“Fun at the beach!”

Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fun at the beach!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was referred to the Sea Turtle Inn by a local merchant when my lodging was not available. The room had been cleaned but the antiseptic used was too strong for me! I left the windows open and went to the beach which was an easy walk. I toured the town and returned to my cute room. I heard music from a nearby hotel and went to enjoy that on the beach. They had a street fair that night, again walking distance. Cozy, family operation. Not plush but just right for my visit! They did not have an operator on duty 24-7 so have a cell phone handy - or skip incoming calls!

Room Tip: Small two-story hotel. Just enjoy the location!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 121Cintia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Allegan, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for two weeks in October of 2013.

The rate or rental agreement: The owner couldn't give me the same rate twice over several phone calls. It was constantly changing along with what kind of room I could have until I showed up to pay. If you are a contract worker looking for a place to stay, she is not so happy to accommodate, but in a pinch in the off-season, you can get a room for $1,100 per month. This is higher than the quoted rate so be ready for that. Don't let the owner hide behind her broken English (her first language is Brasilian Portuguese) just go somewhere else if the ever-changing rate perturbs you. Also be prepared (if you are making this an extended stay), to not have her give you a straight answer on how long the agreed upon rate is good for.

The property/the room:
The pros- Well-kept grounds which includes the pool. This is for the exterior, the landscaping, and manager's office only.
The cons- The room was in dire need of updating. Some sticky liquid was spilled on the counter. The refrigerator was noisy and dirty inside. The noise from the air conditioner would drown out the sound from the 1970's television. The room was so outdated that I felt depressed every time I returned. The mold and mildew (although not visible) was overpowering to the olfactory senses...no, it was oppressive. My clothes reeked of it even after multiple washes months later. Housekeeping had bleached the room and had a fan going when I got there, but to no avail. The staff was gracious enough to allow me to break the lease after two weeks when I couldn't get accustomed to the smell. Note: I do not believe that every room has this smell (or at least this intense of a mold/mildew smell).

Location:
The pros- If you are a beach-goer, the location could not be better.
The cons- Speed traps all around the island (maybe this isn't a con).

Staff:
The pros- The day manager is wonderful. She's professional, charming, and knows the area well. The groundskeeper (tall, older gentleman) is friendly and has a great sense of humor. The housekeeper might not speak much English, but she will go out of her way to make you feel welcome.
The cons- No 24 hour staff, no coverage for them during their lunches or breaks. If this property had around-the-clock service staff, I could have given this hotel an excellent rating under the service category.

Recommendation: I cannot recommend this hotel UNLESS walking to the beach and hanging out there is your ultimate goal. It would also help if your sense of smell is impaired. You'll also want to set your bullshoot detector on low if dealing directly with the owner. Please be patient, because staff is not on the premises but for about 40 hours per week.

Room Tip: Try to secure a rate electronically if possible so you don't end up bartering like you would at...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lance R
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We loved this property being 1 block away from the noise and busy area on Ocean Drive. We are able to walk the block to the beach and enjoyed the peace and quiet surrounding Sea Turtle Inn. This little tropical paradise is nestled in a beautifully landscaped area with fountains, flowers, swimming pool, laundry facilities, and even a nice library with windows all around to enjoy the views of the lush landscaping while reading one of their many shared books to enjoy. Sara in the office was by far the most accommodating and informative Hotel managers yet. She took the time to find out what food we enjoyed most and provided us with the best restaurant selection ever. We would not have found these restaurants on our own for the most part. Sara also made sure we had everything we needed in the room. We stayed on the 2nd floor and had a most comfortable bed to sleep in as well as a table chairs and sofa sleeper in our room. Plus there was a wet bar with fridge and microwave. We will be back next visit and will tell our friends and family to book their vacations and business trips here. SHHHHHHH! Its a secret.

Room Tip: pick an upstairs room if that is good for you. There is a nice patio upstairs covered with tables a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberly W
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed a few days and found property location to be the only good thing. Nobody around to greet non existent and impersonal. Worst part was how musty the room was. Any clothes in room were damaged/ruined by the mustyness.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Evening arrival due to flights. No one in the office but we did find an envelope in a box on the side of the office wall - the envelope had just our surname on it, no Mr or Mrs, just a small detail, but could have been more welcoming.
Having got in the room, tired and thirsty after a 4000.mile journey, we found a coffee machine!, hooray! alas...no coffee, milk, ......nothing.
Had to go out and find somewhere open to buy a coffee.
Room ok.....but wont be going back in a hurry

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annesteven
Ellicott City, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We found exactly what we were looking for in this hotel. It was, clean, comfortable and well situated. We typically like to avoid chains so that we can enjoy the charm of classic old style Florida. And we found that here but with all the modern conveniences and upgrades. Well done! We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpikeButtercup
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013

No, the Sea Turtle is not all granite counter tops and a lot of bling. But I loved it ! It is a charming gorgeous property with the most outstanding staff. Sarah is always pleasant and eager to help and offer information about the area and the maid service was excellent. Even the gentlemen who does repairs on the property was very pleasant.Yes, the beds could use updating but I loved the high beamed ceilings and separate dressing bath area in the rooms , and it was immaculate upon my arrival. The pool was sparkling clean and the location great. I was there during the slower season, October, and the place had a lovely homey feel. AS for the smell I did not notice a problem in the room. I also stayed in a beautiful condo in St Augustine beach..same odor. I think it is the Florida water. The wi-fi worked great for my stay. I can't wait to return...thank Sarah, Denora..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo