“A must do!”

Stumpknocker Tours, Inc.
Ranked #13 of 44 Tours in Vero Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Steve Hayes is the only Certified Florida Master Naturalist in the marsh that provides the most educational, exciting, humorous, and informative tour of the pristine headwaters of the St. John's River. On a one hour tour, you will see, and learn about the alligators, birds and flowers of the marsh, experience an exciting airboat ride thru the marsh, hear some stories that may bring a chuckle, or two, and I will bring you back safely. This is a great experience for all ages. Many that have been on this tour and have taken airboat tours around the state, and elsewhere, say that this is at the top of the list. Bring a camera and let's create some memories!!!
New Milford, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A must do!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This tour was the highlight of our vacation! Captain Steve was amazing! He was funny and incredibly knowledgeable. We got to see some of everything. There was so much wildlife: we saw alligators, marsh birds, we went through a rookery that was teaming with baby birds of all kinds. He's great about making sure everyone has enough time to take pictures. It was a great experience! I was so bummed when it was over and will definitely do this again.

Visited June 2013

New York City, New York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Excellent time. Must do.”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Drove out into the middle of no where for my first airboat tour and I'm glad I did! Captain Steve was on time, the boat was clean and everything went better than expected.After donning inflatable life jackets, (and a pink life jacket for my 4 year old daughter), we boarded the boat and donned aircraft headsets so we could talk. Skimming over the marsh is a unique experience and we saw a wide variety of wildlife. Two minutes into the tour we saw our first alligator, and that was only about 1 of 50 that we saw. Definitely bring your camera as there is a lot to photograph. Captain Steve's knowledge of the area history and wildlife was very informative and his banter was smooth and entertaining. I was worried that the trip would be too much for my 4 year old, but she loved it. Put this on your MUST DO list when other area.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bill D
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Had a great trip with Captain Steve. Very knowledgeable and professional as well as engaging. He was great to my kids and kept them interested the whole ride. We saw plenty of gators even though the wind was whipping. Also saw lots of birds and learned about each of them as well as the history of the conservation area. I can't recommend Stumpknocker enough. Don't waste your time with anyone else-Steve knows his business and knows how to work the crowd with corny jokes and lots of solid knowledge.

Visited April 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stumpknocker tour very enjoyable and educational”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We took a very enjoyable airboat tour with Steve Hayes of Stumpknocker Tours today. Captain Steve knew exactly where to find plenty of alligators - adult ones and little baby ones - and where to find all kinds of birds - osprey, bitterns, stilts, herons, egrets, and more. He was very considerate to those of us who wanted to take pictures. As a amateur birder, I was really excited to great some great photos of some birds with their chicks. He pointed out the various flora of the area too. As a Master Naturalist, he was well-prepared to answer our questions about the wildlife and plant life. We were also impressed that he meticulously sanitized the headsets before taking the next set of customers onto the boat, perhaps because of his training/experience as a paramedic with the fire department. It felt great to be out on the water today, and Captain Steve made our trip fun and educational at the same time!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank YT2252
Penfield NY
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Birds and Gators and Turtles, Oh My”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I have avoided airboat tours because they are noisy and seemed to just be about going fast. This tour company was better than that. The tour operator is a Florida Master Naturalist and had a genuine respect and concern for the marsh. Headsets are provided so you can hear him point out animals, birds, plants and other features. Also the noise of the motor is muffled by the headsets. A comfortable and safe way to enter into the natural world of Florida's wetlands.

Visited February 2013