“Perfectly Lovely Hotel”

Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hunton Bridge
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I feel compelled to write a review since I believe some of the reviews are a little one sided on trip advisor. Having booked this hotel for a romantic couple of nights on Devere's summer deals, I decided to read the reviews. I have stayed in a number of Devere hotels and had high expectations and panicked when I read about how terrible the rooms were, etc. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

The groundsman was weeding the front of the well kept gardens and the receptionist was delightful. We arrived at our lovely room, which I admit did feel rather hot. We noticed there was a fan on the floor and opened the windows which definately helped. The room was clean and well decorated, as was the bathroom.

We were served drinks and food in the bar by an extremely helpful member of staff. The bar was clean, cosy and well set out in various, different levelled sections and had a pool table in the very top section tucked out of the way. The football was also on tv which had a number of business man, as well as my (now) fiance grouped round (in a civilised manner, not like the pubs!). We could have easily gone to a different area of the bar, and the tv was turned down to a sensible level so that others did not get disturbed.

The only complaint I have, is that my boyfriend proposed to me on the Tuesday lunch time, and we would have loved a bottle of wine out on the terrace in the sun (first day in weeks!) to celebrate. However, I asked for a bottle of wine and three different members said the bar was closed and could not process the transaction, even if we were staying in the hotel. I did not want to play the whole 'newly engaged' card as I think this can be rather tacky, and it should not make any difference. If they could serve wine to a newly engaged couple, they should serve everyone. This was a shame as we had returned back to the hotel to spend the later part of the afternoon enjoying the gardens. We would have also liked access to tourist information leaflets.

Overall, a very enjoyable 3 days away, and I would definately return if the occasion arises, but I would bring my own bottle of wine to drink on the terrace!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
whitejo, General Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay with us at Hunton. More importantly, congratulations on your engagement!

I am absolutely delighted that you had such a positive experience with us. Every member of our team is committed to ensuring all our guests have a really great stay with us, so it is a real boost to read your feedback.

I was extremely disappointed to read however, that you could not celebrate such a special occassion with a glass of wine as our bar was not open. Please be assured I have now ensured that every day, we have designated trained members of our team available to open our bar if any guest does wish to have a drink.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and I wish you the warmest of wishes from Hunton Park on your forthcoming marriage.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

what a disappointment. staff were friendly. room was about the size of a postage stamp. went here for our anniversary.went to london for the day rushed back to get a few drinks .got one drink then asked for another only to be told bar was closed. it was only 11 pm.looking at other reviews when we got home we must have had the one room where the bed was against the wall. not very nice.one final thing they need to do something about the fire doors they slammed every time someone passed through

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review, following your recent stay with us at Hunton Park.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay, and particularly that you were disappointed with your room. We are currently under-going an extensive refurbishment within our bedrooms, including a re-design of the room layout. However, we do always try to ensure that our price reflects our current standard and size of accommodation and remains extremely competitive within the local market place.

I am also sorry to read that you were unable to obtain a drink after 11pm. On particularly quiet evenings, we do close our bar at 11pm, however, drinks are always available from our Night Duty Manager, contactable via our 24hr reception.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review, and I do hope we can welcome you back to our venue in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

I have now stayed a this hotel five times and will be staying there (I hope!) a lot more of the coming months.

The first thing to say is that confusingly this place has two lots of reviews on Trip Advisor - also filed as Hunton Park, Watford - but most of those reviews are not too good.

From what I understand De Vere have taken this on the past couple of years and are in the process of turning it round from what looks like it might have been a poor state. Thus far therefore my experiences have been entirely positive but I am guessing from the other reviews there may still be some rooms awaiting refurbishment so you may want to make some specific enquires/requests! I have made quite a few of my bookings from Hotels.com (an Expedia business) as they seem to get a really good "room only" rate which is what I want. The direct book rates are sometimes higher, although I now have a negotiated rate as a regular visitor.

The venue is beautiful grounds (they are really selling it as wedding and conference venue) and there is a big, old mansion house at the centre. However all the bedrooms I have stayed in have been in the newer (I'd guess 80s/90s) accommodation blocks - I don't know if there are any bedrooms in the older building - it may be just all meeting rooms, dining rooms etc. All the rooms have been clean, tidy and plenty of room for 1 (but one of them was a double but would have been a bit pokey for 2!). Beds have all been comfortable and all at least doubles. Decor/carpets are bit dated but all clean and well maintained. Likewise with bathrooms - they show signs of maintenance etc but are clean and function well. There are some other nice touches too - like plenty of towels, a desk fan in the room while it has been hot...

The hotel is very quite (especially given it's near so many big roads!) and the noise level in the bedroom blocks has so far been very low although I suspect I may not stay on busy days.

For business person it is worth nothing there is a reasonable desk and chair, decent power sockets, free wifi, modern phone. The TV is small and quite limited channels (about 10 of them I think) but not a problem for me.

There is a swimming pool downstairs in one of the accommodation blocks which is small but clean and pleasant (no life guard, you are advised not to swim on your own!). There is a jacuzzi but it's not been working on any occasion I have been yet. There isn't a gym but plenty of opportunity for a walk in the grounds and a run in the surrounding area.

