“we still love the Driftwood”
Review of Driftwood Resort

Driftwood Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“we still love the Driftwood”
Reviewed 10 April 2006

Can't believe the horrible review I just read from the people who stayed here in Mar. of 2006. We had our usual room on the first floor and dearly love the place--so much so that we already reserved the same room for next year. Restaurant food was good (we only ate there once) and reasonable with generous helpings. In fact, I asked about the taco spread that was set out because that is what I wanted for my meal and they told me that it was happy hr. and since I had ordered a drink, the tacos were free. My husband who is a bigger eater than me did order an entree. I will admit the front desk people were not real friendly. Some were better than others. We have stayed at the Driftwood more than once and fell in love with it from the beginning. We also like the almost daily free things like coffee and donuts on Mon. am, wine and cheese on Tues. eve., ice cream sundaes on Wed. afternoon, and $1.00 hot dogs, chips, and drink on Thurs. I'd better stop now cause I don't want it to sound too good or we may have trouble getting a room someday.

• Stayed April 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 23 March 2006

I have never written a review, although I have stayed in many places. And, I am a naturally upbeat, go with the flow-type traveler. Yet, I feel it is my duty to warn others to have a look at a room at this hotel before staying here because I was very displeased with my musty unattractive room accommodations.
The only really good thing was the view of the water, although it was hard to ignore the sublevel accommodation.
The first thing I did was wash the filthy windows so that I could see the ocean outside. The peeling paint on the outside sashes, poor carpentry job done on the new railing, and poor condition of the cement on the third floor walkway, gave me the first clue that this place takes its pride from its history, not pride in aesthetics and cleanliness. The inside window sill was filled with bugs, that I cleaned, and the curtains had stains on them. The door (no screen or window) was again ugly, with a rusting doorknob. The security chain was broken and what remained of it was rusted. The chairs outside the room had rusty nails so that one couldn't sit in them without getting rust on one's clothes.

The unattractive little living room, with ugly furniture, including a hard couch and a dirty recliner, dark rug, and a 1940's ugly bookcase with rust and doors that didn't move did not endear this place to me either. No thought was given to making this old bookcase look better, since it had a few books that were old and musty and an old cheap basket.
The bed was placed behind this bookcase, with a pilly bedspread, a dirty and stained blanket, and sheets that are of the quality found at the poorest hotels...very thin and worn. The sheets were never changed either, as I found the TV changer exactly where I left it...between the dirty blanket and the sheets.
The bed was jammed in this area that made it impossible to walk around the bed. There were drawers on the bookcase side of the bed cubby, but impossible to access...like putting a bed in a large closet. There were rusted floor tracts that louver doors couldn't slide on if one wished to further close this cubby, but then it would have even been impossible to get up from the bed without bumping into these louver doors.
There was a closet, but rust and mold were not inviting, so I never unpacked my suitcase. A large refrigerator, a miicrowave, coffeemaker, blender, and toaster...with old pans...but no hot plate or stove were in the kitchen area. The cabinet where the garbage pail was kept was dirty. The coffee packet was never replaced.
Ceilings were very low, sprayed with a grey-white popcorn finish, and graced with dim, dirty globes.

The bathroom was adquate, not attractive, and not especially clean, with some mold in the grout of the tub, and a toilet not spotlessly clean, either. Towels were found in the closet, with no one bothering to put them on towel racks. On my second day, the cleaning person put fresh towels on the couch, and no replacement of soap was made during my stay. No hair dryer or moisturizing cream, just cheap little shampoo. No soap was placed in the shower dispencer. Fixtures in the tub were old and spotted. Moldings of the bathroom, and throughtout the place were dirty, as was the molding around the mirror.

The walls looked to have been newly painted, with yellow spackle, the only nice thing that could be said about this room. A few nice pictures graced the walls. And yes, the upholstry on the kitchen table chairs were all stained.

The elevator to the room was dirty....

Need I say more? Of three people I met at the front desk, only one was friendly. No one thanked me for staying there, even though I was pleasant all the time.

Waldo's was not especially clean either, and the food poorly presented, with perhaps a C- rating. It was recommended by the only pleasant front desk person.

And no surprise...I would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
De
Reviewed 13 February 2006

Stayed 2 nights in room 122A (1st floor beachfront) which is a large efficiency - separate bedroom, living area and kitchen. Thought it was walk onto beach but actually need to walk to stairs that lead down to beach and you really can't see beach from room. Next time will try and get higher room floor which have balconies
I liked the buiding I was in as it was away from Waldos (restaurant/bar with beachfront seating)

2 Pools - one is in middle of Waldo's sitting area off the bar so I opted to stay at other pool although some people were enjoying the drinks poolside while listening to the band.

Also liked that the pathways had lights at night/early AM and next time will use the gas barbeque grill like others did.

