“Florida 2014”
Review of Driftwood Resort

Driftwood Resort
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
Reviewed 26 January 2014

needed to stay somewhere for a night in between exchanges in Pompano and Kissimmee.....rented a hotel suite, very nice.....high ceilings, very large.....clean and typical Driftwood.....love this place.....not for people who are into luxurious penthouses but it is well maintained, great staff and on the ocean.....keep thinking of buying a timeshare here.......atmosphere around the pool is great with entertainment on Saturday.....lots of comraderie here.....

Room Tip: rooms on the south side have more sun......
3  Thank Norm907

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I and our 3 children spent 5 spring breaks at the Driftwood in the 1990's. Those weeks are some of our most cherished family memories. On a trip through Florida this week, my husband and I decided to stay one night after an 18 year absence. We stayed on an oceanfront suite and we felt it was well worth the additional cost, although with our children many years ago that suite was too pricey for us. It was wonderful having a private place to sit and watch the ocean in the evening and the sunrise on the morning. Great beach walking and boutique shopping too. Cravings across the street is great for an easy breakfast and good lunch sandwiches. Although the band in Waldo's was a bit loud, it was still a fun and entertaining place to be last night. Staff is super friendly and eager to tell you about the history and area. If you like cookie-cutter, ultra luxurious places this spot is not for you. But if you like fun and funky you will love it here! Our daughter and son-in-law and baby granddaughter spent a couple of nights there too earlier this month and my daughter's enthusiasm about the Driftwood hasn't waned either after all these years. Now I just need to get back there before another 18 years passes...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank moortime
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hard review to write, because there's two completely different experiences here. When we first checked in, we were assigned a room in the newer four-story building to the South of the property. It was uninspiring, and smelled of smoke. Had we stayed in this room, you'd be seeing a 1 star review.

Complained to the front desk, who didn't have anything available until we offered to pay more to be moved to a higher class of room in the old part of the resort. This room was STELLAR. It's everything I love about old resorts, quirky, clean, and with a lovely view of the ocean. Would happily give it a 5 out of 5. It had an awesomely odd bathroom and a loft with the steepest ladder ever up to it. :) But it was fun, and sitting on the balcony at night overlooking the ocean was priceless.

So, how do I review? First, make sure you know what room you're getting when you book. I would never stay in the other building; the extra money for the older building oceanfront is worth every penny. Second, the charm of the older building is its quirkiness. If you're not into quirky, stay away :)

Overall, had a lovely weekend. Just know what you're getting.

