“Average...but only for the money....”

De Vere Hunton Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
WILTSHIRE
“Average...but only for the money....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Took advantage of a De Vere deal and booked a cheapy £40 for two nights deal.

I did email reception prior my visit ref the Spa facilities but received a mail back explaining the company that provided that were no longer around?...What ? still on the website?

Location was superb as we wanted to zip into London, so a quick drive to Kings Langley , dump the car and you are into Euston in minutes. Top tip for you.

The car parks are badly lit so it's a little bit hit and miss where you are heading but I soon found the reception and the chilly 'wind tunnel' leading to the annexe (I knew about the Annexe already, so no big deal for me).

The room (25)looked smart with the obligatory band of cloth at the bottom of the bed and scatter cushions but the rooms were small...very small,I can confirm that there were no mice in my room (see another review) but if there were they would be hunchbacked and in no danger from decapitated cats previously swung around.

We got showered and changed and decided to pop up to St Albans for a Nandos....that's how we roll! .... On the first speed hump going out I crunched the bottom of the engine...its wasn't the hump but the massive pot hole behind it.....please lob some scalpings in them....

We returned after a great night and looking forward to some kip and that's what we got ,despite some youngsters having a party, which made me stir slightly at 1amish when some went back to their rooms. The radiator was amusing and was like 'old faithful' as it gurgled, bubbled and spluttered through the night. Mrs didn't like it but I found it quite soothing.

Next morning I awoke before the missus and decided to go on the free wifi...disaster.....it doesn't work in room 25...iPad, and two smart phones didn't pick up anything, I had to use the phone as a tether so videos were a no no.....

As I got out of bed I found an ear ring had dug into my back during the night, I wasn't happy with the missus and even less when she pointed out it wasn't hers!!!.....urgh!! On leaving the room i informed the friendly maid that I wanted the bed changed and it seemed to be when we returned.

Didn't have breakfast, as we are tight wads.

Didn't use the pool as we didn't get time.

So overall...

Good:
Location...for Laandon and the Harry Potter thing (some people would like that).
Price: £40 for two nights...get in!
Shower: hot hot hot and powerful...

Bad:
Rooms were small, half size of Premier Inn...think central London ...but not out here.
Wifi: didn't exist in room 25
Ear Ring: is it yours? The maid has it!
Car Park: Gloomier than Cold Play and The Smiths....
Pot hole: Fill it please!

Would I stay here again? For £20 a night...you bet....but for £80 to £120 ..probably not...better stay in Premier Inn.

NB....we did not complain to reception ref Ear Ring and WiFi, so be far to the management, they cannot fix something they are not aware of. I wasn't prepared to move rooms after the missus carpet bombed the place with all her gear....why do women do that?

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deeperblue82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Please disregard the overly negative reviews on this site. I feel that for those disappointed that they were not staying in the main house this clouded their judgement on everything else. We have stayed at a few De Very hotels and yes the rooms are small but they are definitely of the quality you would expect from a De Very with Comfortable beds, nice contemporary decor, and clean modern bathrooms. There is a lovely area where you can sit and help yourself to complimentary coffee and tea and the bar area is also very nice. We enjoyed our stay very much and will be back when we book for the Harry Potter tour. Plenty of lovely places to eat in St Albans too.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Olivia1Northampton
Reading
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a wedding party and bearing in mind this venue specialises in conferencing/weddings etc, I think it is relevant to comment on the services provided in this respect, which I have later on in my review.

I have no real complaints about the room, except to say it was expensive at £ 90 per night (apparently reduced from £ 120 !) and that is was small and reminiscent of a travel lodge type room. Very basic, but comfortable. No real natural light as window was frosted (apart from bathroom window) which made for a very dim room. Early reviewers mention what bargain prices they paid and I must admit I do feel slightly ripped off at the price we paid, especially as we booked two rooms and had to part with £ 180. My daughter and boyfriend were leaving early to catch a flight but no early breakfast could be arranged or brought to the room which was very disappointing so that was two breakfasts paid for but not taken.

I agree with earlier reviewers who mention the approach to the hotel with this nice manor house in view, but then you veer to the left to reception and rooms which are in modern block. We only saw inside the manor house as this was part of the wedding venue. It was very attractive but cold and with empty rooms. I know the rooms are used for different purposes so I can see why, but even a couple of nice chairs or pictures on the walls would have made them feel more warm. A couple of them had doors open and just looked like store rooms which wasn't particularly attractive. The wedding reception was held in a separate conservatory type construction which meant walking outside the main house down a few steps to enter. This was decorated beautifully but again was freezing as the door was constantly being opened and closed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The wedding breakfast was very average (the mashed potatoes were SMASH !), however the hog roast and buffet in the evening was exceptionally good.

The bar area is very attractive and we enjoyed having a pre wedding drink in there. Didn't use the pool but I hear it was very nice.

