“If you know it's broke , then fix it !!!!”

Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

On arrival , website pictures are deceptive , this looks more like a travel lodge . The car park was poorly lit and some lights not working so difficult to find reception. Tripped over entrance step and nearly broke my legs as soon as I arrived . Receptionist smiled and said lots of people do that we are trying to get it fixed !!!! But no notice warning !! This was the beginning of the end for me .
Bar maid was new and told us what a bad day she was having , then told us to sit down with our drinks and 'Alex ' would sort it out , she didn't know how to run a tab. Went to order food , Alex now there . I told him that we had already had drinks ( he didn't know ) I ordered food and just asked to run a tab, as we hadn't set up to have items added to our room . Alex told me in a smug voice ' I'd rather you pay now madam ' so I went and got partners card , but got his pin wrong . I said to Alex can I just go over there ( in bar still) with the handheld pdq unit and get partner to enter pin . He said in his smug voice again 'I'd rather you didn't madam'
When the food arrived it looked ok . But had to ask again for mayo and cutlery . Then again after that for salt and pepper . The mayonnaise was terrible ... Really poor quality sachet type , and the triple cooked chips tasted like they had been triple cooked in old oil .
The room key holder ( photocopied piece of card ) informed the key holder that 'we are adding a £1 charity donation to all invoices...please ask if you'd like is to remove it ' you can't collect for charity like that !!!
The room was small , but fine . ( bed like a rock though) The price was not expensive , but still £100 I'd actually rather have spent at a travel lodge .
I expected better from the 'de vere' brand . I think this hotel probably has guaranteed occupancy due to being so close to the universal studio tour , but it really need to up its game in terms of attention to detail and customer service .

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Sharon Q
There are newer reviews for Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were looking forward to staying at this de vere hotel after looking on the website. As we drove up the long drive the hotel looked very impressive in front of us then we turned left as directed towards the reception and car park and that was the last we saw of the manor house everything we experienced after that was travelodge plus , such a shame that even the reception was nt in the main house. The room was compact and as it was on the ground floor had only frosted windows , there were no biscuits in the room but you could get free coffee and biscuits near the bar area . We were looking to eat in the hotel but werent sure if there was a restaurant or just the bar menu available ,we found this menu a bit random and chose to eat at a local pub. I would say we only paid £20 for this room breakfast was extra, but i was slightly disappointed that the standard i expected was nt there.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Booked with this hotel and then cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances and didn't receive a refund so £60 wasted. It needs to be more clear when booking that you can't get a refund.

Won't be using them again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BL7109
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for the review you have posted. I am extremely surprised by the comments you have left as we do not hide our terms or conditions and use the standard terms that all hotels have.
We do have special rates which are none refundable but again this is clearly stated on all booking channels and all terms and conditions are listed at the time of booking.
If an error on our behalf has occurred please do email me on pfarrow@deverevenues.co.uk as I will investigate it to ensure we have honoured the correct terms of your reservation.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Peter

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Spent Friday night here and the hotel, food and staff were all great, recommend to anyone. The entrance is secluded so keep a sharp eye when approaching.
Check in was easy and hastle free, we also had free wi-fi

Room Tip: Any will do
1  Thank Maxinpompey
Reviewed 15 November 2013

2nd time here, staying for a business conference (towards which the hotel is mainly geared). Room was Ok, with massive bed and clean bathroom, but very hot (even without heating on), and therfore, uncomfortable for sleeping. The furniture seems dated, and squashed, given the size of the bed.
Breakfast was food, although the scrambled egg seemed powdered. Dinner was disappointing for my colleagues who complained about the mashed potato - although, to be fair, the staff did provide additional roasties afterwards.
To be honest, I think I would be disappointed as a ' normal' guest, despite the very pleasant surroundings of the park.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from conference groups if you want a decent kip.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathryn W
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Was expecting more from a De Vere. Don't be fooled by the main picture of a stately house. Reception, bar, restaurant & rooms located in modern extention. Never got close to the old house!
Reception fine.
Room on the smaller side, but clean and in reasonable decor. Had a twin room for myself - just glad I wasn't sharing!! Overlooked carpark on ground floor so had to keep blinds closed. Bed & pillows very comftable. Little noisy from others when retiring at night with doors banging. Free wifi in bedrooms a great benefit when travelling on business.
Bathroom small, clean and facilties in good working order. Shower had some power.
Breakfast satisfactory - selection of choice limited - just glad I didn't pay full price!! Staff didn't clear plates once used from the table.
No more than a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard_ATB
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my wife’s birthday. Generally speaking the hotel was good. You do not stay at the main house all bedrooms are connected to the house via long enclosed corridors; they are quite cold as they are made up of glass and wooden frames.

They have a small pool which again is adequate. The changing rooms are shared with separate changing cubicles connected. Some people may not like this setup.

The breakfast is adequate. There is not a lot to choose from. Despite the cooked breakfast being available from hot plates, the breakfast still came out warm? The coffee provided at breakfast is way too strong, avoid it and have a cup of tea instead which is much better. The toaster is fantastic; the bread comes out very evenly toasted.

As mentioned in previous reviews the bedrooms are small but ok. I have stayed in smaller!

The grounds around the house are very good, they keep them well maintained.

The hotel has a nice aura with outstanding staff, they are nice and friendly, which for me tips the hotel to a 4 star rating as opposed to 3 stars. Without the quality of the staff this would be a 3 star.

1  Thank joe_green
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Mercure London Watford Hotel

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!