“Black Mold in March!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brighton, Missouri, United States
“Black Mold in March!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Before I get started, I want to say that the location was great for what we needed. As we were getting checked in... There was a comment by the front desk employee, "I see you booked through Priceline". Even though we had a $50 voucher from Priceline for booking a cruise through them, we felt as though we weren't good enough to stay with them. We were given a room that was right off of the elevator, on the second floor. A great location, but the elevator was extremely slow. As we opened the room door, my wife and I were hit with a strong stench. We pretty much knew it was some sort of mold or mildew. We let it go right of way, because we've stayed in other hotels in Florida that have had the same type of stench. Only looking back at those hotels, we've encountered them either in late summer or early fall. We noticed as we were getting ready to go to bed, that the floor was extremely dirty. We could physically see how dirty it was, along with different colors of long female hair from different people. Like it hadn't been vacuumed anytime in the recent past. So much so, that both of us used our flip flops as soon as we got out of the shower in the morning (like you would in a public shower at a campground). As we were getting into bed, we noticed there were several black specs along the crown molding on the ceiling. I stood up on the bed to get a closer look. Sure enough, it was black mold. We found the issue of the smell! The next morning we both took showers, and the shower curtain was filthy. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The room itself was fairly big compared to a regular guest room. They claim they cater to business travelers, but there wasn't a single garbage can anywhere in the room on the side where the so-called desk was. One good thing... When we were checking out, I mentioned the black mold on the crown molding to the front desk. Both employees acted like they knew nothing about it, and would let someone know about it right away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tim L
ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. We are continually trying to make customers experience a pleasant one. Our comments about Priceline are not to make anyone feel bad, they are to let you know that we know that you have prepaid. We did check the room you were in immediately after checkout. I will admit that the Florida humidity was in the room and we put a dehumidifier in to take that out. We however did not find mold. I'm not going to say that it can't happen but in this case it did not. We will always try to address customers complaints immediately when told about them. When we don't know until checkout, it's too late to help. We are using your experience as training to help make sure that each customers issues are addressed as soon as possible. We have initiated a call to the room process after checkin and a precheck of rooms by the front desk before checkin. Sincerely Jan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is very new-feeling, well located right off of the highway.. I found it to be clean and quiet, and I enjoy being able to stay right in the hotel for free breakfast and then be able to head back to my room prior to checking out. The one negative was a couple of spots on the carpet-I am not a fan of carpet and never walk barefoot on hotel carpet no matter how many stars. But the room was clean, quiet, well-priced and the staff was friendly and helpful. I have no complaints, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for coming to our property. When you return next time you can ask for a laminate room with no carpet. We couldn't agree more about the carpets so upon replacement we are putting in laminate. People find them to be a much better choice. I hope we get to see you again
Reviewed 23 April 2014

First time at a Best Western. Usually stay at Hampton Inn but I found out that Florida is really busy in March. Searched thru tripadvisor and thought this looked good. We booked a standard queen with laminate floors at a reasonable price. We were a little early and our room wasn't ready. Kyle, on duty at the desk, provided an update to a suite without being asked to do so. This was greatly appreciated, especially since we had never used a Best Western.

The room was very clean and new. Laminate floors make a BIG difference. Breakfast was very good. Service great. McDonalds close to the hotel for unnecessary late night stacks. Also offers use of two internet computers with printers for last minute searches.

Very satisfied. Thanks to Kyle. Will definitely use Best Western again.

• Stayed March 2014
ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for giving Best Western a try. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you get to use us again.
St. Augustine, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel room was very clean. Nicely decorated and spacious. The breakfast bar had a good selection of hot food, waffles and fruit. Good coffee. The staff was all friendly and helpful. The hotel is a block off I-75 convenient but not a pretty location. I would stay in the hotel again.

1 Thank Rorey G
ManagerVeniceFl, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ambassador Suites Venice, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your comments. I hope you will get to come back to see us soon
Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a large comfortable room overlooking the pool & car park. The room had a separate lounge area & small kitchenette with microwave, fridge & coffee maker The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a large vanity area & a shower over the bath.

The staff were all genuinely friendly & helpful. A complimentary breakfast was included.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
So glad you liked it here. I hope you can stay longer next time.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel is located directly off ramp 193 on I-75 and really it can’t be missed. This hotel is ideally situated for Venice, beaches and the surrounding towns of the area and the closeness to I-75 makes it perfect for quick access for north and south bound travel.
Checking in was a breeze and the reception staff were just great. Our room, a King Suite, was spacious, well equipped and very clean. The bed was large and comfortable and everything we’d expect from a Best Western hotel. The bathroom too was a good size and fitted out in a typical manner with everything you’d need of a hotel. A full breakfast selection is available from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. in the lobby area with items such as cereals, breads, toast, waffles, bacon, sausage, eggs, fruits, cakes, fresh coffee and tea etc. and all quality produce. Coffee is also available in the lobby throughout the day. Parking is plentiful around the hotel, as you would expect. The only down side during our visit was the in room Wi-Fi which we didn’t seem able to get… but that was not a problem as all public areas of the hotel have Wi-Fi so connection was available for our free use in these places. Checking out was as easy and efficient as checking in had been and throughout our stay all members of staff were great.
Bottom line… would we go back and would we recommend this hotel… Yes we would and yes we do.

Room Tip: Always keep away from elevators and ice machines if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I'm so glad you enjoyed our facility. If we made you comfortable and welcomed we did our jobs. I do have to say that as of 4/17/14 our wireless has been powered up by comcast. We have been working on the conversion for about 6 weeks and can finally say it's done. I hope the next time you come you will see the difference. Hope to see you soon
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 12 April 2014

On a quick trip with my 81 year old father. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much. Room and area was quiet and staff was very attentive. I would recommend staying at this hotel and would return again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with your dad. Our large rooms give that extra space to unwind. Our staff genuinely enjoy working here so I'm glad they were attentive.