6  Thank Neutrino_FL
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The upside is that this is a historical, unique property which gives makes it interesting and it is in a good location, across from stores and walkable for shopping and by the ocean. The downside is that better maintenance is needed, and reworking the layout of the rooms, at least in the older section we stayed in. My first impression opening the door was: old motel room. The dank smell of mildew hit the minute the door was opened. The gasket on the fridge (which also had rust on it) was dirty and spotted with mildew, which was a gross out. The room was laid out to suggest a condo feel but really it was a single room, like an old motel, not particularly large. The bed was set sideways to the room and to the tv which was awkward if you wanted to watch tv while in bet. There were slide out partition doors beside the bed, in case you, for some reason, wanted to enclose yourself in a small claustrophobic tomb-like state in bed. Interesting feature, but unnecessary. Better to have a new, clean fridge. The good points were that there were some efforts to make the room cute, book shelves and knick -knacks, etc. The kitchen was adequately stocked for cooking although the inside of the micro was rusted around the turntable, kind of gross, and indicated lack of care, and some of the knives were dull. The bed, although awkwardly set up, was comfortable. The room was functional, but had a "make do" feel to it. Outside the door, there were rocking chairs and a table, which was nice, but they needed painting and the concrete floor was dirty and stayed that way while we were there. I saw some reference somewhere as to the place being "shabby chic", but on vacation do you really want to go where it is actually shabby? I would say that although the place has charm from some efforts, and to the founders eclectic collecting, much maintenance is lacking. I noted the same pile of bird poo on one of the stair cases our entire stay which indicated to me, that if a guest saw this repeatedly, why wasn't the staff taking care of it. Surely, it was visible to them. It was gross and seemed unsanitary. In contrast to other places we have stayed, I have seen maintenance staff constantly busy, cleaning, painting, etc. to keep things tip top.I didn't see this here. Another notable feature is that, although the place is beach front, unless you are in a front unit, or go down stairs to the beach, there aren't any lounge chairs close to the beach, so you can feel like you are at a beach front property. There is a pool in front of the restaurant on site, close to the ocean, but to use the pool, you must be willing to swim and lounge in front of and amongst the diners, so it isn't very private for guests. There is another pool at their more upscale Breakers units (which looked very very nice) which is more private for guests, but no lounge chairs near the ocean or the beach where you might like to sit and read or just relax oceanfront, to have the view without going down to the sand. I would say that the place has a lot of history and with more care and upkeep to get rid of the old motel persona, dirt and rust, etc. it really could be a place people might look forward to visiting. As is, it's just so, so...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lachase
Jeanne M, General Manager at Driftwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We have 11 buildings on the property, and you were staying in what was indeed originally a motel, converted to condos about 25 years ago. I'm sorry you didn't like the way it was set up. The sliding doors are there because the sofa is also a sleep sofa and the doors afford privacy should a couple want that if there are others staying in the room Obviously a microwave with rust is not acceptable and I apologize for that. We do have many different types of units in different buildings, perhaps one of the other buildings styles would have appealed to you more. There are no chairs on the beach because there is a concession for renting chairs across the beachfront of our hotel and the one next to us. We did just this week receive a designation by Indian River Magazine as the best hotel to stay at on the Treasure Coast. It is featured on our Facebook page. We recognize that we can always improve and hopefully you will find yourself in the area again sometime and give us another try. Jeanne Radlet, GM

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent New Yearʼs Day wandering around Vero Beach. We wanted to visit the Driftwood Resort as we had heard about the place from our friends. It was a cold rainy day,so lunch indoors seemed like the thing to do. Waldoʼs restaurant had a great variety in itʼs menu. The green salad and tomato soup as well as the Mahi Mahi were perfect. The service was excellent and we did not have to wait long to be served and attended. Another bonus, their coffee is great! As a Canadian visiting the U.S.I have found that coffee in restaurants not particularly good. I like my coffee strong and most places make a very weak pot of coffee. Waldoʼs restaurant served excellent coffee. We enjoyed our walk around the property and the food was very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Runningalong
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were undecided, eclectic quirky Driftwood or Conservative Kimpton, chose driftwood, stayed in suite 111, the oldest part of the resort. We had 2 levels, 2 sitting out areas, spiral stairs from 1 level to other, 2 bathrooms & full kitchen, never stayed so close to the ocean, ate in Waldo's, good food & live music when we were there Sunday afternoon, definitely the right choice. Mixed reviews on here, my advice for all USA hotels look at your room & view before you commit, loved it here

Room Tip: Check room out before you commit
1  Thank Sue&mike
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We chose this hotel because it was historic. I have stayed in many historic hotels because I love the older construction, furnishings, and quaint atmosphere.
I got an ocean front room-which was a blessing. Because my mother and I were able to enjoy watching the ocean from our rocking chairs on the porch, I am giving the inn 2 stars. The accommodations, however, we're appalling. The room smelled musty and mildewy. The foldout bed was so rusty, there was rust on the back of the mattress pad and the bed wouldn't fold out! I had to sleep on the floor.
I love the charm of historic hotels-this hotel, sadly seemed neglected and uncared-for. I hope the owners invest in refurbishing the rooms soon. The Driftwood Inn has potential--if the owners choose to take the responsibility to take care of it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SASmyth
Jeanne M, General Manager at Driftwood Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Very sorry you had a bad experience with the sofa bed in your room. Those beds are only 3 years old. We would have been happy to have someone come to the room to open the bed if we had been made aware you were having difficulty opening the bed. We have 11 buildings on the property of varying ages. We will be renovating 3 of those buildings in 2014, with more to come in the future. Thank you for reporting the problem at check out so we were able to correct before the next guest arrived but we wish you had let us know you were having a problem when you first discovered it so your stay would have been more comfortable. Jeanne L. Radlet, GM