Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
The Grove Hotel(Chandler's Cross)
US$476
The Grove
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel(Watford)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$81
US$118
US$107
  • Breakfast included
US$112
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn London Watford(Watford)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$74
US$55
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsbiscuitson the small sideharry potter worldcouple of nightsfood was lovelybirthday treatironing boardwarner bros studiosnight staystudio toura lovely staycar parkingfull englishminute drivegood nights sleepbeautiful groundsbar food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a wedding party and bearing in mind this venue specialises in conferencing/weddings etc, I think it is relevant to comment on the services provided in this respect, which I have later on in my review.

I have no real complaints about the room, except to say it was expensive at £ 90 per night (apparently reduced from £ 120 !) and that is was small and reminiscent of a travel lodge type room. Very basic, but comfortable. No real natural light as window was frosted (apart from bathroom window) which made for a very dim room. Early reviewers mention what bargain prices they paid and I must admit I do feel slightly ripped off at the price we paid, especially as we booked two rooms and had to part with £ 180. My daughter and boyfriend were leaving early to catch a flight but no early breakfast could be arranged or brought to the room which was very disappointing so that was two breakfasts paid for but not taken.

I agree with earlier reviewers who mention the approach to the hotel with this nice manor house in view, but then you veer to the left to reception and rooms which are in modern block. We only saw inside the manor house as this was part of the wedding venue. It was very attractive but cold and with empty rooms. I know the rooms are used for different purposes so I can see why, but even a couple of nice chairs or pictures on the walls would have made them feel more warm. A couple of them had doors open and just looked like store rooms which wasn't particularly attractive. The wedding reception was held in a separate conservatory type construction which meant walking outside the main house down a few steps to enter. This was decorated beautifully but again was freezing as the door was constantly being opened and closed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The wedding breakfast was very average (the mashed potatoes were SMASH !), however the hog roast and buffet in the evening was exceptionally good.

The bar area is very attractive and we enjoyed having a pre wedding drink in there. Didn't use the pool but I hear it was very nice.

The cooked breakfast was very good, but the continental selection minimal. If more than two people were to help themselves to a piece of cheese or ham there would no nothing left. I am sure this would be replenshed, but it did look mean. Only cheap sliced bread was available to toast, no granary or similar. There were pastries though.

I have actually just realised that I left a tower fan in our room (I always take one in case rooms are hot and not all rooms have fans - this one did). However, this was over a week ago and I am surprised no one has contacted the organiser to say that some lost property had been found. It is too far for us to go and collect, but it would have been nice for them to have done so.

My review may seem a bit negative, but overall the experience was reasonable and I would stay again but not at that price !

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here over Christmas. The poor reviews nearly put us off beforehand. I'm so glad we didn't listen! We were geared up for making the best of it. We walked in, prepared for the worst, and were greeted by Curtis on reception. After his friendly welcome and helpfulness, we knew we were going to be happy. We had two lovely rooms. One was a kind upgrade to the bridal suite - a super huge room that was really comfortable and nice to be in. The other room was a first floor twin - a reasonable space with a desk, a TV and a good sized bathroom. We enjoyed both. The rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable, the showers were powerful. We had dinner in the restaurant. The waitresses were great, they couldn't do enough to help. The food was very good - we'll go back to restaurant even when we're not staying in the hotel. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and well-priced. The Christmas decorations and Christmas table settings were beautiful. We had plans for Christmas day and felt sorry to be missing out on what looked like a great time. A fridge and a safe in the room would have been nice but, at the good price, we accept they weren't there. In short, this was a wonderful stay in a super hotel. We really couldn't fault it. We have no idea what the poor reviews were talking about!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hunton Park, i am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us especially over the festive period.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This was meant to be a relaxing night away before Christmas but the result however was far from that. I'm not the sort of person to complain unnecessarily and I would like to say that the swimming pool was wonderful & the dinner we had in the bar was delicious. However, we checked in at half 3 and by 5 o'clock we released that there were feather pillows on the bed. My partner & I regularly stay in hotels whilst visiting family and only on one occasion before, about 18months ago, has he had allergic reaction to feather pillows. As soon as we realised the pillows at Hunton Park were feather ones I rang through to the reception to ask if there were any alternative pillows. The man on reception didn't seem entirely sure but he did say that he thought the pillows all contained feathers but different types and that  he would ring back to confirm. We didn't receive a follow up call about this - as promised - and by this time on a Sunday evening it was too late to go in search of antihistamines. Therefore my partner had to suffer a sleepless night in much discomfort. To make matters worse, when we checked out in the morning there was a different man on reception. It was clear that my partner had a sleepless night & by this time his nose & eyes were also streaming. When we relayed what had happened to the receptionist we were then told that the hotel did in fact have alternative pillows and that these could have been provided for us. It is such a shame because everything else was lovely and the situation could have been avoided had we received the correct customer service. I filled in a complaint form & I am waiting to hear back

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Neh205

Thank you for your review.
I was very disappointed to see the poor rating you have given following your stay. I am sorry for the miscommunication regarding the pillows and I believe the Reception Manager, Tony has spoken to you since and I have emailed you too.

I am sorry we did not know of this serious allergy in advance, if we had we could have made sure all of the pillows were of the non-feather type and placed in the room prior.

I am glad you enjoyed the bar food and use of the swimming pool.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed for couple of nights and it was comfy and convenient for Harry Potter Studio Tour. Good facilities Receptionist guys were both very friendly and helpful throughout stay. Lovely warm pool to relax in and nice grounds for a walk. Bar food lovely (try the chilli). Warning: the taxis seem to charge what they think they can get away with, both to/from the studio tour and to/from Watford Junction station. They vary greatly and I had to renegotiate to get a fair price!

Will stay here again and recommend to all

Room Tip: we were upstairs in side block, very nice
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review of Hunton Park.

I will speak to the taxi company reference the price.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

So we recently stayed at De Vere Hunton Park for my partners birthday (We were visiting the Harry Potter Studios the next day) From the moment we walked in we were greeted in such a lovely manner and there was nothing that was too much trouble for any of the staff especially the nice young chap on reception and the young bar maid. We decided to have our dinner in the Bar instead of the restaurant as there was something my partner wanted to watch on TV, they quite happily changed the channel over as it wasn't busy and no one else seemed to be watching the TV. We order our food at the Bar I had a Vere Burger and my husband choose the Chilli both came freshly made and were lovely big portions. The young barmaid was very helpful and extremely friendly, she asked us how long we were staying etc and we explained just the one night as we were visiting the HP studios, she highly recommended them as she had visited the tour herself its really refreshing to have someone talk honestly about there own experiences in a place like that. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying a few days in the area. 8/10

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura B

Thank you for your review, i look forward to welcoming you back soon.