Saddlebrook Resort Tampa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wesley Chapel
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I stayed Easter weekend. It was a lovely weekend but there were some bumps along the way. The really nice staff made up for the things that went wrong.

What went wrong: We made our reservations online and received an email confirmation with a list of the services included. Turns out the email confirmation was for a package that was offered for Easter in a previous year (not sure what year). There was confusion when we booked tee times and breakfast. We were charged for golf rounds and a breakfast even though our confirmation said our golf and breakfast were included. We chalked it up to miscommunication and decided to resolve the matter with the front desk. My husband also signed us up for "Play with a Pro." The website quoted a price of $150/person for 2 players that are guests at the resort on a resort golf package. We thought we were on a resort golf package but were told we weren't and ended up paying $419 for the 2 of us. They also had no record of our signing up. I also called to make a reservation for the Easter Buffet but only got voicemail. I left a message but no one called me back (really hate that). I tried to make the reservation in person when we went to dinner but no one could take the reservation while Tropics Restaurant was closed (irritating). We were finally able to make the reservation in person on Easter Sunday for the final seating at 4 pm.

What went right: We received an upgrade when we arrived. The golf courses were lovely. The Easter Buffet, even at 4 pm, was really good. Kyle at the golf shop rose to the occasion when there was no record of our request to "Play with a Pro." We played with Joe who was awesome and totally worth what we paid. Keelyn was our fabulous server at Dempsey's. The front desk folks reversed the charges for the golf rounds and breakfast and explained the snafu with the online reservations and incorrect confirmations. The driver was waiting for us when we arrived at Tampa Bay airport and picked us up on time Monday afternoon for our trip back to the airport. The starters on both courses as well as the marshals were friendly and helpful. Overall the staff was terrific.

The rooms are dated (noted in many previous reviews) but it didn't impact our good time. I would recommend trying to get a room on the second floor. We were on the 2nd floor and there were squeaky floorboards in the bedroom that would have driven me crazy had I been on the first floor.

Room Tip: Room 404 is on the 2nd floor and overlooks the 10th hole of Saddlebrook Golf Course. It also has a n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank G0ingn0w

