“Remodeled but it still needs work.”

The Reef Ocean Resort
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Remodeled but it still needs work.”
Reviewed 14 September 2005

I have been going to Vero for almost 17 years. My family has owned a time share with the Reef for the entire time. Last year the resort was basically demolished because of the hurricanes. This was the perfect time for the Reef to redo the outdated facilities they had. I was not impressed with the rebuild at all.

The new appliances are cheap and do not perform well. The refrigerator is located in the corner where the door cannot open all the way to get into the drawers of the refrigerator. We didn’t have any patio furniture and had to ask the front desk for table and chairs (Patio furniture was on most of the patios). There was no TV in the bedroom and I am not sure if there will be based on the location of the cable line. There is a large piece of plywood attached to the ceiling where the AC vent comes in. It looks very tacky and not up to code. The bathroom is nice but very dark. We were there for 7 days and had to request an additional roll of toilet paper since the maid service doesn’t think it is necessary to replenish. I think the worst part of the trip were all of the ants in the condo. When I called the front desk, they said I can come down and get 2 ant traps (no more). I asked to be moved to an un-infested room and the refused. Do not get me wrong, this just wasn’t a few ants; it was hundreds of little red sugar ants. On the second to last day we found a large dead cockroach under our sink. We had to call the front desk and leave a note for the maid service to remove the carcass.

Outside the beaches are still covered with debris from the hurricanes and you must wear shoes at all times outside. The pool area is nicer than it was. The hot tub is nice also. The decrepit basketball court is an eyesore. It also doesn’t help that the Reef keeps it’s dumpsters in the open at the end of the parking lot. A storm came through each night and I was picking garbage off of the rental car the every morning. Bobby’s is the same old dark place it has always been, nothing special. You are better off going to Tango’s on Ocean Drive.

If you are looking for a nice place to go, Vero is the place. I just can’t recommend the Reef at this time and I am an owner of a time share there. There are not many options right in the beach front but it seems the Holiday Inn was in a lot better shape than the Reef. I will still go down next year to see if anything has changed. I will update if anything does.

• Stayed September 2005
13 Thank Nanuknchato

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brevard County Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2004

This resort is the best kept secret! It's quaint small town with shops and restaurants give it an excellent place for all to be. I loved dining at Bobby's Restaurant located on the premises too...has a lounge inside with outdoor patio, pool/spa, picnic area and my husband can fish right off shore on the beach. Nearby there's lots of things to see and do...Vero,FL across the bridge has plenty of extra shopping, theaters, a mall, an outlet mall and fine dining too. The library is excellent. The people are friendly and informing. Take a deep fishing rental day, or go scuba diving or just relax by the sea! The units have cooking facilities in case you feel like heating up something and staying home or just don't want to go out for breakfast etc. This resort is one of the best! The proximity of its location also allows for those wanting to venture out to Nascar Races, Orlando, Disney World/Universal Studios without the high rate expenses of another hotel or too much travel time to get there. You can spend the day at those places and return to your own place to sleep and catch the early morning sunrise the next day on the beach!

8 Thank mesmariah
HAVRE DE GRACE
Reviewed 29 September 2004

We came to the Reef on a trade from another time share place that we owned in Nev.---that was more than 20 years ago when we fell in love with it and bought our first unit. We now own 10 weeks there, some in the main building and others in the oceanfront buildings. We continue to enjoy going there, and over the years many improvements have been made because the maintenance is great. I reccommend it to everyone, and as a result, my husband's brother and two sisters have also bought weeks here, as well a our daughter. Mildred Harrison

8 Thank Heather R
Reviewed 28 September 2004

I agree with the person from New Jersey. I too stayed at the Reef Ocean Resort during "spring break" of 2004, the last week of March. I too thought that the reviews of the place on tripadvisor made the place sound wonderful, so we booked an oceanfront room. The web page completely misrepresented the size of the room, which was so small that 2 adults and two pre-teens could not comfortably share it. The smoke detector broke the first night, the paint was peeling, things were old and worn. I can see why nobody ever goes to Vero beach, when the tide comes in the beach is 6 feet wide at best. I was completely disappointed in our room and in Vero Beach as a destination. I will not return.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2004

I love that place. I go there every year and i always have the best time. The hotel is great and the people there are like family. Couldnt ask for more from a hotel!

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 April 2004

We were traveling to Vero Beach the week of March 20 to 27, 2004 and researched quite extensively where to stay. We relied on the reviews from Tripadvisor. The Reef Ocean Resort was rated the number 1 place to stay in Vero Beach. Based on these recommendations, we booked the resort. Our room was old and worn, with paint peeling off the wall in the bathroom. That, however, was not the worst of it! The room we stayed in, which was in the main building, was right above Bobby's Restaurant. Beginning around 9pm each night until 2am in the morning, the noise was unbelievable! So much for rest and relaxation. No wonder why when you check in they make you sign that if you check out early you are still responsible for the full payment. I would not reccommend this resort, at least the main building, to anyone. It was, by far, the worst place we have ever stayed while on vacation!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 August 2003

We were given a week anywhere in the world from a close friend, through RCI, and chose vero beach. This particular hotel ended up being so perfect, we bought a week and are now buying a second one! We have two toddlers and a place that has a gentle beach (with great fishing!!!), a pool that doesn't have a million people jumping and splashing, a total at home feeling, sufficient picnic/grilling/playground area on site, a fabulous restaurant with great food and entertainment that's a hit with everyone around, a laundry on site, outstanding maintenance and office staff, friendly security patrollers all night, and lots of nearby interesting sites....even a super-sprinkler park for the kids that's free! Once you drive over the Indian River onto Orchid Island, you feel you are on your own little island....and the flowers are gorgeous! There is only one thing I don't like bout the Reef Ocean Resort..........and that is the fact we can't live there all year long! See you there!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member