The bar does snacks (fairly limited menu) and there is a restaurant but I haven't eaten there. I've only had breakfast once which was hot and cold buffet and pleasant enough. There are pubs/restaurants down by the canal which is walking distance (although it's a decent hill back up at the end of the evening). There is also more choice in Abbots Langley village a short drive/cab ride away. And there is also the Cinema and restaurants a short drive away on A41 and Watford town centre wouldn't take more than 15 minutes in car.

Staff have all seemed really helpful and polite - certainly doesn't feel like part of some large anonymous chain.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank AndyMoorley
whitejorob, Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hunton Park. All guest feedback is incredibly important to us, and I am delighted to read you have had a positive experience with us.

We do acknowledge that some of our rooms do require cosmetic updating, and I am pleased to advise you that this work commences at the end of August, and will address many of your comments regarding the accommodation.

Thank you also for your feedback on our bar menu, and that you felt it was a little limited. We are currently now working to extend this menu to offer more choice to our guests who do not wish to eat in our restaurant.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back to Hunton Park in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

I stayed at Hunton Bridge Hotel last weekend with my partner. We were looking for a weekend stay of R&R in a 'calm' location as we had recently experienced some stressful circumstances. Due to the negative reviews on trip advisor (whihc I read after booking!) I was concerned about the quality we were going to experience and emailed the hotel, explaining why we were staying with them and mentioning my concerns about the tripadvisor reviews. They responded and assured me that whilst some rooms were awaiting refurbishment, most rooms had recently undergone a refurbishment and that the hotel was actually a lovely place to stay (I realise this is a subjective assessment!). On arrival, we were dealt with by reception with friendly respect and our room was more than fine. The bed was comfortable, the decor was very calm, a fridge in the room would have been nice but was not the end of the world.. Feedback I would give the hotel is this: net curtains would have been nice so that we could have had privacy with the curtains open (our room overlooked the car park); the tv is a portable size and we are used to a bigger tv these days; freeview tv would have been good as we could have had a music radio channel on. But overall, we had a lovely 24 hours. The location is exceptionnal - beautiful gardens and two good pubs a short walk away. My advice is - well worth what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
whitejo, Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at Hunton Park. The feedback you have provided is extremely valuable to us, and certainly gives us areas to focus on for continuous improvements.

I am delighted to advise you that we commence our bedroom refurbishment at the end of August, and will address many of the comments you have made, including an upgraded television system.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do hope we can welcome you back to Hunton Park in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2010

this hotel is meant to be 4 stars in my book its was a 1star the rooms are terrible the wallpaper was coming or the walls we change rooms 3 time and still go a bad room if its was not for the fact that we came ot england for a function at this hotel we would have left even when we got a half dissent room there was a cobweb hanging for a bedside lamp for the 2 days that we stayed there i have taken photos of the room and if someone from the de vere group cares to contact they are free to contact any time it is shame as this hotel has great grounds and the breakfast was really good and the staff where very helpful but there hand where tied due to the fact that the de vere group where not sending money on the hotel rooms shame on you for not see the potential

• Stayed: June 2010
whitejorob, Manager at Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our venue, Hunton Park. All guest feedback is incredibly valuable to us, and I am grateful you have taken the time to share your experience.

I am sorry to read we failed to live up to your expectation. Whilst we are aware that some aspects of our bedrooms do require a little cosmetic updating, I would like to assure you this is currently being planned with De Vere and will be commencing at the end of August. However in the meantime, we do ensure the rates we offer our guests reflect value for money, particularly in terms of service and standards.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

The room was horrible aging though I was paying normal rate but not the cheapest rate. The toilet smelt horribly. Daddy long legs kept appearing in the room though windows were closed. Room service dinner was the worst I have eaten at any hotel. Even any family pub would serve better food than that. Good staff customer service and free wifi were the only good thing. The restaurant was okay nice though. There were voids after the hubs on the road leading to the hotel which could damage tyres easily. You ought to travel under 5mph to go through the hubs. Basically, the hotel is in need of refurbishment. Staff and food (provided you eat in restaurant) were all nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us at Hunton Park.

I am extremely disappointed to read that we failed to exceed your expecations during your stay with us, in terms of the problems encounted in your bedroom. Please be assured the points you have raised have been fully investigated. However thank you for your positive feedback on our service and dinner in the restaurant. We do always strive to exceed our guests expectations at Hunton Park and take all feedback extremely seriously.

I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere in the near furture.

Reviewed 19 April 2010

Having stayed in budget hotels in Watford regularly we wanted something of a higher standard and when we found a De Vere we were delighted and booked for 2 nights. We were working late and checked in around 11 pm and were looking forward to relaxing and having a late drink. What a disappointment, the room was the equivalent of a single, very small, with what was supposedly a double bed. One side of the bed was against the wall so that one of you had to climb over the other to get in or out of bed. We phoned the night porter who straight away asked if it was the room with the bed against the wall, he was unable to offer us an alternative as they were full. On closer inspection the en-suite was dirty and not even swept and hair had collected behind the door. After a very unsettled nights sleep (small bed and noise of people using the toilet in adjacent rooms), we finally gave up. On trying to make a cup of tea found they had not supplied any, this we obtained by going to reception. We checked out around 7am, cancelled our second night completed a customer satisfaction form. We have not been contacted by the De Vere to date. Never again here or any other De Vere. As a result we found a new hotel which was cheaper, modern, cleaner and staff that couldn’t do enough for you.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!