“The best choice for visiting "the shark tooth capital" on a budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota

Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Venice
Saint Augustine, Florida
“The best choice for visiting "the shark tooth capital" on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My new husband and I stopped here for one night as part of our honeymoon experience, to go to Venice for the shark tooth beach there. This hotel is great because it's right off I-75, but only 7 miles and 3 easy roads from that beach. Of all the other choices, it was the most affordable but also more comfortable sounding than some of the ones closer to the beach. The beds are comfortable, this hotel offers both soft and firm pillows. The room was clean, came with a fridge and microwave. The TV worked well. Staff was friendly and even tried to help me find medicine for my husband when he got a stomach ache. Great hot breakfast too. This was the next day and had nothing to do with my husband's tummy ache the night before, lol.

Here were the problems we had:
-The Wifi doesn't work. They said they are "on satellite and it happens whenever there are storms nearby" which there were. Luckily, I'm a vacationer with an iPhone. But I'm sure this is bad for business people. Even the lobby computer doesn't connect.
-The A/C unit catches the light sheer curtains and its airflow gets caught up in them, causing them to billow and the air to be obstructed. This can be remedied with a hair clip. I noticed the ones in the hallway do it too.
-Our room didn't have the thick opaque curtains that close behind the sheer ones, and they gave us the room by the pool deck where the bright light shines all night outside the window. So the room was a little brighter than I would have liked. I think they should get some thicker curtains since the outside light is probably a safety feature.

Room Tip: You might want to opt for a room that's not by the pool since that light outside comes in all ni...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bridget A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
We always like to have feedback from our guests so that we know what areas need improvement. Thank you for providing us with exactly that. We will be sure to fix our Wifi issues. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

First I spent the last 4 nights here and no wi-fi except for about 15 precious minutes. Front desk couldn't help. Today I went to their work station to print my boarding passes. No internet connection there either. For that I take away a star.

I own my own business but never would I do anything that would make a customer feel uncomfortable by forcing them to endure something against the customers sacred belief. Unfortunately they don't share my philosophy. I will take away a star for that and another one because after complaining they did nothing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad4221x
I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you occurred during your stay with us.
Florida, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for over a month now. My husband and I traveled to Venice about 5 weeks ago to visit his father who had just moved into an independent living facility. He had moved down from OH so this was a big move and we were eager to get over there (we live in Jax) and make sure he was settled in. We didn't have a hotel reservation and just thought we'd get a room when we got there. Upon exiting 75 we stopped at the first place we saw, the Holiday Inn Express. My husband went in to check on a room while I waited in the car checking out other places online. He was gone about 10 minutes and came back to tell me it was going to be really hard to get a room this weekend. There were several huge events taking place in Venice and Sarasota and the woman at the desk told him every hotel between Sarasota and Port Charlotte was booked for the weekend. She did have 1 room left though for that night, a TH, but we'd have to check out in the morning and go find another place for a couple more nights. We sat in the car debating what to do. We must've been discussing it for about 10 minutes, then decided to go ahead and take it for the one night; we'd figure out something else in the morning. As we were getting out of our car to go back in we saw the woman from the desk walking over to our car. She told us that she had made a call for us and was able to get us a room at The Fairfield Inn and Suites for the entire weekend....but we had to go right now as they were holding it for us. Needless to say, we were extremely grateful. She clearly went above and beyond her call of duty. Having been in the customer service field for many years, I'm always reminded of something I heard back in a seminar many years ago. That one day all the "products" will look the same. The only thing separating yours from theirs will be the customer service. How true that is. Thank you Holiday Inn Express.We'll be staying with you on our next trip to Venice. :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry we could not accommodate you when you visited Venice, Hopefully next time you visit we will be able to provide you with our guest services and accommodations.
Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

just came back from 2 nights in holiday inn venice,florida and hotel was great. Very clean and new. welcomed my small dog. front desk service was very accomodating and friendly. my time of entry was scheduled for 3 pm and front desk moved my reservation around to get me checked in to my room before 3 pm. Room was comfortable with 2 double beds. Location is excellent just off the exit from I-75. Would recommend to any traveler seeking clean, comfortable and friendly front desk staff.

Room Tip: if you have any dogs select 2nd floor as is convenient to take them down one flight of stairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bridget A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Venice/Sarasota, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Jose P,

Our staff are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provided great service that will make you want to keep coming back. Our entire staff look forward to seeing you in the future.
Merrimack, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Everyone in this hotel was helpful and genuinely friendly during our 8 night stay. If you're looking for a "Pet Friendly" hotel this one really is dog friendly. Our Labrador was welcomed like a guest and even hung out with the front desk staff at one point. The breakfast has the quality and variety to keep you coming back. Shirley we got to know but both women in the kitchen were eager to keep first rate hot food coming for the hungry guests. The manager is Bridget. Her people are comfortable working with her and they take the same guest friendly approach she does. My wife and I will be staying there and only there while in the Venice area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark P,

Its great to know that you and your family had a great stay with us. We are all pet owners and feel out four legged friends are a part of our family, as a guest in our hotel your furry friend is treated just as well as you are. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I cannot express how much we enjoyed our stay. Christine front desk was amazing she went above n beyond to help us and made our stay enjoyable. We wld come back just becuz of her. You are so lucky to have such an amazing employee excellent guest service and an awesome personality. Thank you so much Christine. Penny and Brett Formsma battle creek Michigan

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Penny and Brett,
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Christine is fun and has been praised for the great job she is doing with our guests.
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a soccer group that were there for a tournament. Reservation - easy.
Check-in fast and friendly.
Cleanliness - good.
Noise - excellent (really surprising considering we had the room next to the elevator - I was expecting this to be an issue).

All the Staff were super helpful and considerate. Our soccer game was brought forward to 8am so we had a 7am departure. The staff kindly co-ordinated and opened breakfast early - by 30 minutes! That is SERVICE! Shirley was even apologetic that she couldn't get things out fast enough.

I would highly recommend this hotel. 12 minutes to Venice Beach. Close to many amenities. Sharky's was a good place for lunch!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased that you had a great stay with us as did many in your group. We always try to provide our guest with amenities they need, and we would say the kids needed their breakfast before they went to play soccer. We look forward to your next stay.