“Lovely venue”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Welcombe, United Kingdom
“Lovely venue”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Had a very good 2 night stay at Hunton Park for a surprise birthday party on the Saturday. The food was superb, both the buffet dinner and the breakfasts. The room was lovely and the bed really comfortable. It was a little hot but then we like a cool bedroom, so it might not have been a problem for others. The rooms are very well sound proofed and there is no sound from adjoining bedrooms, or the plumbing. However we did get woken up by guests returning to their rooms late at night. We complained about this and I had a very nice phone call from a manager today apologising and saying they were putting up boxes for signs on the doors to the corridors to ask people to return to their rooms quietly. The pool was closed but this really wasn't their fault as a major piece of equipment had broken down, we saw it being taken away.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Thank you for the lovely review and I am delighted you had a good stay with us.

Pete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
NW England
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Nice place, pleasant surroundings and clean up to date rooms. One complaint would be the lack of air conditioning. I think we got the hottest day in July and had to leave a fan on all night to try and cool the room slightly. Didn't eat in the hotel other than breakfast but that was very good and the service couldn't be faulted.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, I am delighted you had a good stay with us. Indeed the rooms do not have air conditioning and as you have said we do put a fan in all guest rooms for their comfort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The only reason I booked this hotel was because of the pool so I was very disappointed to find the swimming pool was closed due to high chlorine levels. They seemed to think this was not their fault and beyond their control. The room was small and claustrophobic. It was in an annexe well away from the lovely old manor house and our room overlooked the car park. To add insult to injury we could see our car outside but had to walk all the way back up to the main house and round to the car park to fetch our luggage. The only redeeming feature was the food and service in the restaurant. Our Czech waitress was outstandingly skilled at her job. The chef produced the best tomato soup we have had and even revealed to us his secret recipe! But there was a party going on in the conservatory so we could not eat in there. As was the case at breakfast as well. The orangery was being used by a wedding party, so we saw and were able to use very little of the main house. I also slipped rather badly down a slimy disabled ramp and spoiled my trousers? All in all, apart from the restaurant, I would not want to repeat the Hunton Manor experience.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get one in the manor house or overlooking the garden. You may need to pay more o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnDelafield
Thank you for the review you have posted on this site.

I am sorry you were not pleased with your stay. Indeed the rooms are housed in a separate annex as listed on the website as we do not have any accommodation in the manor house itself as it is used for events and conferencing which is core of what we do.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the restaurant experience, and I will ensure these comments are passed onto the restaurant and kitchen team.

Whilst I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by the pool being shut, I can assure you this was closed for the safety reasons and this is our priority at all time.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Hunton Bridge hotels

Macclesfield
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I agree with previous reviewers that rooms are very small. They have all you would need but are disappointing when you compare what you've paid with the rooms at Travel Lodges etc. The exterior of the main house is beautiful but it's interior is looking tired. The grounds are excellent and would make a wonderful backdrop to wedding photos. Breakfast was not bad for £8.50 but the service was chaotic and items took an age to replenish. The pool is tiny and not available all the time as it's used for swimming lessons.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ParqueTropical
Thank you for the review, indeed I agree the rooms are compact however they are fully functional.
Please accept my apologies for the breakfast and I have passed these comments on to the restaurant team.
Thank you once again for your review.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

After many years of reviews my main aim is to be as constructive as possible when formulating my comments, Hunton Park hotel was the chosen venue for my sons wedding on August 22nd 2014. My wife and I were to spend the night before the wedding and the night after in the hotel. Booking arrangements had been made way back earlier in the year and I was tasked in booking many rooms for our side of the family with specific requests for room location etc. All bookings were as planned, a perfect start to the two days, thank you goes to the reception staff. A group of us ate in the hotel restaurant on the pre-wedding day, very enjoyable.

The wedding ceremony was held in the Orangery, a superb venue followed by the reception in the large marquee, decorated to perfection, these parts of the wedding were restricted to 70 guests, but for the evening entertainment the numbers swelled to 150, there is a dedicated bar in one end of the marquee and a dance floor and entertainment area at the other, a pig roast fed the evening guests, all this set in beautiful grounds.

How would I rate the hotel? Rooms - clean but very small I would not like to spend more than a couple of nights. Hotel facilities - adequate. Location excellent. Staff - Efficient and courteous. Food - very good standard. Wedding Planning - No problems.

The only negative was bar prices, when the family spend a considerable sum of money on a big do like this some concessions could be made, firstly to supply children with soft drinks and not charge exorbitant prices for coke etc. Secondly the general price of alcoholic drinks, these were in my opinion over the top, I know its a hotel but Hunton Park prices were way above average, and lastly the residents bar, how strange that when we all end in this bar late on the wedding night that all the draught pumps were ‘down’ and only bottled beers were available, and these were an average of £4.30 a bottle! some three times the price of draught beer.

Conclusion - All in all an excellent place for a wedding.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris S
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you had a great wedding day and I am so pleased our team made it the special day it was for you. We wish you both all the happiness for the future.

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here for one night as was visiting Harry Potter studios which is about 5/10 minute drive away from the hotel. When arriving at the hotel it looked lovely. The man on reception was very friendly and helpful, we was offered a wake up call in the morning or a newspaper delivered to our room, we didn't have either. We inquired about the restaurant and weather we needed to book, he said we didn't and he offered to have tonight's menu delivered to our room. Then we went to our room we was slightly disappointed as we paid £129 for a one night stay and the room was quite small, previously I have stayed in Premier/Holiday inns with nicer/bigger rooms for under half the price. This didn't put us off as the room was still ok and there wasn't any problems. It does say the hotel has free WiFi but I couldn't get a connection in my room at all. Other reviews have mentioned about the slamming doors and I have to agree the door slamming was very loud and the walls are so thin. As when we arrived at 4pm the people in the room next door sounded like they was enjoying themselves the sexual noises and screams they were making and this went on for 2 hours! I could also hear there full conversation after they had finished, I am glad they left after this as if this had been at night I would't have been best pleased. The restaurant menu was delivered to our room as promised by reception I was a little disappointed by the menu as there wasn't much to choose from and I didn't actually like anything on the menu. We decided to eat at the bar instead, we both ordered steak & tripled cooked chips. This was lovely! The portion sizes were very good and it was nothing like bar food! It was restaurant quality and was reasonably priced, I would recommend people to eat at the bar as all the food looked lovely. We both slept well and the bed was comfortable, we are both deep sleepers so the door slamming noise didn't affect us but I can see how it would affect some people. Breakfast was buffet and there was quite a lot to choose from, all the full english food was very hot and tasted fresh. Overall the stay here was very nice, just I think the rooms are slightly overpriced for the size of them, but I would stay here again if I got a cheaper deal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jellie123
Thank you for review you have left on this site. I am glad that you enjoyed the overall stay but I am sorry you found the rooms to be slightly over priced.
Although our rooms are of a compact size, the beautiful grounds and service we offer means our price is competitive in the market.
We have recently fitted all doors int he venue with new closures to ensure that all doors are soft close now and do not slam.
I have passed on your comments with regards to the menu choice to the head chef and we are both pleased you enjoyed the steak and triple cooked chips and found this reasonable price.
Thank you once again for the review.

chelmsford
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Clean modern hotel with good amenties. Room slightly on the side especially if you have lots of baggage. Free tea and coffee in waiting areas is a nice touch. Be aware there is no gym only a swimming pool.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bookit_9
Peter F, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review, I am delighted you had a good stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton Bridge
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!