted in the wall. Nice rusty leak lines down the white stucco walls. The dial doesn't line up to the settings. So just turn & guess, the best I could figure, the louder the HUM the more air came out, but no change in the temperature. On "HIGH" (loudest hum) you have to turn the TV up to max to be able hear it. Oh yeah and the room also features a lovely fridge. Same maid "cleaned" this same as the other surfaces. No bugs, but nasty smell, I think the maid used the same rag for the whole room. They A/C, Fridge, & TV are all plugged into the same 6' white extension cord and are arranged one on top of the other in one corner. I'm sure that's up to code! So, we open the window, well, one window the other one we couldn't get open, to air it out. Then we took our child to Granny's to stay. We bought some OUST and came back. Since it was late we decided we would stay one night and leave in the morning. We took out only what we needed to sleep in and got ready for bed. The sheets did look clean and after 1/2 can of OUST the air was breathable. So I took off my shoes and almost fell on the floor. There was a film of oil on the tile that was very slippery. So I left my tennis shoes on until I was in the bed. I set down on the bed and a ROACH, 3 inches long ran out from under the bed right by my feet, I screamed. I got a flash light and looked under the beds. I stayed on the bed. You wouldn't believe all the garbage under the bed, old dead bug carcasses, dustbunnies, hamburger wrappers, raisins, tops to food containers. Looks like a tenagers camp room. Needless to say we stayed awake and watched TV until the office opened again. Then we got the scam line from the office about the policy etc. I told him I would protest this and asked him how many bugs did there have to be to get a refund. He said it wouldn't matter because of the policy. I told him to check Trip Advisor in the next week. So I went back to the room packed all our stuff.
Then...I put on the plastic gloves, and I got a washcloth with OUST and made a clean swipe on each mini blind and the mirror. I cleaned a small circle on the walls and in the colorful mildew on the shower curtain and the floor of the shower. Then I took pictures. Sorry, they're on 35mm or I would have shared with you. I took samples of the hair, mildew and oily substances and put them in plastic baggies. (CSI influence) I have contacted my credit card company to not pay the charge, but we will see with the policy. I think I will send a copy of the pictures to the Board of Health and the Electrical inspectors for Sarsota County.
So DO NOT go to this hotel. If you have made reservations and it is 14 days prior to your check in date, take the 1 day loss. You will thank me later.

17 Thank Traveling-woman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
mt dora
Reviewed 12 September 2004

While the Island Breeze Inn indcates that they are close to everything, they are not. You would have to do marathons to walk to the beach. The only breeze that you are going to get at this 50's roadside motel is from cars going by on a major road.
That is not the worst of this motel. They have a very non-standard cancellation policy that is not clear before booking. If you cancel less than 14 days before your trip, they charge you for the full vacation, not just 1 or 2 days. I was told by the manager that this is something that is charged exclusively to internet bookings. People sometimes have to cancel for various reasons, management says too bad. The worst thing is that if you get there and see exactly what this motel looks like , you can't cancel. Once you discover that even the interior walls are stucco, you're stuck!

17 Thank coratravel

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
Island Sun Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Bayside Venice
A Beach Retreat
A Beach Retreat
#2 of 12 in Nokomis

Been to Island Breeze Inn? Share your experiences!