“Fantastic venue, brilliant location, stunning grounds, great staff.”

Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic venue, brilliant location, stunning grounds, great staff.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently had my wedding reception here in April 2014. Sophie our wedding co ordinator was brilliant with all our questions and requests in the year long run up to the event. Staff on the night were brilliant and controlled the whole evening perfectly. The food was delicious which everyone stated also. The venue is in a brilliant location with beautiful grounds, its just a shame it rained so we had to stay inside. The drink prices were perhaps more than what people were expecting but I think they are on average for a hotel in the area. The rooms are also clean, modern and comfortable too. I would definitely recommend a visit to this hotel :-)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank PFairbrother30
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your review and we are absolutely delighted you enjoyed you big day with us.
Sophie was really pleased to read of the difference she made your special day and I would like to thank you for posting such a wonderful review on this site.

Congratulations again and we look forward seeing you back here in the future.

Pete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Bletchley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a Saturday night in April. Receptionists were very welcoming and are a credit to DeVere. Our room however was not. There was a strong musty odour in the rather small room and we found out why later in the evening as the carpet was very wet next to the radiator. We avoided that area of the room to keep our feet dry ! I don't believe this was a new problem as the carpet was stained where previous leaks had dried. The room's window has opaque film applied to it so that you don't look out on the service yard with its various waste skips and stores, and provides you with some privacy from hotel staff using the yard. On a positive note we did find the beds to be comfortable and unlike others, we were not kept awake by other guests. We let the reception know about the wet carpet and had we been staying longer we'd have asked for a change of room.

The hotel grounds are extensive and quite pleasant to stroll around although there is an ever-present distant traffic roar from the M25 motorway. The bluebells in the grounds were particularly good to see, and there is a putting green available for guests' use.

Breakfast was perfectly adequate and the staff in the breakfast room were efficient and pleasant.

All-in-all an average hotel which needs some TLC but is fortunate to have good staff

Room Tip: Ask reception to let you view the allocated room before accepting it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for the kind comments regarding the team. I am sorry for the maintenance issue you experienced with the room and keen to let you know this was resolved immediately after you left.

Thank you once agin for your review.

Tournon-d'Agenais, France
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a brilliant place to stay! We arrived very early, but the staff couldn't have been more helpful, even though the room was, understandably, not ready. Free coffee etc in the lounge, beautiful, very pretty grounds to wander through and very tranquil. The room was lovely, very clean and well equipped - even an iron and an ironing board! We had the swimming pool to ourselves, which was warm and relaxing- though the changing facilities let it down a bit. Dinner, including wine, was excellent and breakfast was amazing. All this for a mere £99 - what a bargain!

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing may have better views and are probably larger than in the main house.
1 Thank LaTuque51
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am really please you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting the Harry Potter studio tour. The hotel itself is very nice, although our room was a bit small. The grounds and surroundings are beautiful and everywhere is kept clean and tidy. Our main issue with the hotel was the quality of the food, which we found really disappointing. We ordered a room service pizza which was almost inedible; shop bought pizza base with tomato ketchup and far too much melted cheese. We ended up eating from a really lovely local Indian takeaway, which I thoroughly recommend!
All in all, a decent hotel but we won't be in a rush to visit again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy the food, indeed this is not the usual feedback we receive around our food offering and please accept my deepest apologies that this was not up to standard.

I am keen to resolve this issue and would ask you to contact me directly at the venue to rectify.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for one night as we were going to the harry potter tour the next day, it is in perfect location as it's a 3 minute drive from here. The room was clean (small but we only needed somewhere to sleep) the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The only downside to our stay was a couple of girls who were staying in a room about 4 along from us, they were very noisy coming back and they stayed up chatting until early hours we could hear every word the said.
The pictures you see are not the actual hotel you stay in and there doesn't seem to be any so I will add a photo of it.
A very lovely place that I would recommend people to stay if they are visiting universal but take ear plugs!!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review and picture. I am glad you enjoyed your stay but sorry for the disturbance that was caused to you.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Perfect for an overnight stay when visiting the Harry Potter tour. Beautiful gardens to explore, plus swimming pool. Delicious food was available from both the restaurant and bar areas. The only negative issue I experienced was a very long delay in being served and receiving my evening meal in the bar. Very happy and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue J
Thank you for your review and i am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for the delay in receiving you bar meal but I am pleased you enjoyed the food.

Norfolk
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The De Vere group hotels are split into 5 categories, ranging from the modern urban hotels of the Village resorts to the Luxury Lodges. Hunton Park is part of the Venues group of hotels, which are aimed towards business meetings and conferences, but are set in the grounds of mansions, making them ideal choices for weddings and celebrations.

I have experienced De Vere venues before, when I have stayed at Theobalds Park at Cheshunt, which used to be a rural studies centre that I visited when I was at school, but in the past few years I have stayed there a couple of times when visiting in my old home town.

We planned a trip to visit the Warner Brothers Studio Tour at Leavesden, near Watford. This was our second visit, last time we visited here, we got engaged. This time we returned with friends of ours and decided to stay at Hunton Park, which is literally situated behind the studio complex.

The entrance from the main road is small and easily missed as the sign and gateway are quite subtle. Pulling onto the driveway, and you are driving towards the beautiful house. Just before you reach the house, the road bends to the left and you drive towards a modern wing that houses the hotel.

The hotel is split into 3 areas connected by enclosed glass walkways. Our block was housed two floors of rooms, plus a swimming pool in a lower level. The main area houses the reception, function suite, restaurant and bar, whilst the third area houses further rooms in what appears to be an older, original building. The actual house is seperate from the hotel, but appears to be used for wedding ceremonies. There was a wedding celebration at the hotel on the night we were there, meaning we had trouble parking. There is plentiful parking, but the spaces near the hotel were filled in the evening and we ended up parked in the overflow, which was only another 50 yards from the reception.

The room in which we stayed was a little smaller than I've stayed in before. The bed was big and comfy, but there wasn't room at the foot of the bed to walk passed if somebody was sat at the desk. This is a minor point, but this should give you an indication of the size of the very nicely furnished room. The bathroom wasn't huge, but it had mirrored walls arranged in a bay window arrangement around the sunken hand basin. I thought this was a nice touch, as was the swing out glass shower door over the bath.

Foodwise, I thought the breakfast buffet was great, but I found the dinner menu to be a little limited and the portions a bit small. This isn't necessarily a criticism. It was clear that they were trying to provide a classy feel, with 4 or 5 choices of starter, main and starter, for around £21 a head. The food was nice, but I guess I am probably more akin to the 'pub' type of menu you get in other hotels. There is also a wider range of food available on the 'Verve Deli' bar and room service menus (burgers, hot dogs).

Staff were all very pleasant and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to visit here, or any De Vere again.

Pricewise, we paid for the hotel as part of a Superbreaks package with the WB Studio tour. The hotel itself is reasonably priced compared with Holiday Inn type of establishments, but with the De Vere venues you get far better surroundings. Walking in the gardens in the morning and driving along a tree lined driveway made it that much more special than just walking out to a car park by a busy road.

1 Thank leftyamazed
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton Bridge
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!