“It was OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Reading
“It was OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a wedding party and bearing in mind this venue specialises in conferencing/weddings etc, I think it is relevant to comment on the services provided in this respect, which I have later on in my review.

I have no real complaints about the room, except to say it was expensive at £ 90 per night (apparently reduced from £ 120 !) and that is was small and reminiscent of a travel lodge type room. Very basic, but comfortable. No real natural light as window was frosted (apart from bathroom window) which made for a very dim room. Early reviewers mention what bargain prices they paid and I must admit I do feel slightly ripped off at the price we paid, especially as we booked two rooms and had to part with £ 180. My daughter and boyfriend were leaving early to catch a flight but no early breakfast could be arranged or brought to the room which was very disappointing so that was two breakfasts paid for but not taken.

I agree with earlier reviewers who mention the approach to the hotel with this nice manor house in view, but then you veer to the left to reception and rooms which are in modern block. We only saw inside the manor house as this was part of the wedding venue. It was very attractive but cold and with empty rooms. I know the rooms are used for different purposes so I can see why, but even a couple of nice chairs or pictures on the walls would have made them feel more warm. A couple of them had doors open and just looked like store rooms which wasn't particularly attractive. The wedding reception was held in a separate conservatory type construction which meant walking outside the main house down a few steps to enter. This was decorated beautifully but again was freezing as the door was constantly being opened and closed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The wedding breakfast was very average (the mashed potatoes were SMASH !), however the hog roast and buffet in the evening was exceptionally good.

The bar area is very attractive and we enjoyed having a pre wedding drink in there. Didn't use the pool but I hear it was very nice.

The cooked breakfast was very good, but the continental selection minimal. If more than two people were to help themselves to a piece of cheese or ham there would no nothing left. I am sure this would be replenshed, but it did look mean. Only cheap sliced bread was available to toast, no granary or similar. There were pastries though.

I have actually just realised that I left a tower fan in our room (I always take one in case rooms are hot and not all rooms have fans - this one did). However, this was over a week ago and I am surprised no one has contacted the organiser to say that some lost property had been found. It is too far for us to go and collect, but it would have been nice for them to have done so.

My review may seem a bit negative, but overall the experience was reasonable and I would stay again but not at that price !

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here over Christmas. The poor reviews nearly put us off beforehand. I'm so glad we didn't listen! We were geared up for making the best of it. We walked in, prepared for the worst, and were greeted by Curtis on reception. After his friendly welcome and helpfulness, we knew we were going to be happy. We had two lovely rooms. One was a kind upgrade to the bridal suite - a super huge room that was really comfortable and nice to be in. The other room was a first floor twin - a reasonable space with a desk, a TV and a good sized bathroom. We enjoyed both. The rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable, the showers were powerful. We had dinner in the restaurant. The waitresses were great, they couldn't do enough to help. The food was very good - we'll go back to restaurant even when we're not staying in the hotel. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and well-priced. The Christmas decorations and Christmas table settings were beautiful. We had plans for Christmas day and felt sorry to be missing out on what looked like a great time. A fridge and a safe in the room would have been nice but, at the good price, we accept they weren't there. In short, this was a wonderful stay in a super hotel. We really couldn't fault it. We have no idea what the poor reviews were talking about!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Hunton Park, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hunton Park, i am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us especially over the festive period.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes
Hemel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

This was meant to be a relaxing night away before Christmas but the result however was far from that. I'm not the sort of person to complain unnecessarily and I would like to say that the swimming pool was wonderful & the dinner we had in the bar was delicious. However, we checked in at half 3 and by 5 o'clock we released that there were feather pillows on the bed. My partner & I regularly stay in hotels whilst visiting family and only on one occasion before, about 18months ago, has he had allergic reaction to feather pillows. As soon as we realised the pillows at Hunton Park were feather ones I rang through to the reception to ask if there were any alternative pillows. The man on reception didn't seem entirely sure but he did say that he thought the pillows all contained feathers but different types and that  he would ring back to confirm. We didn't receive a follow up call about this - as promised - and by this time on a Sunday evening it was too late to go in search of antihistamines. Therefore my partner had to suffer a sleepless night in much discomfort. To make matters worse, when we checked out in the morning there was a different man on reception. It was clear that my partner had a sleepless night & by this time his nose & eyes were also streaming. When we relayed what had happened to the receptionist we were then told that the hotel did in fact have alternative pillows and that these could have been provided for us. It is such a shame because everything else was lovely and the situation could have been avoided had we received the correct customer service. I filled in a complaint form & I am waiting to hear back