This is one of best places that I stayed during my travels and loved the decor

Will be back next year

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank Visitor7
Seattle
Reviewed 21 December 2005

Stayed at the Driftwood in early December and had a pretty nice stay. They are doing some construction so you do hear the occasional hammer or saw, (but where in Florida won't you these days?). You get a lot of room for your money.

First of all, half of the rooms are practically on the beach. There are 2 pools and a restaurant and bar called Waldos. And things are in amazingly good shape considering the location and the hurricane season they've endured the last few years.

We spent the first night in a fairly low end room at "The Breakers" it had a queen sized bed in a seperate bedroom with seperate full bathroom, a walk in closet and sliding doors leading out to the pool. Also had a seperate livingroom/kitchen area with a small stove, small (but bigger than dorm sized) fridge, blender, microwave, silverware... you name it...a diningroom set, a recliner and a pull out couch and another sliding door to the pool area. My only complaint with the room was a slight musty smell.

Second few nights we spent a few extra dollars and got a "cottage". Very cute, detached from other rooms. No musty smell.

Bedroom with kingsized bed, huge whirlpool tub, and half bath. Large livingroom with 2 recliners and a pull out couch, a (fake) stained glass skylight and bay windows. Full sized fridge and stove, microwave, dining set, blender, corkscrew, 4 frying pans, coffee maker and filters... you get the picture. Another bath with shower off the kitchen/diningroom area. Only complaints here were the construction noise and that the ceilings are a little low, combine that with a tall person and ceiling fans and you have a potential problem, luckily it remained only a potential problem.

All in all, a pretty nice stay, I'd do it again especially if I had a crowd, (and in response to a previous review: all I had to do was ask for a hair dryer and they brought it right away). Make sure to ask for AARP or AAA discounts, one of them got us 10% off, can't remember which.

Waldos' food was surprisingly good and hit the bar at The Ocean Grill and ask Rosie for one of her famous top shelf margaritias, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2005
14 Thank still_althea
Reviewed 8 December 2005

I stayed at the Driftwood over a 4 week period for job related travel. I stayed in a number of different rooms at the Driftwood. I thought it was a great place to stay and the price was reasonable. The rooms were clean. One thing to know is that none of the rooms I stayed in had a hair dryer, so bring your own.

• Stayed December 2005, travelled on business
12 Thank acw2632
Reviewed 17 August 2005

This unique and charming resort had my heart the second I arrived. It's beautiful "old Florida" atmosphere was second only to the wonderful staff. It was the best trip I've ever had, and will be back! The beach is beautiful there, also. Loved this place, you have to see it to believe it!

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2005

My family recently stayed at the Driftwood in Vero Beach for a week. I would rate my stay as mediocre at best. We arrived late on a friday night and when we entered our room, in the 300 part of the building, we were greeted by what maybe was the biggest roach we have ever seen. The one bedroom two bathroom efficiency was ok for our family, and we didnt see too many bugs fo rthe rest of the trip inside. This part of the hotel, Im quite sure had suffered major damage from the hurricanes of 2004, and just re opened a few months ago.

The first morning, we all went to the beach, which was just a short walk from our room. We walked by the pool, which was acceptable, and we found the beach to be very nice, definitly the best part of the Driftwood.

We had read about the great restaurants at Vero. We were thouroghly disappointed on all 3 restaurants we tried. If you are looking for fresh seafood in vero beach, look somewhere else. The Ocean Grille, touted as being being the place to eat in vero, was very disappointing. My family of 4, including a 9 and 12 year old, spent a hundred dollars on dinner, and all came away very disappointed in the food. My 12 year old had shrimp. I noticed he want eating, he said the shrimp were rubbery and didnt have any taste to them. I tried one and he was right, very very rubbery, and absolutely no flavoring to them. This all for $18.95. The food was very overpriced and unflavored.
The restaurant at the Driftwood was more bar food than anything else. The locals find the Driftwood as a favorite local watering hole, ans the bar area was very crowded. The seafood was decent and normally priced, but yo uoculd tell the seafood wasnt fresh.
We also ate at the Lobster Shanty and again, the seafood wasnt fresh, but it wasnt as pricey as the Ocean Grille and the food was actually better. It still wasnt great but it wasnt bad.

If you really need a place to eat in Vero, try The Lemon Tree, right across from the driftwood. It has very good lunches and breakfasts for a reasonable price and the food was excellent.

If you like to fish, DO NOT go to Vero beach. There is no good fishing in the town. Surf fishng was non existent, We tried one morning and it was very very poor. No marinas in vero for deep sea fishing. They will send to down the road to where the Indian River and the Atlantic ocean meet for fishing at the state park, and we tried that too. All we caught was bug bites.

I would not return to Vero for any reason, esp with two children. Besides the beach, their is nothing to do, and nothing close by.
The hotel wasnt nice, the staff wasnt nice, RCI owners do not make this trade. You will be disappointed. This place is not a resort, it is a hotedl which hasnt been kept up. Dont make the same mistake I made

• Stayed August 2005