Reviewed 27 April 2014

If you are looking for a superb tennis vacation, then you have found your destination! The tennis staff is very professional and extremely knowledgable on the very latest coaching techniques, tips and drills. They are able to analyze your strokes and give you very specific coaching advice that will most definitely improve your game. You will also get an incredible workout whether you take the 3 hours in the morning and/or the 2 hours in the afternoon. Howard Moore, who has been the Director since the legendary Harry Hopman days, is professional, motivational, knowledgeable and most helpful with all aspects of your vacation. He really treats you like family.
The food is excellent- with all local ingredients and and everything cooked fresh daily. Dempseys food was delicious- with Chef Michael even taking special requests!
The spa treatments were phenomenal. We got a deep Swedish massage from Drew who was informative and thorough. The facials were lovely.
The pool and the whole atmosphere of the resort is very relaxing. Everyone was so friendly and we had a fantastic time. It was a great value and we will be returning as soon as possible!!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed at Saddlebrook for a work event and had mixed feelings about the place. First of all, everyone was very helpful and courteous when helping us set up the event, they have a very well maintained pool area, but as a non-golfer there is not much else to do there or in the area. If you do not absolutely love golf, tennis or hanging at the pool 24/7 you might want to stay somewhere else on your personal time. I was able to get a two bedroom suite upgrade which was nice. It had a full kitchen that I did take advantage of, but the room is very outdated and very old Florida with wallpaper that hasn’t been updated in like 30 years. Also, for some reason there was bird poop on the couches and in my bedroom. Obviously a bird got in and made a mess, but I am just not sure why it wasn’t cleaned up prior to my arrival. Also, there was still garbage from the last guest ( beer cans) in the kitchen garbage and at night you don’t have any curtains over the bedroom windows, just shutters and so all of the lights outside are super bright. If you are light sleeper, this might be a problem for you. One major issue was the TV. For most the time, the cable was on the fritz and I couldn’t get any or all of the channels. Also, one of the remotes batteries was dead and I asked them to change them, but they did not. I am not a big TV person, but after a long day of working you just want to zone out, but this was not an option. We also had a lot of issues with parking as they only do valet parking or you have to park a mile away and get shuttled over. For our event, we were supposed to have a parking lot free for our guests but they dropped the ball and a lot of our participants had to park super far away. When a colleague of mine tried to explain that we were supposed to have a parking lot for the event the parking manager argued with her instead of accommodated, not very hospitable. I think for some people who specifically enjoy golf getaways this place would be fine, but for how expensive it is I would not stay for personal travel for what you get and how well the rooms are maintained. I have to stay here again for work and so I will see if they have improved by July.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TFISHY
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I booked an Easter trip package here with my daughter. The reservation agent gave us a list of items that were included with our package. Sounded great. The following day I get the email confirmation; notice some of the "included items" not appear on the confirmation email. So I made no less than five phone calls to get to the bottom of it. A manager finally rectified it by comping us the " included items" that really we're not included. The reservation agent had told us that erroneously. I had already heard about the mandatory valet parking so I was not as shocked as some reviewers when that came up. However it is a pain to constantly have to have small bills on hand every time you want to get your vehicle in and out of valet.
Due to this pain factor we decided not to eat dinner offsite the first night and Boy what a grand mistake that was! We went to Dempsey's steakhouse and attempted to order a steak that both my daughter and I could share as she is young and would not necessitate an entire $45 steak for herself. We asked if a steak could cut in half and cooked well and the other med well. They came back with "no we cannot accommodate". I was a little befuddled for a steakhouse of this caliber to not be able to accommodate a simple request such as this. So we ordered a bigger steak than we actually needed, as our waiter informed us that if we just ordered a larger steak there would be two different temperatures within that steak just due to the size and then take the leftovers back to our room. The steak was ok not the best or worst I've had. When we got back to our room the refrigerator was locked so I called the front desk to ask how we could unlock it to put our steak leftovers in it. We were told that those refrigerators are no longer usable and so we had to throw our leftovers out.
The room- we had a two bed suite second floor with balcony. We had a lightbulb out in the bathroom and it had a good amount of wear and tear. However we slept well, housekeeping fixed the bulb quickly and the noise was minimal.
Dinning--we attended the Easter brunch it had a great selection and was beautifully displayed, but there was nothing available short of a mini waffle that could be considered breakfast. We are definitely breakfast people and a lot of what was served was primarily for lunch and more dinner then any sort of breakfast and lunch combo a brunch should normally contain; so we asked if we could order some breakfast items directly from the kitchen and were told that no we cannot. Again,a zero for service or going the extra mile. This was after the floor manager told us to ask our waitress to order from the kitchen. Classic left hand didn't talk to right hand and we left unhappy.
Would not stay here again as the hits just kept coming (charged for items that we did not have poolside, had to wait for a corrected check) more $$ for valet as we surely did not eat dinner there the following night.
To be a resort of this rating and price point I'd say this resort falls painfully short of expectations. The valets were friendly and courteous though; considering you have no choice but to use them, they easily could have been worse. And this is all before checkout- can't wait for the surprises that'll bring.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank SandraA09
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Saddlebrook is an incredible tennis resort and a great place for a family vacation. Our family has stayed here twice (each time for a week). My children enjoyed the full day tennis clinics and I played in the adult full day tennis clinic. Both the adult and the junior clinics provide up to 5 hours of tennis daily and can accommodate players of all levels. The tennis facilities are beautiful. The tennis coaches are incredible; they are very knowledgeable and approachable. There are so many coaches that the clinics break up players into small groups of 4 or 5 players per coach and court. In addition to tennis, there are 2 noteworthy golf courses. Also, the pool is massive and is a great way to end the day. I highly recommend this resort for golfers, tennis players and families.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

For tennis, golf and pool loungers, Saddlebrook offers a good value vacation with clean rooms, decent service and plenty to do. The tennis courts and fitness center need face lifts and the tennis management is not entirely organized, but the coaching is good.

Beware, however, the Sports Bar/Dempsey's restaurant. Crazy, crazy prices that verge on criminal.......$50 steaks plus $8-10 for individual side dishes. Given these prices, I expect flawless cooking and service. Sadly, this is not the case. Both food and service were OK - just - but not even close to meriting such exorbitant prices. The Front Desk have no interest in recommendations beyond the restaurants in the Wiregrass Mall where the Mexican restaurant stands alone as being terrific.

Room Tip: For tennis players, Cluster 3 is perfectly positioned close to both the tennis courts and pool
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My family of 4 stayed here as the accommodations package of a Busch Gardens trip. The resort itself is beautiful. The landscaping is gorgeous and it has all the accompaniments you would expect of a resort..several swimming pools, several restaurants and shops, lots of tennis courts and a beautiful golf course. The staff is very helpful and polite. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which spatially suited our family perfectly. The room itself was a bit dated and could use some updating. The bathrooms especially. They have early 90s decor but were functionally fine. I would agree with other reviewers that the second floor may be better for noise purposes. We were on the first floor and could hear people upstairs walking around etc early each morning. The valet parking is mandatory and was kind of a pain as a tip was needed each time you picked up the car. The distance to Busch Gardens was an easy drive, only about 25 minutes straight highway. If we are ever in the area again and need accommodations for more than one night, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
Rodeway Inn of Wesley Chapel
Rodeway Inn of Wesley Chapel
#6 of 8 in Wesley Chapel
Hampton Inn Dade City-Zephyrhills

Been to Saddlebrook Resort Tampa? Share your experiences!