“Very Welcoming”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany
“Very Welcoming”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

First timers at this hotel, and were greeted with my name in a frame I was the customer of the day! I asked if I get a free night, they laughed. Anyway, we had a Queen suite very nice and comfortable, Our room had chocolate waiting for us when we arrived. I thought that was special. Pool was heated which was great for the kids after a long car ride. Breakfast was very good and staff worked hard to keep everyone happy. They even let me take a breakfast up to my daughter who wanted to sleep in. The front desk offers pool towels so you dont have to use your room towels and better than that if you are going to go shark teeth hunting on Venice Beach you may want to stop at the front desk we just happen too and they let us borrow a special shovel just for that purpose. Oh one more great thing, they bake fresh chocolate chip cookies and they are served at 6 p.m. it smelled great. They go fast, and we were never there in time. I cant forget this one, who doesn't like a nice pick me up in the afternoon? Fresh coffee in the lobby, I smelled it in the elevator and was greeted happily by Wuanita who was brewing another batch. Well if you dont get a chance to stay here, hope where ever you stay is as good as mine was.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
BATAVIA
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Deborah Petty was a delight, and the motel was spotless. The rest of the staff was very nice. Great price. Thanks, Ray and Eileen Crousore

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
krista56
Reviewed 3 November 2008

Breakfast was included but was not tasty. Everything was clean, front desk clerk seemed to be constantly frustrated. Blow dryers are out dated and take a long time to dry hair. Did not see many other affordable options in Venice. Close to the free way, gas station and convenient mart located near the hotel... The pool area was average as well.

Stayed October 2008
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2008

100% Smoke Free hotel, and they do have assigned areas outside the building for smokers. Very clean, comfortable, big rooms. Excellent full hot breakfast, perfect for those business trips. I've been there 4 times already, and will continue to stay there. Staff is very friendly and attentive. Very close to I-75, downtown, restaurants and beaches.

• Liked — Full hot breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 1 August 2008

We paid just under $60/night incl. taxes by bidding through Priceline. Since Priceline bidding is "blind", we were taking a gamble- and won! This property was clean, modern, and convenient. We found both the day and night staff to be friendly and accessible. You won't be walking to the beach, but the highway and major roads are adjacent and make for a quick car ride to any popular destination. During our trip we stayed here twice- that is we stayed, checked-out for a side trip, and returned a couple of days later to stay again. So, we had two different rooms during our trip. Both rooms were on the first floor and were of the same layout. Both were clean, but the first had slightly better furnishings. We were informed that the hotel was currently being updated. The most noticible attribute when you walk in to your room is the size- it's HUGE! I'd say about 25'x12'- quite large for a non-suite! There is a large sitting area with a loveseat, small eating table and two chairs, and a microwave/fridge/cabinet/coffeemaker/bar sink with lots of floor space left over for kids to play. Beyond this area are the beds (we had two queens), television in armoire, and desk with chair (free wireless!).
The bathroom was clean and I appreciated the hotel's conservation efforts in NOT providing little shampoo etc. bottles. There are shampoo/conditioner and soap dispensers in the shower and soap and lotion dispensers next to the bathroom sink.
Our second room was accross from the guest laundry room, but from inside our room I couldn't hear the machines (though we're rather heavy sleepers).
There was no "view"... just the grassy area between the hotel and the highway (and the highway itself), but we really weren't looking for a hotel with a view so much as a comfortable place to sleep. We found the beds and pillows to be very comfortable.
The breakfast was quite good and I always appreciate a free hot breakfast as both a time and money-saver. They had the sort of fare you'd expect: eggs, sausages, make-your-own waffles, oatmeal, mini muffins, juice, cold cereal & milk, whole fruit, coffee & tea.
I don't really understand the very negative review I read here- I nearly feel that they've reviewed the wrong hotel! We had an excellent stay and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
new yrok
Reviewed 17 June 2008

First of all, in my opinion, this is a very nice hotel. It is very close to the beaches, Sharky's/Venice Pier, and easy access from the main highway.

I don't understand some of the reviews posted here. Everyone that works at this location has always been very professional, and caring. As we leave and enter the building, we have always received a hello or goodbye. I have booked both on the website and with the front desk. When I book with the website, I always call the property directly to make sure it is in their system. I do this with all the chain hotels (Holiday Inn, etc).

The employees have always been very courteous and helpful when I call a million times about my reservation or with my date changes! We have been staying here every year, for three to four nights per visit, since they opened.

To me personally, the front desk girls are always helpful. Also, there is a gentlemen Kyle, who has been there for years, and is always there to speak to you if there are any problems. Any problems we had over the years was handled immediately, and to our satisfaction.

In my opinion, the hotel is above average, in all aspects, for this class of hotel. Yes, the pool is very small, but on all our trips it was very clean and enjoyable. Also, people complained on this site about the lack of items at the continental breakfast. This continental breakfast is at no charge to you, and is provided as a courtesy. They have ceareal, milk, juices, fresh waffles, etc. If you are looking for a "large" breakfast there are places very close you can go to. In my opinion, the continental breakfast is similar to all the other chain hotels we have visited.

If you are looking for a hotel like a Four Seasons, or Ritz Carlton, this is not for you, but then again, this is Venice, and I do not know if there are any five star hotels in the immediate Venice area - personally, I do not know of one.

I will not say that over the years there haven't been problems, but like I said before, they were always handled immediately, and to our satisfaction. Again, in my opinion, we have traveled many places and stayed at Ritz Carlton's, Marriotts', Bellagio's, etc., and I can say that problems can arise anywhere.

I will not hesitate to go back there next year for our annual trip to Venice.

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — a/c a little noisey
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
chachka1234
Reviewed 9 June 2008

My husband, newborn, and myself were staying in Sarasota and decided to travel down to Venice. BAD IDEA at first. We stopped off the highway and stayed here for one night. First off, we paid way too much for the service or lack there of I should say. The outside looks fairly new, so I wasn't too worried until we checked in. The front desk clerk was extrememly rude, and impatient. I used my ID for the room, and my husband used his credit card, and because my name wasn't on the card they made a huge ordeal about him needing his ID. So, carrying all of our luggage and a newborn he had to leave our stuff and run back out to the car to get it. The front desk clerk gave us our paperwork and keys after reading off a list of "orders". When we got to the room, the smell was horrible. We had asked for a nonsmoking room, and someone definately smoked in there. The air cond was extremely noisy, and kept turning off and on througout the whole night. The toilet had something floating in it, shower had mildew under soap holder, and one of our the white towels had what looked like dried crusted cheese on it. After walking around the room in my socks I was disgusted with how dirty my socks had gotten, and left my shoes on for the rest of our stay. The pool area was so small there would be no way more than 4 people can fit in there at one time, and it was freezing. As for the "breakfast" , all I have to say is YUCK! We had met another couple at the Craker Barrel the next morning after our disappointing continental breakfast, and they reccommended the Holiday Inn on the main road US 41 . I don't think it was a Holiday Inn anymore, it was called something else, Holiday Home or House, but we checked out of the Best Western and went there. It was SO close to the beach, and the place was huge. Pool area and courtyard was amazing. Staff was wonderful, and room was great. It was about $40 cheaper too!We will return again next year. Needless to say, I was extrememly disappointent with the Best Western.

Stayed April 2008