“Tiny rooms”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Birmingham
“Tiny rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We picked the hotel because of its proximity to the Harry Potter studio tour. A good choice for that, just a five minute drive away, although the road has loads of speed bumps on it,

The hotel is misleading as it looks as if it is an old manor house in lovely grounds, but the rooms are in a modern annexe. Our room (31) was tiny but clean, and the bathroom was perfectly acceptable. Wifi worked fine. The breakfast was plentiful, but I'm not sure we got £8.50 worth each,
Staff all very good, although they were desperate to service our room. Our tour was booked for 12.30 so we weren't in a rush, and our door was knocked twice to see what time we wanted the service done!

Bar food and bar fine, and there are a couple of good pubs within walking distance for a drink and evening meal.

Room Tip: Just beware they are small
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paddy53
Peter F, General Manager at De Vere Hunton Park, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review, with reference to the location of the rooms we do list on the website that the rooms are housed in a separate purpose build annexe. I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and found the room clean and perfectly acceptable.

Pete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Not complaining, just an honest review. I took advantage of the bargain deal and stayed here for 3 nights. Like another reviewer, I suffered the constant fan in my bathroom. The room was perfectly formed but rather small, wouldnt have wanted to be sharing! The bathroom was nicely decorated, and very clean, no scruffy sealant!!!
Sadly again, no guest rooms in the main historic building which was in use for conference/meetings for all the time I stayed. Annoyingly, the extensive bar area on several levels was also used by those already having the meeting rooms, to have ad hoc mini meetings. I can see why this happens, but perhaps there could be a small "residents" only lounge somewhere?
The driveway is pretty poor and what I saw of the grounds was little to write home about. It is great for visiting Harry Potter, which I hadnt realised was a stone's throw from my room and within easy travelling distance if you want to visit St Albans and villages such as the very attractive Berkhampstead. But the immediate surroundings and entrance from the road to this Venues is very unattractive.
Sadly, another guest decided to slam their door at 7am each morning so the lay-in I had hoped for didnt happen. I certainly cannot complain at the value for money that I got but I wouldnt stay there again. The pool is very small and access into the Hotel reception and to rooms on the first floor (no lift) is a nightmare with a heavy case.
I definitely wouldnt want to have to pay full price for this Hotel. Lovely and helpful young lady on reception when I booked in and checked out, sorry, didnt note her name but an asset to the company.

Room Tip: No getting away from slamming doors Im afraid.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Gail T
Thank you for the review, I am delighted you had a good stay. I am pleased to say we have fixed the issue with the driveway but I do have to disagree with the grounds as I feel they are beautiful but maybe it was the January effect. thank you also for the positive mention of the receptionist who was delighted to read your comments.

Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Our son and future daughter in law had their engagement party in a so called marquee, which was sparsely decorated, it was freezing cold, some guests left early due to this. There was bucks fiz on arrival which was put on a table in the cloakroom for the guests to help themselves ! This was certainly not obvious ! Canapés were supposed to be on constant flow for the first two hours!!! I saw possibly 2 chalk boards with what looked like Iceland bought party snacks, possibly 6 pieces on each board! We supplied our own DJ , we where charged a ridiculous amount of money for the pleasure of freezing to death, the drinks where extremely expensive, however prices varied depending in which bar you went to !!! The coke was from plastic supermarket bottles and was £3.50 for a small tumbler! The bar was a complete shambles . This evening was a special evening for our son and his fiancé , however I feel very disappointed , would no way recommend this hotel/location to any one ! My husband and I have owned a hotel in italy and I have attended the British Butler Course in London and therefore know what to expect ! Very very disappointed and feel it was a total rip off !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sue W
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to speak with me after the event. Once again I am sorry for the issues that occurred on the evening but I am glad we were able to speak about it.

Travellers are raving about these Hunton Bridge hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

"The hotel is good for an overnight stay when visiting Harry Potter World. The rooms are clean and the service good. The food at dinner was excellent however breakfast was patchy, some food hot other food just off cold. The bathroom in our room had a fan that did not shut off the whole time we were there but this did not spoil the trip, just keep the bathroom door shut. There are offers when the hotel is very good value and well worth keeping an eye out for."read less

