“Had high hopes...love Gloria Estefan..disappointed by her hotel”

Costa d'Este Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Vero Beach
miami
“Had high hopes...love Gloria Estefan..disappointed by her hotel”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Likes (there are a few): Ultra modern design, complimentary upgrade to ocean view room, two free drinks voucher for having to wait for room to be ready, direct beach access. The bellman and frontdesk staff are very friendly and thats about it. Complimentary valet.

Dislikes (many): $10 drinks, super overpriced food...I am from Miami and Im Cuban...you may be able to fool some Mid-west Folk, but I know good Cuban food and this is not it! I gave up on the "traditional Cuban fare" and opted for a hamburger and sandwich delivered to our room since the restaurant closes at 9pm and theres nowhere else to eat. With all the service fee, delivery fees and extra charges, the bill came out to over $50...for an average burger,cuban sandwich, and black bean soup!

The only way in and out of the South Tower rooms is thru a dark, sewage smelling stairwell.....what about this says LUXURY? I had to hold my nose everytime...It was awful, but the only way to get to our room. All the activity at the hotel revolves around a plain, no big deal, rectangular small pool...its crowded and you'd have to get up at the crack of dawn to get on of those double loungers pictured on the website. The service at the bar and pool area is SLLLLOOOW...you have to flag them down. They do not come to you even if you've been sitting there for a long, long time. Again, this should not be necessary at a "luxury" hotel with prices to match. The outdoor staff needs training! If you didnt get a limited and in high demand pool lounger, you're only other choice is to head out to the beach...they have about ten beach chairs with NO umbrellas and these too get taken very quickly. No service out on the beach. No information in the room on Vero sites to see and things to do around the area...no conceirge.

My husband and I got bored over just "hanging out" in the hotel watching people get drunk and doing all sorts of antics around the pool, We walked around outisde..there are a few shops and we preferred having breakfast at the Lemon Tree across the street because the hotel menu was so ridiculously overpriced. There are a few little touristy beach stores but really nothing to do in Vero beach...if you're looking to just lay around and relax, I guess this is the place for you, but theres not much else going on and everything closes early. One night we ordered a "palomilla" steak...a staple of the Cuban diet...a signature Cuban dish....easy to make, hard to mess up...my steak tasted old...and room service is served in these little plastic TV tray looking things that make you feel it came out of a microwave....are real plates too much to ask for?

With all the hotel choices in Florida, we definitely won't go back. This hotel is all hype and flash but little to back it up once you get past the pretty decor. I was not impressed.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank missmeli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2009

It is hard to express in words about how thrilled I am with this treasure retreat. I took along my 6 and 11 year olds for our first family vacation. As soon as I pulled up to the lobby, everything was taken care of. We stayed in a King Cabana room which is very spacious and has its own patio and a manicured lawn!!! From your patio you can see the ocean just over the sand dune. The pool overlooks the ocean as well with a huge hot tub. The place was as clean as mom's. Although the hotel is luxurious, I never felt out of my element with the kids. Just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. We ended up adding an additional day because we just didn't want to leave. I found my new home away from home. Only 1 problem arose while I was there and I'm sure it will be rectified in the next couple of days. At check out I questioned a $56 bill from their pool bar. When they pulled the itemized bill, I found that drinks I had not ordered were on my bill as well as a $10 tip I never signed for. I’m waiting to hear back from them after they pull the signature, if there is one. Next time, I plan to pay cash for food and beverage to avoid the problem all together. Go enjoy yourself but be sure to look over your bill!!
I did not notice the problems that other advisors wrote about. Although the floors are marble I couldn’t hear anything outside of our room. For inside the room I would recommend gliders for under the dining chairs. The pool area was always clean and chairs were usually available. Chairs were always available on the beach and I thought they balanced the locals with the guests well.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank laoniaon
Coconut Grove, FL
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I have family that have vacation homes in Vero Beach. When we visit them several times per year, sometimes we like the peace and quiet of a hotel. We \were excited about Costa d'Este and were VERY upset. THe DJ kept us up until 12:30 in the morning on Sunday with LOUD music and the service was not reflective of a luxury boutique hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TexanCoconutGrove_FL
Orlando
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Had a wonderful stay and trying to figure out next trip to this lovely hotel. Directly on the beash with very nice rooms. The photos on the websites are accurate and good representation of what you get. Had a great time poolside with one minor problem. The poolside bartenders are BAD. They are young and obviously never worked in a bar before.I had 4 mixed drinks and I think only two of them the alcohol actually got in the glass. At $6 per drink that is not good. On the good side the had a seperate person pushing Mojitos. She knew how to make these and you could get a pitcher for $35.00. Very good investment. The only other issue w had was with the Night DJ. If you want to sleep before 1 am, get a room looking away from the pool. It was very loud, our room was on the 5th floor and over the ocean. We could not drown out the DJ, even after closing the room up tight and turning A/C fan on the "on" position. Could easily have provided the same atmosphere with a few 1000 less watts of sound. and the Barking DJ is totally unnecessary. That being said these issues were not enough to ruin our Mommy/Daddy getaway.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanoOrlando
Miami, FL
Reviewed 20 June 2009