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Neh205
Thank you for your review.
I was very disappointed to see the poor rating you have given following your stay. I am sorry for the miscommunication regarding the pillows and I believe the Reception Manager, Tony has spoken to you since and I have emailed you too.

I am sorry we did not know of this serious allergy in advance, if we had we could have made sure all of the pillows were of the non-feather type and placed in the room prior.

I am glad you enjoyed the bar food and use of the swimming pool.

Travellers are raving about these Hunton Bridge hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed for couple of nights and it was comfy and convenient for Harry Potter Studio Tour. Good facilities Receptionist guys were both very friendly and helpful throughout stay. Lovely warm pool to relax in and nice grounds for a walk. Bar food lovely (try the chilli). Warning: the taxis seem to charge what they think they can get away with, both to/from the studio tour and to/from Watford Junction station. They vary greatly and I had to renegotiate to get a fair price!

Will stay here again and recommend to all

Room Tip: we were upstairs in side block, very nice
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review of Hunton Park.

I will speak to the taxi company reference the price.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

So we recently stayed at De Vere Hunton Park for my partners birthday (We were visiting the Harry Potter Studios the next day) From the moment we walked in we were greeted in such a lovely manner and there was nothing that was too much trouble for any of the staff especially the nice young chap on reception and the young bar maid. We decided to have our dinner in the Bar instead of the restaurant as there was something my partner wanted to watch on TV, they quite happily changed the channel over as it wasn't busy and no one else seemed to be watching the TV. We order our food at the Bar I had a Vere Burger and my husband choose the Chilli both came freshly made and were lovely big portions. The young barmaid was very helpful and extremely friendly, she asked us how long we were staying etc and we explained just the one night as we were visiting the HP studios, she highly recommended them as she had visited the tour herself its really refreshing to have someone talk honestly about there own experiences in a place like that. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying a few days in the area. 8/10

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura B
Thank you for your review, i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have been to at least 6 different de vere hotels and this is the worst of the ones i've been to (which i usually always like) i expected hunton park to be better as our sunday stay was £49 and i usually pay £29/39 at the other hotels. In short, the room was clean and as expected but the shower was terrible, not powerful and kept going from boiling hot to cold, the speed bumps on the way to the hotel will ruin your suspension/back. The coffee stations which are usually all over the hotels were miles away from our room and from reception (they should have one by reception) si had a long walk back to my room with two coffees, although, the nice lady on reception did offer to open the door for me as she could see i had my hands full,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J W
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

The website makes this hotel look lovely as it appears that you are staying in the big manor house however this isn't the case, you do not at any point even enter the main house. The welcome wasn't very warm, we weren't even shown to our rooms. we asked what was on the dinner menu for the night, the receptionist advised that he would get a menu sent up to our room which we never received. We went down to the bar for something to eat and ordered tea for two, the bar lady didn't know how to put the order on the till so she had to grab someone else. The tea for two was not displayed on a menu so we asked what exactly it consisted off and neither of the two staff knew what was included, we asked what was in the sandwiches, and they replied with 'you know like finger sandwiches'. Not really helpful!! After paying £16 we waited 45 minutes for stale bread sandwiches with average cakes. After our experience with the bar and not receiving the dinner menu we decided we didn't want to risk eating here and being disappointed. We ate at a local town called St Albians which was lovely. On the plus side, the bed was very comfy, the room was tidy, however it was very noisy.
I wouldn't chose to stay here again, there is no atmosphere at all, but I will continue to use the De Vere chain as I have had pleasant stays in many other hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sopwell House
#3 of 9 in St Albans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,023 reviews
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction

Been to De Vere Hunton Park? Share your experiences!