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Have just spent 2 nights at this hotel and for what we paid I am more than happy with what we got. Had I paid full price I wouldn't have been so complimentary!
The driveway nearly wrecked my car so go steady over those speed bumps. The water logged pot holes disguised the size of the problem and only when the bottom of my car hit concrete did I realise how bad it was! The approach looks lovely, but don't be fooled, reception is round the back, down some stairs!
Lovely reception area with pleasant staff. We were checked in very quickly and went straight to our room which already had our travel cot up and ready. The rooms are small but perfectly clean and tidy. The wifi worked well in our room as well. The will scald you and take your head off if you're not careful. I do love a power shower.
We then went for a swim. The pool area has a really funky smell about it, the changing rooms smell damp and horrible but I guess they fit the purpose. The changing areas are unisex which I have no problem with but there's not a lot of space in there and only a couple of rooms to go in. The pool itself is really lovely, it's closed quite a lot for swimming lessons but we got chance to use it and found it to be nice and warm. It's a real shame it doesn't have a jacuzzi or a steam room as this would have made it even better. It's definitely not a spa facility but a good pool none the less.
We ate in the bar which was a little pricy but really enjoyed the food and the service was fine.
All in all a good stay, no major complaints, I would be cheesed off if I paid full price but I didn't so it was good value for money. I didn't pay for breakfast as I'm confident I can't get £8.50 worth of food at breakfast. Would definitely return and it's spitting distance from Harry potter studio tour.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
WILTSHIRE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Took advantage of a De Vere deal and booked a cheapy £40 for two nights deal.

I did email reception prior my visit ref the Spa facilities but received a mail back explaining the company that provided that were no longer around?...What ? still on the website?

Location was superb as we wanted to zip into London, so a quick drive to Kings Langley , dump the car and you are into Euston in minutes. Top tip for you.

The car parks are badly lit so it's a little bit hit and miss where you are heading but I soon found the reception and the chilly 'wind tunnel' leading to the annexe (I knew about the Annexe already, so no big deal for me).

The room (25)looked smart with the obligatory band of cloth at the bottom of the bed and scatter cushions but the rooms were small...very small,I can confirm that there were no mice in my room (see another review) but if there were they would be hunchbacked and in no danger from decapitated cats previously swung around.

We got showered and changed and decided to pop up to St Albans for a Nandos....that's how we roll! .... On the first speed hump going out I crunched the bottom of the engine...its wasn't the hump but the massive pot hole behind it.....please lob some scalpings in them....

We returned after a great night and looking forward to some kip and that's what we got ,despite some youngsters having a party, which made me stir slightly at 1amish when some went back to their rooms. The radiator was amusing and was like 'old faithful' as it gurgled, bubbled and spluttered through the night. Mrs didn't like it but I found it quite soothing.

Next morning I awoke before the missus and decided to go on the free wifi...disaster.....it doesn't work in room 25...iPad, and two smart phones didn't pick up anything, I had to use the phone as a tether so videos were a no no.....

As I got out of bed I found an ear ring had dug into my back during the night, I wasn't happy with the missus and even less when she pointed out it wasn't hers!!!.....urgh!! On leaving the room i informed the friendly maid that I wanted the bed changed and it seemed to be when we returned.

Didn't have breakfast, as we are tight wads.

Didn't use the pool as we didn't get time.

So overall...

Good:
Location...for Laandon and the Harry Potter thing (some people would like that).
Price: £40 for two nights...get in!
Shower: hot hot hot and powerful...

Bad:
Rooms were small, half size of Premier Inn...think central London ...but not out here.
Wifi: didn't exist in room 25
Ear Ring: is it yours? The maid has it!
Car Park: Gloomier than Cold Play and The Smiths....
Pot hole: Fill it please!

Would I stay here again? For £20 a night...you bet....but for £80 to £120 ..probably not...better stay in Premier Inn.

NB....we did not complain to reception ref Ear Ring and WiFi, so be far to the management, they cannot fix something they are not aware of. I wasn't prepared to move rooms after the missus carpet bombed the place with all her gear....why do women do that?

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deeperblue82
northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Please disregard the overly negative reviews on this site. I feel that for those disappointed that they were not staying in the main house this clouded their judgement on everything else. We have stayed at a few De Very hotels and yes the rooms are small but they are definitely of the quality you would expect from a De Very with Comfortable beds, nice contemporary decor, and clean modern bathrooms. There is a lovely area where you can sit and help yourself to complimentary coffee and tea and the bar area is also very nice. We enjoyed our stay very much and will be back when we book for the Harry Potter tour. Plenty of lovely places to eat in St Albans too.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,582 reviews

Been to De Vere Hunton Park? Share your experiences!