The cooked breakfast was very good, but the continental selection minimal. If more than two people were to help themselves to a piece of cheese or ham there would no nothing left. I am sure this would be replenshed, but it did look mean. Only cheap sliced bread was available to toast, no granary or similar. There were pastries though.

I have actually just realised that I left a tower fan in our room (I always take one in case rooms are hot and not all rooms have fans - this one did). However, this was over a week ago and I am surprised no one has contacted the organiser to say that some lost property had been found. It is too far for us to go and collect, but it would have been nice for them to have done so.

My review may seem a bit negative, but overall the experience was reasonable and I would stay again but not at that price !

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here over Christmas. The poor reviews nearly put us off beforehand. I'm so glad we didn't listen! We were geared up for making the best of it. We walked in, prepared for the worst, and were greeted by Curtis on reception. After his friendly welcome and helpfulness, we knew we were going to be happy. We had two lovely rooms. One was a kind upgrade to the bridal suite - a super huge room that was really comfortable and nice to be in. The other room was a first floor twin - a reasonable space with a desk, a TV and a good sized bathroom. We enjoyed both. The rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable, the showers were powerful. We had dinner in the restaurant. The waitresses were great, they couldn't do enough to help. The food was very good - we'll go back to restaurant even when we're not staying in the hotel. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and well-priced. The Christmas decorations and Christmas table settings were beautiful. We had plans for Christmas day and felt sorry to be missing out on what looked like a great time. A fridge and a safe in the room would have been nice but, at the good price, we accept they weren't there. In short, this was a wonderful stay in a super hotel. We really couldn't fault it. We have no idea what the poor reviews were talking about!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Hunton Park, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Hunton Park, i am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us especially over the festive period.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes
Hemel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

This was meant to be a relaxing night away before Christmas but the result however was far from that. I'm not the sort of person to complain unnecessarily and I would like to say that the swimming pool was wonderful & the dinner we had in the bar was delicious. However, we checked in at half 3 and by 5 o'clock we released that there were feather pillows on the bed. My partner & I regularly stay in hotels whilst visiting family and only on one occasion before, about 18months ago, has he had allergic reaction to feather pillows. As soon as we realised the pillows at Hunton Park were feather ones I rang through to the reception to ask if there were any alternative pillows. The man on reception didn't seem entirely sure but he did say that he thought the pillows all contained feathers but different types and that  he would ring back to confirm. We didn't receive a follow up call about this - as promised - and by this time on a Sunday evening it was too late to go in search of antihistamines. Therefore my partner had to suffer a sleepless night in much discomfort. To make matters worse, when we checked out in the morning there was a different man on reception. It was clear that my partner had a sleepless night & by this time his nose & eyes were also streaming. When we relayed what had happened to the receptionist we were then told that the hotel did in fact have alternative pillows and that these could have been provided for us. It is such a shame because everything else was lovely and the situation could have been avoided had we received the correct customer service. I filled in a complaint form & I am waiting to hear back

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Neh205
Thank you for your review.
I was very disappointed to see the poor rating you have given following your stay. I am sorry for the miscommunication regarding the pillows and I believe the Reception Manager, Tony has spoken to you since and I have emailed you too.

I am sorry we did not know of this serious allergy in advance, if we had we could have made sure all of the pillows were of the non-feather type and placed in the room prior.

I am glad you enjoyed the bar food and use of the swimming pool.

Travellers are raving about these Hunton Bridge hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed for couple of nights and it was comfy and convenient for Harry Potter Studio Tour. Good facilities Receptionist guys were both very friendly and helpful throughout stay. Lovely warm pool to relax in and nice grounds for a walk. Bar food lovely (try the chilli). Warning: the taxis seem to charge what they think they can get away with, both to/from the studio tour and to/from Watford Junction station. They vary greatly and I had to renegotiate to get a fair price!

Will stay here again and recommend to all

Room Tip: we were upstairs in side block, very nice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review of Hunton Park.

I will speak to the taxi company reference the price.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

So we recently stayed at De Vere Hunton Park for my partners birthday (We were visiting the Harry Potter Studios the next day) From the moment we walked in we were greeted in such a lovely manner and there was nothing that was too much trouble for any of the staff especially the nice young chap on reception and the young bar maid. We decided to have our dinner in the Bar instead of the restaurant as there was something my partner wanted to watch on TV, they quite happily changed the channel over as it wasn't busy and no one else seemed to be watching the TV. We order our food at the Bar I had a Vere Burger and my husband choose the Chilli both came freshly made and were lovely big portions. The young barmaid was very helpful and extremely friendly, she asked us how long we were staying etc and we explained just the one night as we were visiting the HP studios, she highly recommended them as she had visited the tour herself its really refreshing to have someone talk honestly about there own experiences in a place like that. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying a few days in the area. 8/10

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura B
Thank you for your review, i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton Bridge
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,580 reviews

Been to De Vere Hunton Park? Share your experiences!