“A unique and relaxing place at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Driftwood Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Driftwood Resort
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Vero Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“A unique and relaxing place at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2005

I have been visiting Vero Beach since the mid-sixties and although the town has grown exponentially over the past 40 years, the beach area remains very charming. Amidst the modern hotels and condos which have grown up along the beach area, two historic havens of hospitatility stand out. The Driftwood and the Ocean Grill. The Driftwood has had a hotch potch of sleeping accomodations added to it over the years, but still has the overall feel to it which is conveyed by its name. The weathered grey wood the characterizes the construction of the older buidlings is complemented by an eclectic collection of nautically themed objets d'art which the founder of the resort, Waldo Sexton acquired. There is a considerable choice of accomodations from rooms to suites to cottages. They are well-equipped and comfortable and the ocean-front ones are really wonderful with balconies right above the boardwalk and the sand. Sleeping at the Driftwood with the sound of the surf breaking is the most relaxing experience I know. While the food at Waldo's is fine, visitors should also go to the other marvelous old property just 100 yards from the Driftwood, the Ocean Grill. The restaurant literally "hangs" over the beach, supported by large pillars and if you are lucky you may get a table next to a vast expanse of glass overlooking the ocean. The menu has changed only in ways you would not notice over the past 40 years and the food remains spectacularly good. I travel around the world about half a dozen times a year, but the happiest stopover, which I try to manage a couple of times a year is at the Driftwood and I always include dinner at the Ocean Grill. The Driftwood was severaely damaged by two hurricanes in the fall of 2004, but at the time of writing, I can report that the management have done a spectacular job of repairing the Driftwood and, with the help of an architect specializing in historic preservation, is ensuring that it is brought back to its original character. I should add that I don't own a timeshare at the Driftwood and, despite my praise, have no connection with management of the resort. I simply love the place.

• Stayed November 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2004

We did a timeshare swop & were very happy with our 1/1 unit in the "old/historic section".
The queen bed was new & comfortable
Our bathroom was a step back in time with a claw foot bath, brass fittings etc.
The kitchen was small, but well appointed.
Although the unit was not ocean facing we were literally steps from the beach.
Waldo's (on site) was convenient and the food was good - pity no breakfast was served on Mondays.
We had a very enjoyable stress-free holiday and will definitely return

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2004

We stayed at the Driftwood Resort. Fabulous place. Although our condo was on the beach, our family values were never compromised. We were treated like family. The condo's were the cleanest I have seen! Waldo's resturant is to die for! Simply the best. I highly recommend going. Can't wait to go back!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2004

I stayed at the Driftwood with my grandparents last summer on our vacation to Vero Beach. It is one of the most beautiful and unique places I have had the privelege to stay at. The view was awesome and the staff and workers were exceptionally friendly. Our room was clean and neat and very comfortable. I had so much fun at the Driftwood and I look forward to this summer when my boyfriend and I come to visit!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2004

We stayed at the Driftwood with other family members and LOVED it...we have already recommended it to others AND sent them your brochure. We had all the amenities, convenience to everything, and the beach at our feet. Our neighbors were all very friendly and hotel services were top notch. Even tho we live in Fl year-round, we hope to come back and visit the Driftwood again, we loved it so much!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2004

First time to Vero. Nice little town and nice beach. However, The Driftwood Resort left a lot to be desired. We checked the place out on the internet and it appeared pleasant enough. I also read a few reviews which, while not glowing, did not scare me away. In fact, a couple of websites had it rated a 3 (out of five). The Driftwood is a 2--at best!
The place has been around since the twenties and it certainly shows. It doesn't appear the owners have put much money back into the common areas. The wife and I rented one of the studio rooms. The room appeared clean enough and fairly well-maintained considering the age of the property. It was about what I expected. However, I didn't expect the two inch piece of sharp metal sticking out from the bed frame. We found it about 20 minutes after we were in the room. Actually, my wife's leg found it and it caused a 1.5-inch gash. Upon telling the front desk (and showing him a picture), he said the metal pieces shouldn't be showing (Really? I can't imagine why). He said it was likely caused by someone jumping on the bed. That was the most ridiculous thing I heard all weekend. Luckily, these metal pieces were the only two metal objects on-site that were not rusted. No stiches were needed and it doesn't look like it will be infected so I guess all's right in the world.

We had breakfast at Waldos (the on-site restaurant) one morning, Big mistake. Food was bad (runny eggs, the bacon was either overcooked or undercooked, and they had no butter) and the service was much worse.

We will go back to Vero but will not stay at the Driftwood.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2004

The resort was fine...a little on the old side, but clean. The efficiency was ok with a rather awkward layout. The kitchenette was well equipped. A broken toaster was was reported and replaced immediately. When the reservation was made by phone, I was quoted a weekly price. At check-in, nothing was mentioned by the clerk about rates...I assumed that was settled with the reservation. At check-out, I was charged a daily rate for the 7 day stay...the clerk telling me I should have specified I wanted a weekly rate (about $100 cheaper) at check-in. I feel they were in the wrong. It spoiled an otherwise ok stay.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member