My husband & I stayed at Costa D'Este with his family, and we had a lovely time. The rooms were modern, very simple, and beautiful. We had booked 6 rooms in total, and all of us had balcony views of the pool. The ocean was a little cold and rough for our taste, but who needs the ocean when you've got a gorgeous pool & hot tub? Loved the pool chairs: very large that 2 or 3 people could fit in. Nightlife by the pool was very lively, and they had a DJ that played until midnight. The soundproofing is great, though, because we didn't hear a thing even though the music was still on. Great appetizers at the bar, and the food at the restaurant, although more of a Cuban fusion, was very tasty. Couldn't say enough good things about this place! The staff was friendly, and the price was just right. Definitely worth staying at Costa D'Este!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Miami,FL
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I just returned from a weekend at the Costa d"Este Beach Resort and I wish I had discovered it sooner. It is the perfect getaway for anyone who lives in Florida and is looking to take a weekend trip without going too far from home. From the minute you arrive you feel the a special vibe. The entrance and lobby area is beautiful. The registration was quick and Alfonso who had helped me with directions on my drive in was wonderful. My room was not ready, but I had friends who had checked in the day before so my bag was taken to their room and Alfonso told me he would let me know when my room was ready so we could move my things. The pool area is fantastic, with the most comfortable lounge chairs I've seen in a long time. A pool side bar is well staffed and we were given an electronic button to call for more drinks or to order food from the pool menu. I had a poolview king room and it was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were very good quality. You will find anything you would want in the room. From bathrobes and slippers to a docking station for your Ipod. In the bathroom there is a lighted make-up mirror, a powerful blow dryer and great toiletries. Vero is the perfect place to go and relax and Costa d'Este is the place to stay!

Oh, and the restaurant, Oriente is spectacular. I suggest you make reservations if you plan on having dinner there. The pool side menu is from the same restaurant and everything that we tried was delicious!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Winter Park, FL
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We reserved an ocean suite for our anniversary. When we arrived, the service did not match the price point. There was such a long line at the valet, we self-parked. No one offered to help us with our bags as we walked up, nor did they get the doors, etc. Seems picky, but when you are paying a premium, these are the services that should accompany the experience. Our room seemed lovely when we first walked in. UNTIL-the bellman told us not to open our window. When we did-we saw the employee parking lot, dumpster, etc. Then, when we walked out onto our patio, we were right on top of the parking lot. As we sat there, an employee drove up hanging out in his car (4 feet from us) finishing his smoke-not such a private patio experience. Then, the whole weekend, we never had a server offer us a drink poolside. We had to go up to the bar. We had to wait for poolside chairs because so many locals who are not staying at the hotel are there hanging out using the pool. They have no way of telling who is a guest and who is not. So, people walk up from the beach and use the amenities. Again, fine if you are charging $100/night, but not in this case. We were never able to sit on a chair on the beach because there is no cabana service and randoms from the beach use the 10 beach chairs they have. This is all too bad, because the hotel is in a good spot with interesting and beautiful decor. They need a new hotel manager, a serious overhaul on service, and need to figure out how to balance the local use vs. guest use.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple